View Poll Results: What age category do you claim to fit in?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20 - 30

1 0.66%
  • 30 - 40

2 1.32%
  • 40 - 50

12 7.89%
  • 50 - 60

30 19.74%
  • 60 - 70

51 33.55%
  • and up

56 36.84%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Age of members poll

Default Re: Age of members poll

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    70 is the new 30, but without any ability for debauchery. Mayhem is still an option.

Remember, old age and treachery will always overcome both youth and skill.
    OH GOD! I don't want to live through 30 again! That was tough enough the first time!

74 feeling 85
    Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Turning 73 next month. Just ordered an electric motor for the canoe.

73. What the hell, how did I get here?
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

retired early and been retired for 18 years - do the maths

Do the poll results give a hint why I've raised the - admittedly uncomfortable - issue of watching out for cognitive decline... in yourself, and in your fellow BilgeRats?

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...nitive+decline

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Cognitive decline. I feel like you're trying to suggest something, but I'm not quite getting it. Maybe you've mentioned this before? dunno.

(wanna fight?)
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Cognitive decline. I feel like you're trying to suggest something, but I'm not quite getting it. Maybe you've mentioned this before? dunno.

(wanna fight?)
    <snort>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Another 6 months and I fall off the top half of that poll.

I'm 55 ,and quite childish.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

75 last April 22 - Dad died at 77 from a stroke, but retired at 55 and never worked a day later in his life - worked in the Aerospace industry - I was raised in Florida - Dad worked at Cape Canaveral. Mom died at 79, both were smokers - I was too until I was 33. I retired on my 63 birthday - enjoying life - had many different careers and experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Do the poll results give a hint why I've raised the - admittedly uncomfortable - issue of watching out for cognitive decline... in yourself, and in your fellow BilgeRats?

No, no it doesn’t. Is it a topic at home?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    No, no it doesn’t. Is it a topic at home?
    Well it should.

And you didn't read the links before responding. A common failing among the mentally failing <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Well it should.

And you didn't read the links before responding. A common failing among the mentally failing <G>
    seriously is it a topic at home? I’ve read your threads on decline and your approach doesn’t come across as empathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    seriously is it a topic at home? I’ve read your threads on decline and your approach doesn’t come across as empathetic.
    Not a problem at home, no. Not yet, as far as anyone can tell.

I'm quite empathetic with anyone suffering from age-related maladies - mental or physical. This week, for example, I'm helping the widow of an old buddy clear out her property getting ready to sell it. She has COPD, and a brand new hip, so can't do much physical. Her son is helping... and my two sons & I are helping. Did the same thing a few months back for another old friend who was hit hard, all too fast, and deep by dementia. I helped he and his wife move to a more friendly home, and helped her sort and find homes for his huge collection of boating gear when he finally succumbed. In both cases, their own kids did a lot, but having full-time jobs could only do so much.

What I have less sympathy for... are those who want to argue about whether it's an issue to be on the lookout for. Or who want to take the heads-up as a personal insult.

And this poll shows that a large % of BilgeRats are in the prime age group for these issues to emerge.

https://medlineplus.gov/mildcognitiveimpairment.html

https://www.cdc.gov/aging/data/subje...0among%20women.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The fact that the poll sort of tops out at 70 is um....the suck.

Geez, you guys are a bunch of geezers! At 50, this is about the only place where I fall into the "young"(ish) category...

I guess that's probably also why pretty much everyone here knows more about boats and sailing than I do, especially outside my very narrow little niche of sail & oar cruising.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

83.75. Today is good I feel about 83.5

Not sure what this thread is aimed at, but SWMBO and I have noticed lately that most of our friends can't make it through a metal detector these days. We also both use those pill boxes with days of the week on them. I'm 77, and she is considerably younger--at 76, at least until next week. The biggest sign of aging, however, is an intense dislike of rap music.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Not sure what this thread is aimed at, but SWMBO and I have noticed lately that most of our friends can't make it through a metal detector these days. We also both use those pill boxes with days of the week on them. I'm 77, and she is considerably younger--at 76, at least until next week. The biggest sign of aging, however, is an intense dislike of rap music.
    I'll take rap over frothy pop any day.

