View Poll Results: What age category do you claim to fit in?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20 - 30

1 0.66%
  • 30 - 40

2 1.32%
  • 40 - 50

12 7.89%
  • 50 - 60

30 19.74%
  • 60 - 70

51 33.55%
  • and up

56 36.84%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of members poll

Yes! Just had a Dr visit today about that very issue! Do not allow yourself to grow old!, guys. Just keep getting wiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Age of members poll

My grandpa at 85 or so, on pointing out a pretty girl in a very short skirt, "I'm only 18 on the inside you know". At 79 I understand him well.

My boat was built between 1954 and launch date in 56, I was born i 55, so am 67. First boat was one Dad built, a 13 ft ply dingy with a little outboard. We used it for fishing in Portland Bay, Australia.
    First decent outing was from Wineglass Bay when hiking in 75. A Cray Boat was anchored and invited me and a friend out when he did the rounds to check his cray pots. That was it! I needed a capable boat from that moment on.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Figure I'd best vote now before I run off the end of the table.

67, or in wizbang notation 0x43.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I'll grow up one day.

Well I refuse to, like my Grandfather who grew up far too quickly on the battlefields of WW1 France, and had to learn all over again. I remember helping him put up a short wave radio arial with a long bow, and installing a Pelton wheel in the creek to finally remove his dependence on batteries…….. in winter anyhow.
    He was great fun.

hoos the actual oldest here?
    youngest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    On good days I am three years old.

Have you ever considered enrolling in Further Education Classes it may help.

Good Luck.

Turned 70 last Winter. Sold my wooden boat in April. When I listed it last August I expected it to take several years to sell if it sold at all. It was quite a shock when it sold as quickly as it did. It is in Beaufort, SC now. I am doing a lot more sailing this year than I have for nearly 15 years. I still have the fiberglass Allied Princess 36. Despite having a fiberglass hull, the Allied has an all wood interior. I built a new cherry and white maple cabin sole this spring. So I am still doing wood work inside the glass hull.

I decided to put the wooden boat up for sale because maintaining it hurt more each year.

I've been pondering the difference, lately, between just getting older and having others start to view you as an Elder. Not that I am one, mind you - but my 92 year old friend who recently died? Absolutely. I think it's about embracing the "work" of the stage of life one's in.

At every age, there's a way to fully dive into, experience, the role at the time. What you're here to learn and do as a preschooler, as an elementary school kid, adolescent, young adult, 30-50 year old, etc. Seems to me like the role changes take care of themselves till we're of an age to shift from adolescent to young adult, but then some of us never make the psychic shift. Maybe each subsequent shift takes more and more self reflection, and volition.

That said, there's a lot in common, I think, in being a mostly unaware but happy child, and being a fully aware and happy old fart.
    Last edited by TomF; 07-12-2022 at 07:09 AM.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

60 as of this past March.
    Started with boats at about age 6 or 7 in my parents Cape Cod Gemini. Built a Bolger Elegant Punt at 14, a sharpie skiff at 20 and a Thom Hill Charlotte canoe at 37. Currently have a Drascombe Dabber and a quiver of canoes.

71 next month but they do say that you're only as young as the woman you feel and my lovely lady is a very active, pretty fit 59. She likes my playing with my cars and boats but tells me that I'm not allowed another motorcycle as her bike license has expired but she is getting her motorsport license in order to accompany me.
    I guess that I'm saying that age, while the body slows a mite, is really only a state of mind.
    Stay young Bilge Mates!!
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

I turned 60 when Jim Ledger started his catboat thread.

"How old do you claim to be..?" Was because I know a lot you all are as sensitive and fluffy as a Hollywood starlet of yesteryear.

