Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calls for a walgreens boycott grows

Default calls for a walgreens boycott grows

I live in NJ which is not only a blue state, but also enshrined abortion into our laws. It would take a Federal law to stop it here. The current crop of laws popping around the country denying abortion seems to have emboldened the idiocy here too.

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/07/walg...ancy-test.html
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: calls for a walgreens boycott grows

We used to say these people crawled out from under rocks. I’m beginning to doubt there are enough rocks for this explanation.

Seems like the employees aren't following company policy. Maybe Walgreen's doesn't enforce it properly, but the policy itself seems reasonable enough.

Our policy allows pharmacists to step away from filling a prescription for which they have a moral objection. At the same time, they are also required to refer the prescription to another pharmacist or manager on duty to meet the patient's needs in a timely manner.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Seems like the employees aren't following company policy. Maybe Walgreen's doesn't enforce it properly, but the policy itself seems reasonable enough.
    Perhaps we sometimes should cater to the stupid and Walgreens policy seems reasonable if enforced. Few people seem willing to bend even a small fraction in these contentious days while most people used to just let such things alone and not make a big deal out of it.

Leaning on Walgreen's to enforce their own rules seems like a good idea. I'm not sure about the wisdom of a boycott. but that's a tactical question.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Calls grow.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
    Perhaps we sometimes should cater to the stupid and Walgreens policy seems reasonable if enforced. Few people seem willing to bend even a small fraction in these contentious days while most people used to just let such things alone and not make a big deal out of it.
    No. We should NOT 'cater to the stupid' - it only emboldens them. What they need is a real smack-down, unemployment style. Get the bastids out of the business if they can't meet the requirements.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Seems to me Walgreens should screen their employees a bit better. Perhaps telling potential hires "This is a pharmacy, if you object to selling anything we sell here, find another job."

Of course I have zero tolerance for religion in all its forms.

I'd like to see that, as well - though a 'zero tolerance' for not providng customer service, even if that meant having someone else cover, would be reasonable and effective.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    No. We should NOT 'cater to the stupid' - it only emboldens them. What they need is a real smack-down, unemployment style. Get the bastids out of the business if they can't meet the requirements.
    A short course in reality might help. Some things just are too powerful to do the things you suggest.

This crap is ridiculous. Your religious freedoms are to choose for YOURSELF, not anyone else. When failing to do your job because of what you believe personally, forces another who doesn't share those beliefs to suffer in some way, there should be consequences.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

One good reason to take this pharmaceutical business elsewhere. Luckily, we don't have one here.

A sign on the entrance:

NO SHOES
    NO SHIRT
    NO SERVICE

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT
    TO INFLICT OUR MEDIEVAL BELIEFS
    ON EVERYONE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATRONAGE
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I am a big believer in "Don't spend your money where you aren't treated properly." A boycott makes perfect sense and it may be the only thing that management hears.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

How this cashier retains his job after this is beyond me...

In many cases, my neighborhood among them, there is a CVS directly across the street from the Walgreen 's - making an alternate choice becomes easier . . .

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

but the policy itself seems reasonable enough.
    Really? B*** S***! The employees took the job knowing that Walgreens sells birth control products and dispenses birth control medications.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith
    I am a big believer in "Don't spend your money where you aren't treated properly." A boycott makes perfect sense and it may be the only thing that management hears.
    Correct. Money talks and bull**** walks.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

but the policy seems reasonable enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine
    Really? B*** S***! The employees took the job knowing that Walgreens sells birth control products and dispenses birth control medications.
    ^
    This.

What's next? Physicians refusing to provide certain kinds of health care?

Oh wait....
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Our policy allows pharmacists to step away from filling a prescription for which they have a moral objection. At the same time, they are also required to refer the prescription to another pharmacist or manager on duty to meet the patient's needs in a timely manner.

