Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garland derelict in his duty?

Default Garland derelict in his duty?

It would seem Merrick Garland himself is derelict in his duty if he cannot find a reason to indict Trump for dereliction of duty on Jan 6.

Default Re: Garland derelict in his duty?

Another issue that Beau had an interesting take on. I’m still holding out hope that Garland is going to prosecute, despite it taking a long time, though it needs to happen sooner than later at this point.
    Tom

Precedent, and not wanting to be the AG that does the work. Linked to the Divine Right of Kings and saving the American constitutions face………….

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    It would seem Merrick Garland himself is derelict in his duty if he cannot find a reason to indict Trump for dereliction of duty on Jan 6.
    This is not a crime for non military folk. In the military a crime is, has been committed. trumpslides through the cracks again.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

another gd let down

I am hoping that he is holding back so that he does not interfere with the congressional hearings. Too many people offering immunity to get testimony can make both efforts a failure.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Garland, a conservative, was appointed with a duty to ensure the precedent set with Nixon is maintained.

Immediately after taking the oath of office (protect against all enemies foriegn AND DOMESTIC), 46 should have ordered the arrest (and more.. Cheney gave him the tools, #gitmothelotofthem) of all suspected conspirators in 45's coup. He didn't.. he failed us.

The problem with the progressives and liberals right now is that they are still treating this situation like we are in a state of normalcy. - Malcolm Nance.

Garland was not too "conservative" for Obama to nominate him for SCJ. And he was not sufficiently "conservative" for the a-holes in the Senate to confirm the nomination. "conservative" indeed.

Garland was not too "conservative" for Obama to nominate him for SCJ. And he was not sufficiently "conservative" for the a-holes in the Senate to confirm the nomination. "conservative" indeed.
    Garland is indeed a moderate conservative, even more conservative than Obama. Obama nominated him precisely because virtually every Republican senator was on record saying things like "We would certainly approve an Obama nomination if he would name someone sensible, like Merrick Garland, but he's going to nominate an extreme liberal."

Every one who spoke about Garland at all, as far as I can remember, specifically said they would approve him without question if he were nominated.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

"Even more conservative than Obama"? I would not apply the "C" word to Obama, ever.

Does the Commander in Chief of the military fall under the UCMJ?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

So many charges to choose from. Dereliction of duty. Fomenting an insurrection. Instigating a riot. Many more I am sure.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    So many charges to choose from. Dereliction of duty. Fomenting an insurrection. Instigating a riot. Many more I am sure.
    BY Lhis supposed law only refers to thosem in the military. Check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Harrison, Ohio, population 11,000, has a dereliction of duty statute in its municipal code. Why doesn't the United States Code?

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...oh/0-0-0-10250

525.12 DERELICTION OF DUTY.
    . . .
    (e) No public servant shall recklessly fail to perform a duty expressly imposed by law with respect to the public servant’s office, or recklessly do any act expressly forbidden by law with respect to the public servant’s office.
    (f) Whoever violates this section is guilty of dereliction of duty, a misdemeanor of the second degree.

Though violation of one's oath of office or failure to carry out the duties of the office really ought to be a felony.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

"Even more conservative than Obama"? I would not apply the "C" word to Obama, ever.
    One definitely safely can.

Not an insane Rep con, but most assuredly conservative.

And Wi-Tom nailed why Obama nominated Garland.. as well as why Biden shouldn't have.

What we need is another Bobby Kennedy AG, and Garland is not it. If Biden fired him tomorrow I would be perfectly OK with it.
    Last edited by Gerarddm; 07-23-2022 at 01:14 PM.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

I’m sure the AG must realize that, in order to do his job, he must provide a weekly briefing to every bilge member.

General Grant was desperate to fire Pap Thomas right before the battle of Nashville, because he (Thomas) was a do-nothing, slow moving general who was, in Grant’s opinion, way too timid, and insufferably detail oriented.

After the battle Grant wasn’t quite so desperate, mainly because Thomas won so big that he basically obliterated the Rebel army facing him, to the point where it was never again a cohesive fighting force.

In the situation right now, a tremendously complex, multi-faceted investigation that is obviously ongoing and somewhat fluid, and where there is no real existing precedent to use for guidance, it might be well for us to be patient.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

^ he did provide that briefing just recently when he notified the DoJ that Barr's rule of not investigating candidates running still stands. 45 is running again.