In actuality, it was my nod to the notion that we are as young or as old as we feel in whatever moment. In most of my life for as long as I can remember, I always wanted to be older. As a young kid it was in order to be let in to the more adult themed movies, and then later, to get let in to the drinking establishments. I kept seeing those ahead of me as wiser and more accomplished and I wanted that. I wanted that cred, and I wanted to know the world by tasting it. Unlike what our culture would have us believe, when I turned thirty it was not, in my mind, a loss of youth, neither when I made forty, but gaining wisdom and accomplishment. And now that I'm closer to seventy than sixty, I still feel, in my inner JImmy, like I could do the things I used to do when I was in better shape, not beaten down by living, but it's harder to connect with the eighteen year old buried under the layers and decades of care and effort.

My Wife recently suggested we revisit our formal plans for our old age and eventual demise, organizing the durable powers of attorney and stuff, making it clear what each of us prefers in the way of hanging on if we happen to find either of us in a coma following some surgery or ER thing.

Some time back, She made a point of telling me that, out of the blue, that should She go first, I get to stay here in the house, in spite of the fact that when She bought it, before we met, She had Her then twenty-ish daughter and only child co-sign on the mortgage and the ownership paperwork. That was Her helping the kid get a good start on a positive credit rating, as she got married and was buying her own house, and insuring that part of Her daughter's inheritance. When She volunteered, out of the blue and apropos of nothing we had been discussing, that that was the case, that Her daughter knew very well Her intention of me remaining here to live out my life and that the daughter would inherit, she assured me that Her daughter understood and is on board.

She has never smoked anything, but pot a few times in Her now distant yoot. She has always had alcohol socially, but never more than a single drink on any occasion. I've never seen Her drunk. I wish She could say the same about me. Oh, well. And even though She had a mild heart attack in Her mid-forties, the year we met, She is the poster child for healthy living. I'm positive that it'll be Her sending me off over the bar.

I haven't yet reached the age at which my parents passed, I've got another ten years or so to make that milestone. But I have outlived two of my three brothers, and I'm now the same age Tom was when he had his heart attack three years ago and rolled his car off the highway into an immovable object, alone in the middle of the night. The opposite of my Wife, Tom lived a hard life, tobacco, weed, and some daliance with harder drugs, mostly in his twenties. He was already in bad shape healthwise and a heart attack wasn't really a surprise, though his sudden passing stunned me.

Due to my living in total ignorance of my various comorbid mental conditions, with difficulty making and maintaining eye contact let alone lasting relationships, I have no old friends. I've never kept up with anyone from high school or even from my eight years in the air force. A few people have reached out, particularly since the advent of the internet and Facebook (which I don't do), but I have rebuffed them, because I know I just can't keep current, and I will never travel again.

I had a co-worker at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo Texas when I was stationed there as a painter in the CE squadron after being overseas doing Chinese linguist work, who was a wild kid from Vermont. I watched him buy his first car, and then alternately treasure and coddle it and abuse it in high speed chases. He was a hunter back home and proudly showed me the big ass revolver he bought. I heard him tell me of his off-base activities that included a running gun battle with some Texan on the highway after midnight, and when he showed up at my apartment one time, asking me if I wanted to share some of the beef he got when he and some other guys from base rustled a calf off some ranchers land, I told him then that he was too over the top for me, and I told him we were, from then on, only co-workers and not friends, and to leave me out of whatever trouble he got into. And then, thirty-some years later, out of the clear blue one day about ten years ago, he called me on the phone from New York. He had gotten his shirt together, went to officer candidate school after getting out of the air force, and became a commissioned officer in the army, and as he was calling me, he was a captain managing a recruiting station in his home town in New York. And I told him I was not interested in reminiscing or getting back together socially. I had much the same call from a guy in my high school senior class. I could almost feel the disappointment over the phone as I told him I was uninterested in meeting up with that old crowd, who had all stayed in touch. In part I was embarrassed at how my unfocused and unacomplished life would compare to those guys, men and women, who had been in law school or something else prestigious while I was earning my stripes for Uncle Sugar. And I feel bad about that, but it's probably best.

