Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we at least agree that this is ridiculous?

Default Re: Can we at least agree that this is ridiculous?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The official charge against AOC was blocking traffic, but I suspect that means nothing in the greater scheme of things.

If the police were arresting me, I'd probably want my hands behind me, too. It is less like a gesture that could be turned into an assault against the officer.

I think AOC did the right thing.
    It was a insurrection.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    ^^^^^ this ^^^^^
    Still copying others i see.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    It was a insurrection.
    you are so bankrupt.

hard to believe you were ever a man.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Grandstanding by protestors or grandstanding by liberal media? I don’t get your focus on this event. Is there a way these people could have protested without grandstanding? I mean isn’t that the whole point of the protest to get attention, in other words, grandstanding?
    To be fair, I think Boatbum has a point, Lee.

If--and it's purely speculative at this point, but certainly plausible--if the protesters held their hands behind their backs in an attempt to make viewers believe police had handcuffed them when they were not handcuffed, then that's manipulative and deceptive. It would amount to pure demagoguery aimed at inciting a more energetic reaction to the way police handled protests.

At the same time, to focus on this certainly serves as a distraction from more important issues, such as an armed insurrection aimed at overthrowing the nation's rightful government--an attempted coup that had the active backing and support of elected representatives of the government. That is serious business.

Even so, pretty much any news that isn't about climate change is pure distraction and avoidance. Even a Republican-backed attempted coup.

So if we're going to accuse Boatbum of distraction, let's acknowledge that every time we discuss anything that isn't climate change-related, we're doing the same thing: addressing a problem that is far smaller than the real problem hiding behind the curtain.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    OK, do you agree that the GOP have no moral compass?
    Can we agree the falklands should be returned to Argentina..

There, i can be off topic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    The Guardian reports that they were cuffed:

They appear to have gotten it wrong. It looks like it's not just AOC--all the protesters held their hands behind their backs. Instructions from police? Attempt to rev up the crowd by looking handcuffed?

Fairly trivial stuff, arguably ridiculous if they were pretending to be handcuffed. But good for them for being willing to be arrested in protest of the recent SC decision, which is undeniable evidence of radical right-wing activism from the "conservative" justices looking to promote a theocracy.

Tom
    Actually the decision brings it back to the states where citizens can debate and vote.

Seems AOC hates it when citizens can vote rather then have non elected folks in black robes decide..

Thats the opposite of establishing a theocracy..

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I'm impressed with the riot gear when apprehending sa middle aged woman, congresswoman, in a skirt.

This ain't Jan 6th
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 07-20-2022 at 01:18 PM.

The phase "poo flinging monkey" comes to mind here

Actually the decision brings it back to the states where citizens can debate and vote.
    Fair enough, kind of. Except...

State level gerrymandering is rampant, and has been honed by Republicans to laser-point accuracy. And the USSC has so far refused to intervene to protect democracy. So, there's that...

Then, too, Republicans are doing all they can at state levels to restrict voting, with alarming levels of success.

In the long game, that adds up to a theocracy. Worse, a theocracy by minority rule. (Probably more accurate to say "plutocracy masquerading as a theocracy," except that when you worship $$$, they are the same thing).

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

AOC Still Handcuffed As Capitol Police Misplaced The Invisible Key
    Jul 20, 2022 - BabylonBee.com
    Article Image
    POLITICS
    WASHINGTON, D.C. AOC is still being held 1 day after her high-profile arrest at the Supreme Court building, as Capitol Police have confirmed that they misplaced the invisible key for her invisible handcuffs.

"Well, this is embarrassing," said Capitol Police Chief Ingrid Surrection. "We always misplace our invisible key! Whose idea was it to make it invisible, anyway?"

Sources say AOC is still standing in front of the Supreme Court, her hands invisibly bound together as the invisible police car also never showed up to take her to jail. "I remain committed to bravely fighting for the fundamental human right to kill babies," said the Congresswoman. "I will stay here for as long as it takes, but I hope the police find the key soon. I have to go to the bathroom."

At publishing time, Capitol Police found the invisible handcuffs back at the station and realized no one had ever actually handcuffed AOC. They are currently taking bets to see how long she'll stand there until she figures it out.

bla bla bla bobbys hates AOC in direct proportion to how much he loves Sara Palin
    1. Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?

2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

Font: Courier New
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Most peaceful public protests are theater. Yes, it's silly; it's also utterly trivial.

I tell you Boatbum, if that's the worst thing you can find to complain about, we're doing very well indeed.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    AOC gets arrested, which is accurate, but all the liberal sites only show pictures and photos of her from the front where it appears that she is handcuffed. On all the liberal sites the video ends before she triumphantly raises her arm which would have completely shattered the image of her being arrested.
    In many locations, a peaceful protest has had much more serious consequences.
    Life is complex.

I wonder if bobbys knows caribou Barbie is single yet?

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I wonder if bobbys knows caribou Barbie is single yet?
    I remember when she out debated joe, that should have been the first clue.

Bla bla bla
    1. Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?

2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

Font: Franklin Gothic Medium

It was a insurrection.
    Sorry bobbys, I didn't see a gun in the congresswoman's hand. OH WAIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Most peaceful public protests are theater. Yes, it's silly; it's also utterly trivial.

