Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Tip o' the Hat to Michael Mason (mmd)

Default Tip o' the Hat to Michael Mason (mmd)

The day after I posted my "Should a WB hat float?" poll bemoaning the loss of my WB hat, I got an email from Michael asking for my address.

In the mail today:

MMDHat.jpg

Thank you Michael! Yes, I know he's banned (though no idea why such a wonderful guy was banned) - but he still checks the forum. Love to see him back here so we could all enjoy his marine art, photos of Nova Scotia, and his knowledge.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: Tip o' the Hat to Michael Mason (mmd)

mmd got banned? that's absurd.

Nice!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Nice!
    Say hi.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hey Michael --

Good onya!!

Thanks!
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

Finastkind.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    mmd got banned? that's absurd.
    Right?!

What are you doing about it?

I know he had issues with me but I miss his stellar contributions to this rag tag bunch. I plead to the all knowing magnificent scot for clemency.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

was it a temp banishment?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    was it a temp banishment?
    I think I heard it was a lifetime banishment. Rum_Pirate got the same sentence. The powers that be have taken a zero tolerance approach more often and bans are becoming life sentences without the possibility of parole.

Lets all keep mindful of that, because as we all know it can be a very fine line, and I like too many of you here.

Michael, sweet touch there. Well done.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I think I heard it was a lifetime banishment. Rum_Pirate got the same sentence. The powers that be have taken a zero tolerance approach more often and bans are becoming life sentences without the possibility of parole.

Lets all keep mindful of that, because as we all know it can be a very fine line, and I like too many of you here.

that's terribly sad. i liked mmd.

Miss Michael, and his boat design experience. It was a great resource to have him on the forum. Also miss seeing what was happening up in Nova Scotia. Hope he is doing well.

Hi Michael. I have always enjoyed your posts of things Nova Scotia and boats. I did not see what happened. I can't see how a lifetime ban here is justified by any stretch of the imagination - if that is what happened.
    Will

Michael has been following this thread & asked me to post some info. He gave me the option of his words or mine - but I'll just post his:

I see that my banning and the reason for it is news and/or unknown to Forumites. If you have a mind to, I wouldn’t mind you telling them on your ‘Tip o’ the hat’ thread that I was banned because I asked Scot to delete all my threads. Someone was cherry-picking comments that I had posted – sometimes years ago – and quoting them out-of-context on social media to slander my business. I asked Scot to delete my threads and he told me to do it – all 26,000 posts. I asked a second time (mind you, this was all done with the utmost pf politeness and in a business-like manner) and he refused again. So I went over his head and sent an email to WB management with the same request. For that, Scot gave me a lifetime ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The day after I posted my "Should a WB hat float?" poll bemoaning the loss of my WB hat, I got an email from Michael asking for my address.

In the mail today:

MMDHat.jpg

Thank you Michael! Yes, I know he's banned (though no idea why such a wonderful guy was banned) - but he still checks the forum. Love to see him back here so we could all enjoy his marine art, photos of Nova Scotia, and his knowledge.
    Very nice! And have you tested the flotation feature yet?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Michael has been following this thread & asked me to post some info. He gave me the option of his words or mine - but I'll just post his:
    Interesting. Do we know who the perpetrator of those 'out of context' blurbs was? Sounds despicable.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Interesting. Do we know who the perpetrator of those 'out of context' blurbs was? Sounds despicable.
    Sounds sorta like harassment. THAT seems like the kind of behavior someone don't want to see.

Also, targeting a professional's business who is willing to share here is despicable.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I miss mmd, for reasons mentioned and more.
    Im not sure I miss those monstrosity super yachts. Definitely not worth a banning, maybe.... perhaps in some of the extreme instances.

his explanation is shocking. Leaves a bad taste if it's accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

that's terrible mmd. i don't see how that rises to the level of a permaban

So a respected naval architect - a subject matter expert on the forum - experiences harassment in his professional life from a quote-miner, politely asks the forum administrator for help, escalates the polite request when help is not forthcoming, and is permanently banned for doing so?