The worst of it, that not being able to keep up, is the fact of my estrangement from the two kids from my first marriage, and my daughter from my third. I haven't seen the first two since they were toddlers. I always thought that making the support payments was my duty but that I was asked to leave and I felt certain I was unwelcome in their lives. A mistake. My third kid, the daughter, and I, went through some horrendous stuff at the hands of my then wife who was an undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. I was booted out and not allowed to see my daughter, from her infancy to about when she was five. I got a court order and visitation, but my life continued to alternately crash and burn and we lost contact again. Until she was college age and she let me know that she was on her way to school in Portland. My Wife and I drove up, partly for a usual relatives visit in Oregon, and to see her graduate from high school, and to give her my Miata so she'd have it to bomb around in while away at school. And then she began her life, moved overseas for a while, got a long-term serious boyfriend, and set up housekeeping, in, of all places, Kansas.

Here's an oddity. When my old man passed, my Wife had already had experience being an estate executor, for her rich aunt, and volunteered to do that duty for my dad. As she was going about the business of notifying the places where he had investment accounts, a broker for a major investment company, who was in Oklahoma, asked my Wife out of the blue, when he heard my dad's name, "oh, any relation to a Jim Mahan?" And get this, the guy who was my old man's broker, in Oklahoma where my dad had never been, just happened by some twilight zone coincidence to be the guy my first wife had dumped me for, and the man she had been married to all the intervening time, the step father to my first two kids. And through the miracle of Facebook, my Wife, who has no problem with being social the way I do, has kept in touch, and one day a few years ago, told me, in an intermission at our grandkids school play, that my first wife had contacted her via Facebook to announce that my daughter's kid had just had her first kid. And She leans over to show me Her phone, and asks me, "want to see a picture of Erin's grandchild?" My first kid was now a grandmother for the first time, and that made me a great-grandfather. And I am still estranged and have never seen any of those people since my daughter was three years old. My son Ryan is a guitar player in an old guy's retro rock band in Oklahoma. I saw a short video on my Wife's phone.

My dad had two sailboats, successively, when we were kids, and taught us to sail, in various places in southern California. In my late twenties, back in the SF Bay area between wives, I sailed rental boats on the bay with a friend from Texas, a civilian, who had just upped and moved with his girlfriend to the city. One day he showed up at my door, and said he was living in the city, and we briefly got together for sailing and one thing or another. And having a life-long dream of owning my own boat, and living on it and sailing the world, thinking I could get my shirt together and build a boat, I found the WB website. I had already been to every other website with info on boats. I eventually bought my Friendship sloop, homemade by a guy in Seattle, when Tom and I drove to Dana Point in southern California to buy it. We sailed it one season on the Delta and then it sat on it's trailer in my driveway for another decade before I gave it to a kid who had seen my thread about it here. I have a set of plans, unused, for an Alden Indian daysailer.

A heartiest of thanks to all who participate here for being my virtual friends and Brothers of the Boat. Long may you all keep your bottom wet and your eyes on the blue horizon.

Today marks the end of one cycle of how life has changed so much. Tomorrow at 8AM my wife will drop me off at the hospital into the care of great nurses and doctors in the radiology lab. They will be able to remove about 5 plus liters of fluid that seems like it may be even more right now. This two week cycle had its beginning almost three years ago and how much longer it may go is a question. It seems likely that I may be the oldest among you all.

What that means is a continuing mystery as memory of earlier times gets more clear while recent events become less cognizant. All boats have either been sold or given to those who will appreciate them. The workshop is still the center of my activity although the methods have undergone changes to correlate with the reduced scale of things that go out the door. Trying to make use of all the wood taken in over the years is foolish as I will never be able to use it all. Treasured woods that were waiting on just the right use are finding the way into whatever gets made now rather than waiting on "just the right use". I am grateful that I can still make things that are useful and appreciated and nothing is sold, only given to friends and family. Even though manual as well as mental skills have somewhat declined, working with both hands and mind keeps things on a more even keel than the rocking chair.

