Thread: Patagonia

Default Patagonia

Maybe I need to buy more of their stuff.

Default Re: Patagonia

Their Capilene base layers are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

One of my boyhood climbing heroes was Yvon Chouinard. I really appreciate his efforts at river restoration. The dude is a class act all the way.

Yvon Chouinard, yesterday gave his company away to buy and place into trust wild lands. Three billion dollars yesterday and $100 million a year going forward. It represents virtually all of his personal wealth.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Read about it in today's NYT. Amazing act of selflessness and world-citizenship.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/c...sultPosition=1

A half century after founding the outdoor apparel maker Patagonia, Yvon Chouinard, the eccentric rock climber who became a reluctant billionaire with his unconventional spin on capitalism, has given the company away.

Rather than selling the company or taking it public, Mr. Chouinard, his wife and two adult children have transferred their ownership of Patagonia, valued at about $3 billion, to a specially designed trust and a nonprofit organization. They were created to preserve the company’s independence and ensure that all of its profits — some $100 million a year — are used to combat climate change and protect undeveloped land around the globe.

The unusual move comes at a moment of growing scrutiny for billionaires and corporations, whose rhetoric about making the world a better place is often overshadowed by their contributions to the very problems they claim to want to solve.

At the same time, Mr. Chouinard’s relinquishment of the family fortune is in keeping with his longstanding disregard for business norms, and his lifelong love for the environment.

“Hopefully this will influence a new form of capitalism that doesn’t end up with a few rich people and a bunch of poor people,” Mr. Chouinard, 83, said in an exclusive interview. “We are going to give away the maximum amount of money to people who are actively working on saving this planet.”

Patagonia will continue to operate as a private, for-profit corporation based in Ventura, Calif., selling more than $1 billion worth of jackets, hats and ski pants each year. But the Chouinards, who controlled Patagonia until last month, no longer own the company.

In August, the family irrevocably transferred all the company’s voting stock, equivalent to 2 percent of the overall shares, into a newly established entity known as the Patagonia Purpose Trust.[/COLOR]

The trust, which will be overseen by members of the family and their closest advisers, is intended to ensure that Patagonia makes good on its commitment to run a socially responsible business and give away its profits. Because the Chouinards donated their shares to a trust, the family will pay about $17.5 million in taxes on the gift.

The Chouinards then donated the other 98 percent of Patagonia, its common shares, to a newly established nonprofit organization called the Holdfast Collective, which will now be the recipient of all the company’s profits and use the funds to combat climate change. Because the Holdfast Collective is a 501(c)(4), which allows it to make unlimited political contributions, the family received no tax benefit for its donation.

“There was a meaningful cost to them doing it, but it was a cost they were willing to bear to ensure that this company stays true to their principles,” said Dan Mosley, a partner at BDT & Co., a merchant bank that works with ultrawealthy individuals including Warren Buffett, and who helped Patagonia design the new structure. “And they didn’t get a charitable deduction for it. There is no tax benefit here whatsoever.”
    Last edited by David G; 09-15-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

as it happens, I'm in the market for a new fleece vest...
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Yup. *Unfortunately* - looks like he/his family is 'one of a kind'.

Perhaps will inspire.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Ya gotta love it - from the story, this guy never wanted to be wealthy, didn't want a 'big', successful company - he just couldn't help but make money/gain success!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Here's Yvonne Chouinard's letter announcing the transition.

https://www.patagonia.com/ownership/
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

So if this act increases sales from appreciative folks, is that good for the environment or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    So if this act increases sales from appreciative folks, is that good for the environment or not?
    I've read that ( fake) fleece clothing is bad for the environment, releasing a steady stream of micro-plastic into momma nature.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I'd expect it's 'relative', wouldn't you? Have to wonder if it's 'less than' the real mccoy. Plus - the profits going to environmental issues.

Maybe not perfect, but overall, a plus.

Absolutely a plus, an ironic one.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I've read that ( fake) fleece clothing is bad for the environment, releasing a steady stream of micro-plastic into momma nature.

Kevin

Yes. Patagonia literally came up with the idea of polyester fleece, and worked with Malden Mills to make the stuff a reality.

Some years back (early 2000s?) they realized that every time the stuff went in the wash, it produces a raft of microplastics.

They've been working on mitigating that. Part of the reason they've been moving back to wool.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

They've been using recycled plastic for many years.
    https://www.patagonia.ca/our-footpri...polyester.html
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

good things happen, thx.

Now THIS is good capitalism!
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I highly recommend watching 180 South if you can find it on a streaming service (I think I watched it on Red Bull TV).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1407927/

Ahh, it looks like Netflix would be a good place to a start looking.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I knew I read it here yesterday Joe, but I couldn't find the thread earlier.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I've been watching fly fishing videos from Patagonia- big trout caught while standing in waist deep freezing cold water and being buffeted by sixty plus mile an hour winds screaming down from the Andes. Not for the faint of heart- or those of us with no body fat JayInOz