Thread: Unusual doubleender sighted

Default Unusual doubleender sighted

I came across this interresting boat a couple of weeks ago and took photos and now I want to share them.

The boat is a "krokstamna" motorboat of the first generation built after motors became available to ordinary fishermen. Essentially a traditional skötbåt built a little bit beamier and deeper with 6 strakes instead of the traditional 3-5 strakes. The traditional framing is all there with just two engine frames added. There are mast steps for two masts just like in a skötbåt so it apparently carried a full spritsail schooner rig just like it's predecessors. Actually the placement of the main mast goes back to the square sail era. When spritsails took over in the mid 19th century another mast was added forward. I would guess it was built in the 1920-ies before boatbuilders learned that a motorboat needs more flare in the bow so not to be driven under in bad weather. The curved sheer may maybe indicate that it may have been built in the outer part of the archipelago outside Vasa. Boatbuilders in the inner parts of the archipelago tended to build with a slightly flatter sheer curve.
    IMG_5001liten.jpgIMG_5005liten.jpgIMG_5002liten.jpg
    The motor is most likely a Wickström W1 from the 1970-ies or thereabout. It should be around 6 hp. The original engine was probably 4 or 5 hp.
    There aren't many such boats in use anymore.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Default Re: Unusual doubleender sighted

Nice pram sloop there too. Thanks. Beautiful.

I was there setting up the rig of that pram for a customer. I welded up the rig fittings for it and put it together as far as I could last autumn and she wanted me to set it up and assemble everything.

The bigger frame heads look to fix to the inboard of the inwale rather than between the inwale and plank like ribs do. Unless it goes both sides? Is that normal, looks a bit different to an English eye anyway. Lovely sheer.

The three traditional main frames with crossbeams (called beto) one at each rowing bench and one at the main mast normally go outside the inwale. So do the engine frames. The rest of the frames both steamed and hewn fit into pockets cut into the lower back corner of the inwale. The inwale are clench nailed tight up against the sheer strake.

That's a great looking old boat.