Seeing pictures or video of a great boat sailing along the coast of Maine or kayaks working rapids in Georgia, the thanks of a friend for a sheath knife or chopping block, or the happy smile of a kid with their new wooden car or plane is reward enough. Can I say that this may be the most useful contribution that can be made?

Yes, this is pretty damn personal but maybe here among others that have offered similar if less personal peeks is the right place to put it. It would be a nice thing to see how others have adapted to changing life patterns as spending so much time looking inward cannot be the most healthful thing. Much of this has been governed by an overlay of COVID and the restrictions that have resulted but that is just another bit of stuff to deal with even if it is the major issue at times.

Edited: Just read Jim Mahan's post and am seeing both the similarity and great difference in our look at our experiences. Perhaps the difference in age is the change in outlook, who knows? Perhaps circumstance has caused my world to close in tighter than most can appreciate.
    Last edited by Sandlapper; 07-12-2022 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    I turned 60 when Jim Ledger started his catboat thread.
    So... that makes you, what... 139 or so? You may qualify as 'oldest' among us. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The older folks were boating before fiberglass came along.

Fiberglass allowed for shapes wood would not do, and many of those shapes were less pleasing to the eye, and often didn't work as well in the water.

That said, pleasant looking vessels CAN be made with materials other than wood.

Nature of wood is that it lends itself to graceful curves.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    So... that makes you, what... 139 or so? You may qualify as 'oldest' among us. <G>
    Well, I'm not quite old enough to remember back before fiberglass came along, but I do remember back before epoxy! ;D

I’ll be 65 in October.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

I've been telling people who ask, since I was about forty, "I'll be [the age] in November, if I make it."

age ain't nothin but a number

I hit 74 last month. Perhaps I should say it hit me, but I'm recovering. I haven't built anything on my own, but helped build a pair of Snipes, a 43' tri and some FG boats in the past. I mostly sailed...racing and deliveries except for a couple of two week trips in the San Juan/Gulf Islands. I've worked on and repaired several wood boats and now have pared down to my big boat (f'glass), a Mirror and a Shearwater.

If the results so far are correct, we are certainly in the older part of the bell curve. I am entrenched in the 2 sigma range with only one way out. An extremely small group of friends populate my group and only two are slightly older. We don't make a point of it but do acknowledge the rarity of it. Much larger groups of local widows are far more involved and have group activities they keep busy while we few males, mostly still with wives, are less likely to organize other than an occasional meal. Since my sailing was curtailed by health, social life is much less available although we do still have some engagement with long time friends. It may sound like a retirement home but it is really a small and very active town with more than the average number of retired people making a home here.

I suspect that a large city would not afford nearly the equal of our opportunities as they would be mixed in with so many of different interests.

"It takes a village' is not just for kids.

Geez. No WONDER you’re all so grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

Tell my sons and friends im getting to old to set trusses, roof and do concrete

Theres no way to get help anymore..

So im drafted..

All my friends have died.

Smoking, drinking, drugs did them all in.

My son rents a small warehouse. Its a wooden structure built in 1908. Two months ago there was a traffic accident and one car hit the side of the building. Pushed a window in, broke about 4 studs. The wall is pushed in. The landlord says he can’t find a licensed and bonded carpenter to do the repair. The jobs not big enough for a builder, but too big for a handyman.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

27, but I might have dyscalculia...or numerical number reversal...

I freely admit to being far grumpier than my age would seem to allow, Fred.

51.. and my bladder can hold over 2 litres.

55 and counting. And got my boy into wood boats as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

60 is the new 40, but with less mayhem and debauchery.

70 is the new 30, but without any ability for debauchery. Mayhem is still an option.

Remember, old age and treachery will always overcome both youth and skill.

I woke up this morning feeling like a 20-year-old.
    ...ever notice there's never a 20-year-old around when you feel like one? (ssss boooo)

OK actually 56 in a couple of months.

What are you doing about it?