That don't sound right.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Very nice! And have you tested the flotation feature yet?
    Tomorrow

AFAIK, it was non-WBF people grabbing his posts & using them against him. So - once again AFAIK - it was no one here. However, Michael's need to have them deleted was real IMO & manually deleting 26K posts would be an onerous task - and one done (I'd believe) fairly simply by the moderator. I'm checking now with a moderator of another vBulletin forum.

mmd Posted stuff I most liked to read, usually sound marine information. He could make a bit of change selling those hats to WBF inmates.

AFAIK, it was non-WBF people grabbing his posts & using them against him. So - once again AFAIK - it was no one here. However, Michael's need to have them deleted was real IMO & manually deleting 26K posts would be an onerous task - and one done (I'd believe) fairly simply by the moderator. I'm checking now with a moderator of another vBulletin forum.
    ETA: Seems it's not obvious, but can be done through the admin control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca
    So a respected naval architect - a subject matter expert on the forum - experiences harassment in his professional life from a quote-miner, politely asks the forum administrator for help, escalates the polite request when help is not forthcoming, and is permanently banned for doing so?

That don't sound right.
    It sure doesn't. Say it ain't so, Scot
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Maybe I'm doing something wrong when using the search function, but when I search for posts by mmd, nothing comes up. Was banning an easy way for the administrator to solve the problem mmd had?
    /Erik

Quote Originally Posted by ERGR
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong when using the search function, but when I search for posts by mmd, nothing comes up. Was banning an easy way for the administrator to solve the problem mmd had?
    Maybe. But then why would Scot not quickly reinstate mmd?
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Something similar happened to Norm.

Sorry to hear about it, mmd. I am among those who miss your posts.

I miss Michael and his posts
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I miss Michael and his posts
    I do too.

I think he should be released to a WoodenBoat halfway house - nine p.m. posting curfew, no alcohol while posting, no posting about steel megayachts of the obscenely wealthy, that sort of thing. Granted, that last one might really test him.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

This place has some nasty apples, most of the really bad ones don't even post here they sit and stalk seethe and hate with little or no consequence because they don't even post and they do everything anonymously. Rarely will they ever get a lifetime ban.

As a proliferate poster I have many of these lurkers that have no problem contacting my place or work, my boat club, my ex wife, friends, other forum members, nasty emails and phone calls to me. Even the occasional in person confrontation is possible.

The sad fact is mmd tried to be proactive and block these kinds of trolls and for that he gets a lifetime ban. Meanwhile these anonymous trolls continue to harass those that provide valuable content to this forum, while they contribute nothing but cowardice.

The one fault, Michael made was going above scot, that probably wasn't a smart move since scot holds all the keys. Although I think it's important to note Michael's contribution to this forum was without a doubt far more valuable and far more important than some anonymous troll looking to ruin an upstanding Naval Architect and a stellar addition to this forum.

I for one think scot should look at the overall contribution to the quality of this place and content provided by mmd over the years and forgive an otherwise unblemished record. Especially since some troll tried to anonymously ruin his reputation with out any consequences.

OK rant over - Lets just say I think mmd is far more valuable to this forum than this idiot poster from SoCal.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 07-14-2022 at 04:46 PM.

Joe - to be clear - the jerk(s) who used his posts to hurt his reputation were not WBF members - but folks from outside our community who used his posts here (taken out of context) to damage his reputation.

Joe - to be clear - the jerk(s) who used his posts to hurt his reputation were not WBF members - but folks from outside our community who used his posts here (taken out of context) to damage his reputation.
    Ahhh even worse, thats some seriously cowardice act, to search and find this little corner of the internet and USE his silly WBF post and exploit his openness and willingness to post relevant and interesting things for us mariners. Thats some seriously shady S#it there