Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttigieg

Default Buttigieg

I just watched a YouTube video of a FOX common tater trying to trap Pete Buttigieg into some sort of negative soundbite.

Why do they keep trying?

Made me pray for a Trump Buttigieg “debate”.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Buttigieg

I would be cool with President Pete.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

He is a communicator with integrity who expects people to use their heads.

Moving to Michigan, roots for Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Moving to Michigan...
    So I guess we will have to look other than Whitmer/Buttegeig in 2028.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Moving to Michigan, roots for Notre Dame.
    Going be Jeff C’s neighbor!

Pete has a bright electoral future via Michigan, unlike Indiana.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I believe the two most popular democrats are Michelle Obama and Pete.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Saw it it was awesome, he really is too bright for the Fox News Crowd

https://youtu.be/IjKqmbiNfIg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    That was my first choice in 2020. If he runs again he will still be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I just watched a YouTube video of a FOX common tater trying to trap Pete Buttigieg into some sort of negative soundbite.

Why do they keep trying?

Made me pray for a Trump Buttigieg “debate”.
    Im praying for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Im praying for that as well.
    Im praying you’ll answer these two simple questions

1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?

2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

Master class in political Jedi Mind tricks. “These are not the Faux News talking points that you are looking for.”
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Saw it it was awesome, he really is too bright for the Fox News Crowd

https://youtu.be/IjKqmbiNfIg
    Pete is perfect for representing the administration to Faux News.

I do like Mr Cohen.
    Thanks for posting that.

Gov. Whitmer and Mayor Pete would be my dream team for 2024! Both being residents of my state would only be icing on the cake :-)
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    Going be Jeff C’s neighbor!

He’s welcomed in Frankfort anytime he wants to stop by!

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Quote Originally Posted by michigangeorge View Post
    Gov. Whitmer and Mayor Pete would be my dream team for 2024! Both being residents of my state would only be icing on the cake :-)

Art II Section 1, language unchanged by Amendment XII, says that can't happen:

The electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; . . .
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

This Embarrassing Exchange Tells You Everything You Need to Know About Pete Buttigieg
    By Shane Ryan | April 23, 2019 | 11:05am
    Screencap via YouTube
    POLITICS FEATURES PETE BUTTIGIEG
    Tweet
    Pin
    Text
    This Embarrassing Exchange Tells You Everything You Need to Know About Pete Buttigieg
    I covered this in my five-hour live diary from Monday night’s CNN town halls (yes, I’m a glutton for punishment), but it deserves its own post because it reveals so, so much about the former South Bend mayor whose campaign has been surprisingly successful in its early days. Watch this exchange with Anderson Cooper from the beginning of Buttigieg’s hour in the spotlight:

Here's Pete Buttigieg telling you exactly why you shouldn't A, trust him, or B, vote for him. "Values," per him, should come before policy, and that is backwards as hell. pic.twitter.com/eZfZwzuFwG

— Shane Ryan (@ShaneRyanHere) April 23, 2019
    The whole thing starts with Anderson Cooper confronting Buttigieg with the fact that his website says absolutely nothing about policy, and asks him—in nicer words—what he actually believes in. After sputtering about his Supreme Court plan (a totally impracticable and also blandly unimaginative idea about a 15-person Court in which five of the justices are somehow chosen by consensus among the other ten), making vague promises about his website that have already been expertly skewered, and claiming to have led the Medicare for All discussion—an insane boast from a man who won’t even say whether he supports it—Buttigieg drops this bomb:

“I also think it’s important that we not drown people in minutiae before we’ve vindicated the values that animate our policies.”
    Now, okay, it’s possible to be infuriated at this answer just for the weak O’Rourkeian vacuity of the language. “Vindicated the values that animate our policies” is a series of words that deserves a featured spot in the museum of empty political bull****. But actually, that’s letting Buttigieg off the hook—despite the surface appearance of inanity, this doesn’t actually mean nothing. It means this:
    We should put “values” before policy.

