Thread: Ventilator recommendations?

Default Ventilator recommendations?

I'm thinking about installing one or even two of those solar powered day / night ventilators in the cabin top of our sloop, right over the forward V berth, pulling air in. The idea is to have a nice, gentle flow of cool air over the sleepers below.

Bad idea? Am I asking for a wet berth? Brands?

Anyone have experience with these new fangled gadgets? too good to be true?

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

Default Re: Ventilator recommendations?

I've had boats with these. They do move the air, they don't leak at all in my experience -- but they do not move a lot of air. They'll stop condensation or overheating when the boat is left unattended, they'll remove cooking odors, etc., but I can't say you'll feel the air moving over your berth. For that, you'll want to add a 12V fan. Or open a hatch and add a wind scoop.
    -Dave

Yep, they do help keep the inside conditions better for the boat, but don't expect to bask in a cool breeze in your bunk as it's not going to happen.

Had several on different boats. They do their job, which is not a breeze wafting over your hot bod. Install them and be realistic about what they do.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I took one off, constant rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr was becoming annoying.

They run when the sun hits them. Unless you are sleeping during the day, you aren’t going to feel them at night. We have one in our aft cabin (saloon) and like Bruce, the whirring noise drives us nuts. Most of the time it has a potholder and bungee cord over the top of it. But it’s never leaked.

I put one on my house (home) in direct sun light, I didn't notice much (enough) movement of air and it stopped running after about a year, dead.
    Then I was rather sorry I had put a hole in my roof...

I put one into the roof of my garage/shopspace nine years ago, it works great! But as the roof ridge runs N/S, the solar panel points S/SW so fan runs only mid- to late afternoon. But it helps keep heat down when it runs. In winter it’s not needed and the open hole was a heat-waster so I built a magnetic-closed hatch out of 2” EPS hinged so I could open it when needed. Also wired in a magnetic reed switch so when hatch is closed the fan won’t run.

For a boat I’d have to believe any kind of powered vent’d be helpful with another fan inboard to keep air moving. Solar-powered though? Only when the sun shines….
    When the people wanted the Constitution amended, it was amended. When the elites wanted the Constitution amended, but the people did not, that is called democracy."

Thomas Sowell, JWR August 3, 2022

the day/night versions have a rechargeable 'C' battery soldered into the circuit
    they run at night as well

I remember Paladin giving instructions here for how to replace the cheap battery they come with with a much better alternative.

Any brand recommendations?

When I go looking for them on-line the Marinco keeps popping up, but all the negative reviews on amazon keeps me from ordering one. They are not cheap, and it's an awful big hole to cut in the deck for something that may not work out....

Amazon.com : Marinco Solar Powered and Passive Vents : Sports & Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post
    Any brand recommendations?

When I go looking for them on-line the Marinco keeps popping up, but all the negative reviews on amazon keeps me from ordering one. They are not cheap, and it's an awful big hole to cut in the deck for something that may not work out....

Amazon.com : Marinco Solar Powered and Passive Vents : Sports & Outdoors
    I was thinking of installing one in the fore hatch. Mainly for the time the boat is swinging to her mooring. Or sitting in the boatyard for the winter. When onboard we’d just have the hatch open.

I installed the Marinco 3” solar vent in the foredeck of my Bridges Point daysailor.
    it works fine and the install was easy, but as noted above it moves just a whisper of air.
    I only wanted it to keep the air moving in the tiny cabin, so should be good enough. But highly doubt it would be even noticeable used to cool you at night.
    Rick Betterley
    Friendship, ME
    15’ Penobscot Wherry
    24’ Bridges Point daysailor
    21’ Padebco Center console

If you want to have some air flow, use one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonCommerc...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    I bought 3 of them 5€ each in Greece. They do the refreshing job with very low noise.
    I confirm solar vents don't make a really noticeable flow but since they work all day + the battery time they actually renew the air inside the boat.
    Mine are from 1997 and are still working... I had to renew the batteries of course.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr