Thread: Where does the drainplug go on a skiff? Devlin detail.

Default Where does the drainplug go on a skiff? Devlin detail.

I am finishing up an Oulichan 13, which is the smaller version of the Devlin Candlefish 16, that more people seem to have built. I am puzzled as to where the drain goes at the transom. It seems to be pictured as on the CL which would put it inside a cutout in the transom knee. Does that mean the T-handle plug fits from the outside-in? I have never owned an outboard skiff, always sailboats and paddle craft, none of which had through hulls.

Also, normally in wood boats, epoxy sealed, a fiberglass tube holds up better than a brass tube. Glass tubes can become part of the boat. A brass tube is an alien than can be sealed, with 5200, but you have a break in the continuity of the glasswork. But I have never specifically made this kind of installation, so don't know what to expect. I do have glass tubes for push poles, etc... in a variety of sizes.

One oddity about the O13, is that it has heavier parts in many places than the C16, and there does not appear to be any reason for it. Curious.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Where does the drainplug go on a skiff? Devlin detail.

A transom knee does not need to go to the inside corner. One can open it up to accomodate the plug
    Her is a pic of knees just to illustrate what I mean

Yes, a piece of brass tube ,devil spermed in , is daft. But a fg tube is also over doing it. Just drill a 1 1/2 hole, fill it with solid epoxy, then redrill a 1 inch hole.done.
    Designers tend to design boats heavier than they need to be.Lawyers n stuff.
    Hey your 420th post! That reminds me, it's 420 time !!!!

I'm a fan of fiberglass tubes for drain ports. I think it's faster and easier that filling with epoxy and drilling. I use the fill and drill for centerboard pivots, but those holes are smaller.

Tubes are taped on the ends to keep the epoxy out.

one cannot be absolutley positively sure that those tubes are 100% sealed .

I would glass over them and trim them. Can't see that failing. All methods should work. I don't see how the pored option would be better, as it would have to be a glued in plug at this point. I guess in the future, I should install the drain in the transom before I build it into a boat. I am not sure why I did not do that...

Changing the subject slightly, does the plug insert from the outside in, or the inside out. Looks like mine will have to go on the outside, which seems like a good design for the plug makers...

I guess this has morphed to a thread that really belongs in the building section,,,

poured ? it's not poured. It's knifed.

For goodness sakes, ask Sam Devlin!

Plug from inside on small boats.

Put a limber hole in the knee and plug hole to the side just far enough to be able to pull the plug from inside. That makes pulling the plug underway to drain the boat way easier than from the outside.

As far as the drain tube I like the glass idea better but in reality the store bought tubes will probably last the life of the boat. I replaced one in a 1965 boat in the early 2000s when rebuilding the transom and the original tube was still intact...on a trailer boat used frequently in saltwater. Still have the boat and the tube is still intact.