While you digest that, here’s the rest of the quote:
    Because as Democrats, this is a habit that we have. We go right to the policy proposals, and we expect people to figure out what our values must be from them. I expect that it will be very easy and clear to tell where I stand on every specific policy challenge of our time but I’m going to take the time to lay that out while also talking about values and everyday impacts rather than competing strictly on the theoretical elegance of the proposals themselves.

Let’s take it piece by piece:
    Because as Democrats, this is a habit that we have. We go right to the policy proposals, and we expect people to figure out what our values must be from them.

Sounds good to me! If I’m wondering if a politician values my health, I will look to see if he supports universal healthcare. If I’m wondering if a politician values my financial future, I might look to see if he supports student debt reduction. For education, free public college. You get the point—policies signal values to the voters, not the other way around. Without policy, a politician is asking me to just trust him based on…what? His personality? His charisma? The fact that he speaks 26 languages? Nothing?
    I expect that it will be very easy and clear to tell where I stand on every specific policy challenge of our time…

Nah, it’s not clear. I have no idea where you stand on Medicare for All, because you haven’t explicitly said. I mean, I kinda suspect you don’t support it as a broad, immediate policy, and would choose some incremental nonsense instead, but I don’t know. Ditto for almost every other policy, other than that bad Supreme Court plan.
    ...but I’m going to take the time to lay that out while also talking about values and everyday impacts rather than competing strictly on the theoretical elegance of the proposals themselves.

Okay, you do that. In the meantime, I’ll keep on suspecting that you’re a phony, and gravitate to the politicians who aren’t being cagey about what they actually believe.

Cooper, who did a really nice job in this exchange, then interrupts Buttigieg, and basically asks him how someone can possible compare his substance-free “values” pablum with a candidate like Liz Warren, who earlier in the night stood on the same stage outlining concrete plans for student debt reduction, complete with specific numbers. “It’s like comparing…” Anderson said, trailing off, unable to find the right symbols of nothingness.
    Yes, Anderson! Exactly! On one side, I know exactly what Warren is going to attempt on student debt if she gets elected. On the other, I’ve got a smirking nothingburger who wants me to trust the content of his character, or something, and who acts like spewing bland platitudes is a novel political approach, rather than the scourge of the Democratic party for three decades and counting.
    Buttigieg’s snarky response to Cooper might be the most unforgivable thing he said all night:
    “We’re now in the second week of my campaign being official.”

To hellllll with that. You’re not someone who just decided to run for the highest office in the land without having any political opinions—or at least you’re not supposed to be. You should strive to become president because you have very specific, very policy-based beliefs about which direction the country should move. You’re not here to learn on the fly. Why on earth would anyone possibly want to vote for you if you need a campaign to help you decide what you actually believe?

This was more than just a bad exchange—it was disqualifying. Buttigieg told us he values the superficial over the concrete, distrusts policy, and can’t possibly have the courage of his convictions because, oops, he doesn’t even have convictions. Maybe he’ll learn them along the way, but he can do it without my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by michigangeorge View Post
    Mayor Pete will never gather enough black votes unless his vp is a black woman, note Kamala is never mentioned.

Pete Buttigieg faces hometown criticism on race relations
    Former South Bend mayor’s record will pose challenge as he campaigns in diverse states

Pete Buttigieg addressing his supporters on Tuesday night in Nashua, New Hampshire © AP
    Share on twitter (opens new window)
    Share on facebook (opens new window)
    Share on linkedin (opens new window)
    Save
    Patti Waldmeir in South Bend, Indiana FEBRUARY 12 2020
    Receive free Pete Buttigieg updates
    We’ll send you a myFT Daily Digest email rounding up the latest Pete Buttigieg news every morning.

When he took the stage to celebrate his strong second place finish in New Hampshire’s Democratic presidential primary, Pete Buttigieg spoke proudly of his record as the mayor of his hometown of South Bend, Indiana.

“So many of you decided that a middle-class mayor and a veteran from the industrial Midwest was the right choice to take on this president, not in spite of that experience, but because of it,” the 38-year-old candidate told a cheering audience of supporters in Nashua, New Hampshire, on Tuesday night.

At the Linden Grill, a downtown South Bend eatery that features an excerpt from Martin Luther King Jr’s “I Have A Dream” speech on its front window, the reception from the largely African-American clientele was less rapturous. As the New Hampshire results came in, a flatscreen television played CNN election coverage silently in an almost empty part of the bar, while patrons focused their attention on a college basketball game and a Cooking Channel segment on coleslaw.

Mr Buttigieg has struggled to win the hearts and minds of the quarter of South Bend’s population that is African-American, highlighting the challenges that he will face in the next stage of the campaign for the Democratic US presidential nomination. Having fared well in two overwhelmingly white states — narrowly winning the Iowa caucuses and nearly beating Bernie Sanders in New Hampshire — Mr Buttigieg will try to maintain his momentum in more diverse Nevada and South Carolina.

“Pete went to all private, mostly white Catholic schools; growing up in that elitist education system makes it hard to understand what it’s like to be a poor African-American in South Bend,” said Stan Wruble, chairman of the local Democratic party. “He has done a lot of good things but some of his policy decisions are based on that lack of understanding.”

Pete Buttigieg in eighth grade in South Bend, Indiana © Ken Bradford/South Bend Tribune/AP
    A Quinnipiac University poll published on the eve of the New Hampshire primary gave Mr Buttigieg only 4 per cent support nationally among African-Americans, up from 0 per cent in late January. Former US vice-president Joe Biden, by contrast, was favoured by 27 per cent, followed by Mike Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor, at 22 per cent. Eight per cent of black voters chose Donald Trump in 2016, according to Cornell University’s Roper Center for Public Opinion Research.

Mr Buttigieg, who completed his second term as mayor in 2019, faced particularly fierce criticism in the South Bend’s African-American community last year after a white sergeant in the city’s police force fatally shot a 54-year-old black resident.

“He has a bad record among African-Americans,” said Jorden Giger, a local spokesman for Black Lives Matter, who has accused the former mayor of failing to tackle “systemic racism” in the local police force. “We just didn’t see a real commitment to the upliftment of black Americans or black folks here in South Bend . . . until he was looking to run for president.”

Theo Randall, a professor at Indiana University South Bend, noted that the local police force has fewer black officers now than when Mr Buttigieg took office.

“The former police chief, [an] African-American, was removed as soon as he got in, and while there are some African-Americans around him, they aren’t local,” said Mr Randall. “If he did that to this town, what will he do to the White House?”

Black Lives Matter protesters demonstrate against a visit by Pete Buttigieg in Los Angeles in January © Richard Vogel/AP
    Mr Randall — who calls the former mayor’s supporters “wine cave people”, a reference to a Buttigieg fundraiser held in such a locale — also faulted the former mayor’s “1,000 houses in 1,000 days” plan to demolish derelict properties after he took office in 2012.

“[Mr Buttigieg] tore down houses without building them back up again,” said Mr Randall. “He’s the mayor of downtown, not the whole town.”

Judith Fox, a professor at nearby Notre Dame Law School, who runs a legal aid clinic that helps poor South Bend residents, said this criticism was unfair because there were legal hurdles to the city gaining ownership of the properties and rebuilding them.

She calls the mayor “Peter” and said: “I’ve known him all his life, he doesn’t have a racist bone in his body.”

Recommended
    Bruce Katz
    Mayor Pete’s story makes him an ideal presidential candidate
    Gladys Muhammad, a local black activist who supports Mr Buttigieg, said he “listened to the wrong people” when he first came to office, but afterwards paid attention to black leaders and took their advice. During his time in office, the black poverty rate in South Bend fell from 53 per cent to 33 per cent — which was still three times higher than the local white poverty rate, according a recent report from the non-partisan Economic Innovation Group.

Ms Muhammad said she believed that the local black resistance to Mr Buttigieg had been exaggerated. “People that don’t like him are stuck on something personal and this is larger than that,” she said, flanked by her brother David Blake, who added that some African-Americans oppose Mr Buttigieg because he is gay.

“If they keep fighting each other, Trump is going to win,” Ms Muhammad warned.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Bla bla bla BS
    1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?

2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

If Mayor Pete is so wonderful, and democrats so enlightened how did the nation end up with Joe?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

The whites of boobys eyeballs must be brown.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    If Mayor Pete is so wonderful, and democrats so enlightened how did the nation end up with Joe?
    Guaranteed win.

Thanks for playing don't forget to tip your servers, I'll be here all night

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    If pigs had wings would they then sing La la la?

Pete has fence mending to do with the Black community. But I like him.

Newsome?
    Fetterman? ( can you imagine?)
    Michelle Obama would wipe the floor with any Republican, but she won't do it.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Newsom (without an 'e') has impressed me since his election as Lieutenant Governor under Gerry Brown. I'd like to see him on the ticket but he hasn't, that I know of, mentioned any intention. He was actually sort of scornful during a recent press event when someone implied, or asked him outright, (I tuned in late) if his direct offer, in a paid ad, to Floridians to come to California for their abortions, and other freedoms being taken by DeSantis, was an attempt at gaining national name recognition as a prelude to a presidential candidacy.

Back during the unsuccessful recall of him in twenty-twenty-one, one of his ads countering the attack on him asked people to not 'DeSantis' his California.

I'd like to see the two governors go head to head in a presidential race. Good versus evil, and Gavin would swab the deck with Ron, and I think a Newsom-Buttigieg ticket would be sixteen years of Democratic success in the White House.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Love him.

To paraphrase H.L. Mencken... you know what you want and deserve to get it good and hard.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Mayor Pete at it again. Scott Perry this timne.

https://www.wonkette.com/-2657694940

Link contains adult themes, humor and truth, open at your own risk.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Mayor Pete at it again. Scott Perry this timne.

https://www.wonkette.com/-2657694940

Link contains adult themes, humor and truth, open at your own risk.
    ok that’s funny. Poor Scot Perry.

As would I. The debate I want to see is Herschel Walker.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Newsom (without an 'e') has impressed me since his election as Lieutenant Governor under Gerry Brown. I'd like to see him on the ticket but he hasn't, that I know of, mentioned any intention. He was actually sort of scornful during a recent press event when someone implied, or asked him outright, (I tuned in late) if his direct offer, in a paid ad, to Floridians to come to California for their abortions, and other freedoms being taken by DeSantis, was an attempt at gaining national name recognition as a prelude to a presidential candidacy.

Back during the unsuccessful recall of him in twenty-twenty-one, one of his ads countering the attack on him asked people to not 'DeSantis' his California.

I'd like to see the two governors go head to head in a presidential race. Good versus evil, and Gavin would swab the deck with Ron, and I think a Newsom-Buttigieg ticket would be sixteen years of Democratic success in the White House.
    Press would ask that. And scornful of the press? Some of it should be treated with downright hostility and derision. And what sensible man with any morals and in his right mind would want to be President?

'
    Im praying you’ll answer these two simple questions

Bobby.....

I rarely agree with Joe and am a fellow conservative. Even I think you should just answer this question and move on. What's the harm - isn't the point of the forum to be a place to exchange ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum
    Bobby.....

I rarely agree with Joe and am a fellow conservative. Even I think you should just answer this question and move on. What's the harm - isn't the point of the forum to be a place to exchange ideas?
    You mean rather than a place to troll and own the libs?