I tell you Boatbum, if that's the worst thing you can find to complain about, we're doing very well indeed.
    I just struck me as absurd when I saw the full video. I wish that was all I had to complain about.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    you are so bankrupt.

hard to believe you were ever a man.
    I was there, just invisible, saw the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Grandstanding by protestors or grandstanding by liberal media? I don’t get your focus on this event. Is there a way these people could have protested without grandstanding? I mean isn’t that the whole point of the protest to get attention, in other words, grandstanding?
    let’s just not pretend that police are handcuffing people for blocking traffic. If it s a legitimate protest then why the need to embellish it by pretending that she was handcuffed. As a congresswoman I’m pretty sure she enjoyed the privelidge of kid glove treatment. Was her cause not serious enough that she had to embellish it. This how you end up with people like Joe Biden claiming he was arrested with Nelson Mandela.

what is sad about this is your willingness to diffuse, distract and defend instead of just admitting the obvious.

GThe only thing she didn't do was get a permit for the protest. I thunk anyone that is not cimpletely sees she's not handcuffed. Pretending?

I was there, just invisible, saw the whole thing.

Font: Georgia

bla bla bla

Font: Impact

Giving this thread a quick review, it appears that no one has answered the OP's question. So, here goes:

No, we can't agree.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

Font: Georgia
    Now we're getting to some decent fonts. I'm glad you've moved past this sans serif nonsense.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

To be fair, I think Boatbum has a point, Lee.

If--and it's purely speculative at this point, but certainly plausible--if the protesters held their hands behind their backs in an attempt to make viewers believe police had handcuffed them when they were not handcuffed, then that's manipulative and deceptive. It would amount to pure demagoguery aimed at inciting a more energetic reaction to the way police handled protests.

At the same time, to focus on this certainly serves as a distraction from more important issues, such as an armed insurrection aimed at overthrowing the nation's rightful government--an attempted coup that had the active backing and support of elected representatives of the government. That is serious business.

Even so, pretty much any news that isn't about climate change is pure distraction and avoidance. Even a Republican-backed attempted coup.

So if we're going to accuse Boatbum of distraction, let's acknowledge that every time we discuss anything that isn't climate change-related, we're doing the same thing: addressing a problem that is far smaller than the real problem hiding behind the curtain.

Tom
    Thank you Tom.

Boatbum has not thrown up distractions - others have & it's childish.

There are real questions out there about whether or not AOC & others faked being handcuffed & the pictures from the front as she's led off DO look as though she's handcuffed.

They are all videos, but here's an example: https://www.newsweek.com/aocs-feigne...pinion-1726177

Folks here shouldn't deny reality simply because they don't like the poster.

[end soapbox]
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    AOC gets arrested, which is accurate, but all the liberal sites only show pictures and photos of her from the front where it appears that she is handcuffed. On all the liberal sites the video ends before she triumphantly raises her arm which would have completely shattered the image of her being arrested.

I saw that too. I thought that was hilarious. I like her a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I think no one was fooled. It was not just AOC. Ilhan Omar did the same thing. The protesters were chanting: "Take your hands off our bodies."

I also think the intentional symbolism is apt and to the point. The imagery is women in shackles. That is sort of where we are at, no? The legality of birth control is also under attack by the radical-right.

I like AOC. She pi$$es off all the right people.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

AOC is smart and relentless.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret
    There are real questions out there about whether or not AOC & others faked being handcuffed & the pictures from the front as she's led off DO look as though she's handcuffed.
    To directly answer the question posed in the thread title.... No, I don't think is ridiculous at all.

Apart from the symbolism of the act, I actually think it is a smart move for any peaceful protester arrested for civil disobedience. When one's hands are behind one's back it is difficult for police to claim that one is resisting arrest justifying a beating. A smart move particularly when the peaceful protester arrested for civil disobedience is a minority.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-20-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I think no one was fooled. It was not just AOC. Ilhan Omar did the same thing. The protesters were chanting: "Take your hands off our bodies."

I also think the intentional symbolism is apt and to the point. The imagery is women in shackles. That is sort of where we are at, no? The legality of birth control is also under attack by the radical-right.

I like AOC. She pi$$es off all the right people.
    I agree absolutely, the symbolism is absolutely accurate, regardless of the existence of cuffs or zip ties or anything else. The HC's shackles are on every woman in the US. And watch out Bobbys, they are coming for your liberties soon.
    Look up Martin Niemoller

The Guardian reports that they were cuffed:

They appear to have gotten it wrong.

Tom
    Nowhere does the linked article say anyone was handcuffed...

I can tell you for certain that you can be arrested and "escorted" away without being cuffed...
    Cuffs are used if the police are frightened of retaliation, escape or both.

From the Guardian:

The officers then arrested the lawmakers, escorting them to an area taped off away from the street.

Was one of them Susan Collins?

Tom
    Nobody saw her or heard a peep out of her so she must have been.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Nowhere does the linked article say anyone was handcuffed...
    Not anymore, it doesn't. From that link:

This article was amended on 20 July 2022 to remove a reference to the lawmakers being handcuffed by police.
    My original quotation was from the uncorrected article. Good to see that they fixed the error so quickly.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com