I think he would have been better as a supreme court justice.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

As was Bill Taft. Garland will never be an effective AG. Thank-you Moscow Mitch.

Tom

The AG isn’t a lifetime appointee like a SCOTUS justice, and serves at the pleasure of the president. Blow up mccnnll’s head a little bit and get Joe to replace Garland with a someone who will put trmp in a cage.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

If the jury that tries Trump has to come to a unanimous verdict to find him guilty, what are the chances that at least one juror would be a Trumper.

Would not a trial be a futile gesture, as were the impeachments.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
    If the jury that tries Trump has to come to a unanimous verdict to find him guilty, what are the chances that at least one juror would be a Trumper.

Would not a trial be a futile gesture, as were the impeachments.
    ^ This. If Trump were taken to court & the gov't didn't win, it'd boost Trump's support hugely.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Fiddling while Rome burns..

Biden was 'just being fair' when he ensured Thomas was confirmed. Garland is 'just being fair' while the rot eats away.

www.axios.com/2022/07/22/trump-2025-radical-plan-second-term

A radical plan for Trump’s second term

Former President Trump’s top allies are preparing to radically reshape the federal government if he is re-elected, purging potentially thousands of civil servants and filling career posts with loyalists to him and his "America First” ideology, people involved in the discussions tell Axios.

The impact could go well beyond typical conservative targets such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the Internal Revenue Service. Trump allies are working on plans that would potentially strip layers at the Justice Department — including the FBI, and reaching into national security, intelligence, the State Department and the Pentagon, sources close to the former president say.

During his presidency, Trump often complained about what he called “the deep state.”

The heart of the plan is derived from an executive order known as “Schedule F,” developed and refined in secret over most of the second half of Trump’s term and launched 13 days before the 2020 election.
    more, horribly much more, at the link.

"The problem with the progressives and liberals right now is that they are still treating this situation like we are in a state of normalcy." - Malcolm Nance

Perhaps never has "Winning isn't everything, it's the _only_ thing" been more true.. but Dems would rather 'die with honor' than be as 'the greatest generation' and do what's necessary, however unpleasant. The greater horror is they put more effort into thwarting liberal/progressive change than thwarting Rep/GQP excesses!

A (democratic) Republic, _if_ you can keep it.. Theocratic Plutocracy, here we come!

On the contrary, Obama had 57-8 votes in the Senate. All he had to do was blow up the filibuster to deliver of Med4All, getting money out of elections, voting rights, ending gerrymandering, and much more.

He was no sort of progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    On the contrary, Obama had 57-8 votes in the Senate. All he had to do was blow up the filibuster to deliver of Med4All, getting money out of elections, voting rights, ending gerrymandering, and much more.

He was no sort of progressive.
    what is the mechanism whereby the president “blows up” the filibuster?

the senate makes their own procedural rules.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    On the contrary, Obama had 57-8 votes in the Senate. All he had to do was blow up the filibuster . . .
    Right, and as President, he can do that how?

The Senate (and the House) make their own rules, and the will was not there to do that.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

just as biden can't do it.

just as president bernie could not have done, either, had he won election.

i guess bernie is no sort of progressive either.

That's because you don't understand that, from a world perspective, there is no "liberal" side of the political spectrum in the U.S. The Democrats, including Obama, are a center-right party. You know, conservatives.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    just as biden can't do it.

just as president bernie could not have done, either, had he won election.

i guess bernie is no sort of progressive either.
    Just curious if there is a political thread anywhere in the Bilge where you have posted without mentioning Bernie Sanders? This one's about Merrick Garland...

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Default Garland derelict in his duty?

I am still holding out hope that he does the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Picture Merrick Garland with half of his face painted blue, telling his staff of DoJ RICO warriors to “hold… hold… hold…”

I’m guessing it’s sorta like that.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

I am still holding out hope that he does the right thing.
    ISTR this was also said and felt of Mueller, another conservative investigator/prosecutor. Also, SDNY dropped their case just as investigators felt they had cinched it. Google 'sdny investigation trump' and see what's being said.. by very mainstream media. NYT, Law Blogs, etc.

It's over, we were - as usual - scammed.

The kind of investigation and presumed charges againd donald are the kind of thing that only a cautious conservative can mount and prosecute. Hasten slowly. Any charges will have to be absolutely watertight, and a more partisan AGr likely could not carry against a RW USSC. As it is the DOJ may not anyhow.

Seems like Garland's been doing something after all.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott