Joe Biden to visit Saudi Arabia: Come On Man!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted Hoppe
    Irritant, Level 2
    • Nov 2006

Joe Biden to visit Saudi Arabia: Come On Man!

Who else is disappointed that Biden is going? We all suspect it is beg to increase oil production. He is claiming he is doing this as a reset. How does one do a reset with a murderous ruthless thug who actively has undermined human rights across the world, openly terrorizes his neighbors, interferes with US elections and is linked to others who plotted, recruited and financed the 911 attacks?

On the 2020 campaign trail, Biden had called the oil-rich kingdom a “pariah” in response to US intelligence groups’ conclusion that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz ordered the killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. Biden had resisted directly meeting MBS. But July 13-16, he’ll travel to the Middle East. He’ll visit the Saudi city of Jeddah and meet about 10 Arab heads of state and travel to Israel and the occupied Palestinian territory.

When the decision to travel to Saudi Arabia was first reported earlier in June, the trip was framed as about finding any way possible to lower oil prices while the US leads a charge against Russia, a major oil producer. But energy experts say that even with Saudi Arabia’s spare capacity and influence among other oil-producing countries in the region, there is no tap that can be quickly turned on.

Considering Biden's recent polling, this trip to Saudi Arabia could very well make him lose more support with his democratic base and giving ammunition to his opponents, taking nothing home except promises of more oil later and giving murderous MBS general pass of the murders, granting him prestige and credibility of top world leader.

As Biden used to say in disbelief to the outrageous, Come On Man!
    Without friends none of this is possible.
  • Figment
    Gluten Enthusiast
    • Dec 2001

Re: Joe Biden to visit Saudi Arabia: Come On Man!

beyond disappointed... just baffled. I see no upside and plenty of downside.

once upon a time I may have given some benefit of doubt and said that there must be things which we the general public do NOT know which make this thing make sense, but that time has passed. This is just dumb.
    People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• LeeG
      • May 2002

There are many reasons for good diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia but pleading for lower prices so we can continue profligate consumption is not one of them.
      1. Saudi Arabia does not have the spare production capacity to lower prices.
      2. We should have a better strategy for dealing with the problems of oil consumption in 2022 than acting like a baby cookie monster. “MORE! ME WANT MORE!”

My guess is that the MIC wants to make nice and Biden is rolling over for it like Obama did in Afghanistan.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
        • Apr 1999

I fear that LeeG is right. Never underestimate the power of the MIC.

Comment

• RFNK
          Port Stephens, Australia
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeeG
          There are many reasons for good diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia but pleading for lower prices so we can continue profligate consumption is not one of them.
          1. Saudi Arabia does not have the spare production capacity to lower prices.
          2. We should have a better strategy for dealing with the problems of oil consumption in 2022 than acting like a baby cookie monster. “MORE! ME WANT MORE!”

My guess is that the MIC wants to make nice and Biden is rolling over for it like Obama did in Afghanistan.
          Saudi Arabia is the USA's best military equipment customer. Guess who's second best?
          Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• LeeG
            • May 2002

Originally posted by RFNK
            Saudi Arabia is the USA's best military equipment customer. Guess who's second best?
            I’d need the info at my fingertips to know. I think Israel might exceed Saudi Arabia if you include military aid. Not sure if this is the best source but it’s what I googled up.

oh damn this is a can of worms to figure out.

Last edited by LeeG; 07-12-2022, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• wizbang 13
              • Oct 2009

Does Israel buy it from the USA?
              or do we jus give it to em?
              I think we give em money, but it must be spent on warcrap.I mean warcraft.

Comment

• LeeG
                • May 2002

Originally posted by wizbang 13
                Does Israel buy it from the USA?
                or do we jus give it to em?
                I think we give em money, but it must be spent on warcrap.I mean warcraft.
                They buy a few billion and we give a few billion in military stuff. In the links above it looks like about $50 billion in gov’t to gov’t sales and $125 billion in bidness to gov’t/? sales. So Ukraine was a big boost for bidness w around $50 billion about half of which is war fighting stuff.

Comment

• Vadim 68
                  • May 2022

Maybe he is going to try end the war in Yemen? Though by his actions, does not appear to be the case.

Biden Claims He Wants to End the Yemen War. His Actions Suggest Otherwise. (truthout.org)

Kowtowing to the Saudis for cheaper oil, just so his domestic subjects get cheaper fuel, in order to win a re-election, while at the same time, barking at Germany for wanting to come to some kind of energy deal with Russia in order to prevent a collapse of Germanies industrial output/import that has global implications.

Either dealing with a foreign state that is responsible for mass killings of civilians, is right or wrong.

It is also insulting and the height of hypocrisy to complain about starvation and hunger via grain being held up from Ukraine, while the US had a scorch earth policy on Syrian wheat and barley.

Comment

• LeeG
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by Vadim 68
                    Maybe he is going to try end the war in Yemen? Though by his actions, does not appear to be the case.

Biden Claims He Wants to End the Yemen War. His Actions Suggest Otherwise. (truthout.org)

Kowtowing to the Saudis for cheaper oil, just so his domestic subjects get cheaper fuel, in order to win a re-election, while at the same time, barking at Germany for wanting to come to some kind of energy deal with Russia in order to prevent a collapse of Germanies industrial output/import that has global implications.

Either dealing with a foreign state that is responsible for mass killings of civilians, is right or wrong.

It is also insulting and the height of hypocrisy to complain about starvation and hunger via grain being held up from Ukraine, while the US had a scorch earth policy on Syrian wheat and barley.
                    It’s complicated being that shiny city on a hill.

Comment

• George.
                      • Aug 2004

Yemen? They are brown and wear towels on their heads.

Saudi women? ditto.

I feel sorry for Biden. He has to choose between cozying up to Venezuela, the Saudis, or Iran. Given how the Republicans would react to each, he is stuck with Saudi.

Comment

• LeeG
                        • May 2002

Originally posted by George.
                        Yemen? They are brown and wear towels on their heads.

Saudi women? ditto.

I feel sorry for Biden. He has to choose between cozying up to Venezuela, the Saudis, or Iran. Given how the Republicans would react to each, he is stuck with Saudi.
                        I wonder what the next idiotic talking point will be after Energy Independence has shown to be nonsense.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                          Trying to be reasonable
                          • Oct 1999

As long as we need oil, we have to make nice with those who have it, or some of them, anyway. Unpleasant, but until we have an alternative, what are you going to do? Realpolitik is nasty sometimes. It complicates things when a major oil producer tries to invade and conquer one of its neighbors.

And note how Vadim 68 in engaged in another round of whataboutwhatabout in an attempt to defend Mr Putin's imperial ambitions.
                          "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                          for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• LeeG
                            • May 2002

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                            As long as we need oil, we have to make nice with those who have it, or some of them, anyway. Unpleasant, but until we have an alternative, what are you going to do? Realpolitik is nasty sometimes. It complicates things when a major oil producer tries to invade and conquer one of its neighbors.

And note how Vadim 68 in engaged in another round of whataboutwhatabout in an attempt to defend Mr Putin's imperial ambitions.
                            “an alternative”

sure

Comment

• Vadim 68
                              • May 2022

Originally posted by Keith Wilson

You must be confusing me with someone else, as i note you have no quotes to attribute to me. I have previously stated that what is happening in Ukraine is abhorrent.

It would be appropriate to remove your comment or amend your statement.

Comment

Working...