Thread: Marine paint or not for occasionally used boat

Default Marine paint or not for occasionally used boat

I am building Richard Kohlinís 14í Whitehall. It is lapstrake planked with WRC. It is traditionally built with clench nails and some sika flex between the laps. It will be used maybe 10 times a year in freshwater and the rest of the time sit on a trailer. Is Marine paint a must ? I have heard some boat builders say donít get carried away with expensive paint. I have read in some books where house paint has been used. One attraction for me to not buy expensive marine paint is there is a better selection of colors. I would appreciate some opinions on the subject. Thank you, Mac

Default Re: Marine paint or not for occasionally used boat

My boats are all plywood, because real wood boats die here. I use nothing but porch and floor paint on my boats, which are all kept dry unless being used.

They get beat up pretty badly in fresh water, and Iíve never had a problem with the paint.

I canít imagine it would be otherwise with solid wood.

On a trailered boat porch and deck paint should be fine. However, if you want a marine paint that won't break the budget Rustolium Marine is a reasonable option. I have used it on my boat and works well as a roll and tip paint. Available at about $26/qt. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rustoleum..._sb_ss_sc_2_22

Color chart: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca.../topside-paint
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I use Benjamin Moore enamels on my ketch that floats for a year and a half between hauling out. she sails every week in season.

Thank you everyone. I am looking into the Benjamin Moore paint. I appreciate the suggestions. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    On a trailered boat porch and deck paint should be fine. However, if you want a marine paint that won't break the budget Rustolium Marine is a reasonable option. I have used it on my boat and works well as a roll and tip paint. Available at about $26/qt.
    Everything is relative, of course, but latex porch & floor enamel sells for about $33/gallon.

Works fine on my boats.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Thank you, going that direction, but decided to use Benjamin Moore oil based paint.
    thank you.

I've used Glidden Porch and Floor oil based paint on all my boats which get used about like yours. No problems.