Seriously - what's the pharmacist's moral objection? Nobody is forcing them to take the medication. They have a moral objection to a sales transaction that is fully within the law?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I once had a orthodox Jewish passenger ask me if there were any Jewish pilots. Of course I told him. He then asked me if a pilot could refuse to fly on the sabbath and Jewish holidays. Not if they want to keep their job I responded.
    Those pharmacists knew the score when they took the job. This is just another bit of sensationalism. I bypassed a Walgreens just an hour ago and went to CVS. Vote with your $$.
    I’ll say this again, a true fiscal conservative would embrace contraception and abortion. Both are MUCH less expensive than the governmental aide that flows as a result of an unwanted, poorly raised human. From the uninsured birth to the likely eventual incarceration.
    I hate that the religious zealots have highjacked true conservatism and the GOP for their own insidious purposes.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

My beliefs about a customers beliefs or life style or totally irrelevant to my job. I treat a passenger wearing a MAGA hat, a BLM hat, or no hat at all the same. If I didnít, Iíd be doing a rug dance in front of the chief pilot in short order.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

We seem focused on an employee that won't handle the sale of a product the stores sells.

What about the employer? If they had a policy of not selling certain things, then they wouldn't be on the shelves. If I were their employer, I'd fire them. Jim Ledger is right about that.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I can't really believe I'm doing this, since I have no fondness at all for this sort of religious hogwash, but I'm going to defend Walgreen's a little. If the stated policy were followed: i.e. if the person politely said, 'Hang on just a second, please; I'm going to get someone else to help you with this", and a minute later, somebody else appeared and took care of the transaction with no fuss, that would be fine with me. Stupid, sure, but no harm to anyone.

If there isn't anyone else to immediately take over, if the religious employee acts like an *sshole and shoves their nonsense in the customer's face, or the store simply refuses to sell the item because of religious objections, that's another matter. But the policy as stated, if enforced, seems reasonable enough.

Richard Feynman

among other problems, this policy gives the power of discrimination to the individual pharmacists. you donít suppose one might give services to people of a certain race and decline same for others. bet on it.

At the same time, they are also required to refer the prescription to another pharmacist or manager on duty to meet the patient's needs in a timely manner.
    The policy as written (which wasn't followed in a lot of the more dramatic cases) doesn't allow the store to discriminate, just to turn the job over to a different employee.

Richard Feynman

what a crock.

and if the next employee chooses not to as well?

the proper place for a pharmacist to exercise choice is in choosing employment.

No, it really doesn’t. Don’t take a job that you can do because of your beliefs.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    what a crock.

and if the next employee chooses not to as well?

the proper place for a pharmacist to exercise choice is in choosing employment.
    Precisely.
    Tom

the policy introduces discrimination because "karen" is not going to be denied her morning after pill. most of your moral objectors won't even have the stones to say no to begin with. this is regardless of the race of the pharmicist, or their conscious feelings about race. it's about deference, who gets it, and who doesn't. karen is not going to be afraid of confrontation or humiliation.

laquisha? maria? fatima? binh? how chilling will it be for them, knowing that the pharmacist can turn them away "on moral grounds".

**** walgreens and the horse they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    . . . knowing that the pharmacist can turn them away "on moral grounds"..
    Again, that's not the Walgreen's policy as written. All it allows is that an employee have someone else else take care of the customer.

Richard Feynman

Again, that's not the Walgreen's policy as written. All it allows is that an employee have someone else else take care of the customer.
    And if the other employees on duty have the same aversion? Birth control pills aren’t always used for birth control, there are many other reasons women, and girls, may take them. The reason is none of that pharmacists business.
    Tom

I keep wondering if a food store would hire a person for the checkout who would not sell meat because they are a vegan. Not everyone is suited for every job and making exceptions may not be the right corporate policy.

Quote Originally Posted by tom wilkinson View Post
    and if the other employees on duty have the same aversion? Birth control pills aren’t always used for birth control, there are many other reasons women, and girls, may take them. the reason is none of that pharmacists business.
    ^^^^
    that!
    -William A. Ward

But the policy as stated, if enforced, seems reasonable enough.
    Not to me it doesn't.

You are free to practice your religious beliefs and avoid any kind of behavior you consider immoral. Just as you are free to choose employment that will not require you to do things contrary to your beliefs--and just as it is your employer's right to fire you if you refuse to do your job, once you have accepted it.

You are not free to impose your morality on others. And that is what this policy amounts to.

There is no "reasonable" interpretation or defense for promoting right-wing fundamentalist theocracy in a nation that aspires to secular democracy.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com