Thread: latest uvalde massacre scapegoat

Default latest uvalde massacre scapegoat

they've suspended the elementary school principle without pay. because "she knew about security issues and did nothing about it".

just when you thought you couldn't be any more appalled.

Default Re: latest uvalde massacre scapegoat

I'm just thankful that we don't really have to worry about security in schools here in Scotland, and that we don't routinely subject very young children to the terror of "shooter drills" where a 6 year old isn't told it's a practise and gets the emotional damage systematically installed at a very impressionable age to be paranoid and believe they are not safe.

It seems an absurd thing to think another developed country can't take for granted, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    they've suspended the elementary school principle without pay. because "she knew about security issues and did nothing about it".

just when you thought you couldn't be any more appalled.
    I predicted this as soon as the report was published.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62200507

Whilst the report is scathing about the failures of the first responders, this:
    is an absolute gift to the NRA and gun lobby arguing that there is nothing wrong with the US being armed to their teeth.
    Jamie, I'll say it before some US ammosexual pipes up. Dunblane.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

And what was the governmental and cultural response to Dunblane?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

That Uvalde has not fired every single law enforcement person invovled shows how deep the rot is in Texas.

They want to try to secede again? This time, show them the door, and give them a swift kick onthe way out.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Let's find a relatively lesser problem to distract. Whether defined by four or more shot or the FBI's "active shooter" or whatever, the horror of someone grabbing his (so far always a male) AR-15 type "assault" weapon and heads for the nearby mall or school, let's blame everyone around for these rare events and not deal with our very high gun suicide rate.

Our emphasis on "active shooter" situations ignores the fact that they are the smallest part of the problem. It also ignores the fact that if we ban "assault weapons" (as we have in the past) we pretty much solve the school safety problem.

We certainly don't need mass firings as a cure for mass shootings.

If there is a God in heaven the voters will fire that asswhole Abbott....

Well if a gun owner shoots himself on the quiet then it's only his or her family that is traumatised. A peculiar kind of freedom. But no one buys an AR to shoot only themselves.

#7. Excuse me if I laugh……… No use blaming a diety mate. Humans do these things all by themselves, not their invented gods. There are no excuses.

I was surprised when my relatives in education actually said the principal had a share in the blame. They don't excuse the police, but they feel the principal is also accountable.

I visit a lot of schools. They are locked up pretty tight, but only a few have their back doors on fire alarms. Kids pop those doors open to create shortcuts to their cars. It's hard to make that kind of environment secure.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    And what was the governmental and cultural response to Dunblane?
    https://peaceandjustice.org.uk/the-d...mass-shooting/

"In response to all the public commotion and the extensive campaign that followed the Dunblane tragedy, the Conservative government introduced the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997, which banned cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 cartridge handguns. In the same year, when Labour was elected, the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 was introduced, implementing a complete ban. All handguns (including the .22 cartridge ones) were to be surrendered by the end of February 1998. But the campaigners were still concerned that a permanent gun control organisation was needed not only to oppose any moves to reverse the new legislation but also to campaign for the tightening of loopholes in existing laws. A group made up of academics, lawyers and parents of victims formed the Gun Control Network, which is still active today, promoting research and informing the public."

^ I've often wondered what a civilized society looked like.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    That Uvalde has not fired every single law enforcement person invovled shows how deep the rot is in Texas.

They want to try to secede again? This time, show them the door, and give them a swift kick onthe way out.
    Yes. And I will harken back to my earlier comments on how Uvalde has been governed for decades now by Republicans. Inept, incompetent, likely-corrupt 'small-government' sorts.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    ^ I've often wondered what a civilized society looked like.
    You will be most welcome to visit, and see what it is like living without any FREEDOM.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.