Actually, I'll take silence over either of them.

But that ain't "old"--that's "good taste."

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Might add to the list: I was 14 before we had a television in the house. I remember cleaning spark plugs at the local gas station; a tube-tester at the local drug store. An X-ray machine to check if children's shoes fit. The announcement of the Salk polio vaccine.

Might add to the list: I was 14 before we had a television in the house. I remember cleaning spark plugs at the local gas station; a tube-tester at the local drug store. An X-ray machine to check if children's shoes fit. The announcement of the Salk polio vaccine.
    Nothing unusual about that.

I celebrated for two weeks when I turned 33 plus 4 months. I considered it my first "record" birthday. Than I got older, and only celebrated for a week when I turned 45. Next month I turn 78. I hope I remember to party.
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

A further comment on age and aging: I heard not too long ago someone observe that we're only young once, but there's no age limit on immaturity.

Woohoo!
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

Might add to the list: I was 14 before we had a television in the house.
    Speaking of old TV, I vaguely remember my dear old Irish Mum watching the Army-McCarthy hearings.

She was riveted.

so, I recon ya dint listen to the Outkask tune from post 60

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    so, I recon ya dint listen to the Outkask tune from post 60
    A local columnist--Mitch Albom--used to do a radio bit based on the notion that music defined a generation. He challenged two generations to identify each other's music. Made a good point. Meanwhile, he played in his own rock group, which included Stephen King, Dave Barry, and others recognized mainly by their day jobs. Meanwhile, to me, the Beatles were an upstart cover band, unlikely to amount to much....

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

50 is mentioned twice.
    it's a philosophical quandary; which side....?

Spent the day on my knees and other uncomfortable positions welding a box trailer back together. Stiff as a 50-60 year old. I'm s#it with a stick welder but gave it a go cause I think like a 40-50yo....?

Will probably chuck it in the recycling. I was going to do the sides and floor in wood. But it's almost cheaper to buy a new one. Factoring in my dodgy welding, probably wiser to replace. 50-60?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    Speaking of old TV, I vaguely remember my dear old Irish Mum watching the Army-McCarthy hearings.

She was riveted.
    That would have been about eight years after the advent of broadcast television. Very high-tech.

he played in his own rock group, which included Stephen King, Dave Barry, and others recognized mainly by their day jobs.
    The Rock Bottom Remainders, IIRC.

There was a similarly literary sort of blues band in Canada (or at least Paul Quarrington was in it, which is good enough for me), Porkbelly Futures, which featured the divine Rebecca Campbell on vocals. "I got to share a stage with her once", he reminisced wistfully...

What are you doing about it?

I'm 83.5 and got two boats a-building........Billy Atkins' 11-4" "Newt" and Mr. Hacker's 14'3" "Slippery"......got that damn neuropathy in my feet and lower legs which makes shuffelling around in my small shop a bit burdensome but I can manage it.......
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation......Thoreau

My Dad built our first TV in ~1953 - probably 4" X 6" screen - the cabinet was Huge - one of his first jobs after college was building vacuum tubes. He was a Ham radio operator along with his 2 brothers at an early age - we had a whip antenna and a ham radio in our cars from 1955 on! Did not get a color TV till they moved to Riverside California in 1967 - I was away in college. They lived in Riverside for 6 months before they realized they were surrounded by mountains - California smog - I witnessed it when I visited them.

Got our first TV in 1949. Remember watching “Victory at Sea”. Also remember watching a young pretty girl’s coronation as the Queen of England.

My first lid of weed was 8 bux

If you even use the word “lid” you’re old! How about “Thai-sticks”?

I’m rapidly nearing six decades, but since 50 is the new 30, I’m actually Jack Benny’s age (how’s that for an old reference?) !

Built a wooden canoe some years back.

12029820-2F23-4F6E-8F63-696710C0D789.jpg
    Last edited by Ralphie Boy; 07-18-2022 at 11:16 PM.