Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We're getting old. This is going to happen more.

Default Re: We're getting old. This is going to happen more.

Quote Originally Posted by garland reese View Post
    It is always a shock, losing a friend. Even a virtual friend. We were never guaranteed tomorrow. Life is a gift, I believe. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Make the most and best of it. And leave a footprint of peace and love for those that you will influence. I wish and hope, to live up to that sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for those wise words.

I will be 71 in a month.
    Bought a bicycle a while ago, I keep falling off it
    I keep learning stuff and some of it is from you folk, Thank you all.
    I intend to keep having the best time I can until I don't.
    Take care everyone, I need you around....
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

The two most obvious benefits to the internet are access to information, if you know what to look for and where to look, and more importantly, the alleviation of loneliness for so many that need that in their lives. This place fills that need in very many ways, and one thing I have noticed on the rare occasions I have been able to meet with some of you in the flesh: no matter how you feel about the president, the issues at hand, or hell, if the sky is blue or red, there's not a person here I wouldn't enjoy sitting down and having something to drink with.

I don't post that often, but I have never felt unwelcome on this forum.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Yea my mom was a 2 pack a day smoker since she was 13. Everyone on her side that smoked died before 60. The only one to live past 90 was her oldest sister than never took up smoking.

Neither Renee or me smoke and since My daughter moved to California she’s quit as well.
    I've lost count of people I knew who refused to believe the Surgeon general, then died from smoking.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I figure I'm on borrowed time to say the least. My primary doctor is amazed I've lived as long as I have

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I've lost count of people I knew who refused to believe the Surgeon general, then died from smoking.
    I bet I smoke and drink more than anyone here.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

That's still living I assume!

Sobering posts on here..
    My father came in from the garden feeling a bit rough. My mother suggested some tea, but I was a bit more worried and called the medic. Yes, a heart attack at 52 yrs. He lived until 72 with some care, but likely had another one before he died while driving locally. At least he realised and pulled over.
    I am now 75 and get frequent checks, OK so far. But likely my diet was a bit more 'friendly' than his, back then.
    Out of interest, he has been cast in bronze with the others of his flight and there is an 'opening' of the exhibit at Hawking on the 29th of this month. He didn't think he did anything special in the war, but did design some nice boats later.
    So, while i didn't note many of Glen's posts, it does sharpen up the reality of age.

RIP Glen

I did not know Glen and don't remember him very well. When we had member numbers, mine was three digits although not sure what it was in the 1990s. Lost my original handle due to computer crash and picked the one that says where identify with. Don't get involved very much but do gather quite a few gems of wisdom from others here and don't know if my own posts are understood or appreciated. Some who post here have become internet friends of similar leanings and are appreciated greatly for their thoughtful responses. Only one has found the need to be nasty in opposition to whatever I said that set him off. It may have been wrong but was at least honestly meant.

Go well Glen into that dark night in whatever way you choose.

OK, now I'm gutted and reeling. Three local friends gone in a week and a half, plus Glen L. I last spoke to the latest when he called me last week on hearing the news about the first one.

What are you doing about it?

Migod. How awful that is. I'm so, so sorry.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Death Be Not Proud. Death ain't a bad thing, and I'll get there one of these days. Going on big water (Lake Michigan) solo as I am want to do.

Tom

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I didn’t know Glen was ill so his passing was a shock.

Lots of very nice and wise thoughts here.

I’ve battled stage 3 colorectal cancer twice since 2018. Three surgeries, 4 outpatient surgeries
    procedures, 16 rounds of chemo, 50 rounds of radiation, 47 days in the hospital, 11 months of physical therapy, more CTs and X-rays and ultrasounds than I can count.

My scans on Monday say I’mj cancer-free right now. Living with as much joy as I can muster.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

I’ve battled stage 3 colorectal cancer twice since 2018. Three surgeries, 4 outpatient surgeries
    procedures, 16 rounds of chemo, 50 rounds of radiation, 47 days in the hospital, 11 months of physical therapy, more CTs and X-rays and ultrasounds than I can count.

My scans on Monday say I’mj cancer-free right now. Living with as much joy as I can muster.
    That's great news, Cris. Relatable here, as Oystagirl recently finished chemo for her second go-round with breast cancer. Thankfully no radiation this time, as the surgery was more aggressive than last time.

#8: My father simply got tired at the end and was ready to go. Same with my mother. They just wanted to sleep, forever.

Last year I lost two old friends of similar age, one quickly to pancreatic cancer, the other to a spinal tumor. And this AM I just heard of a fellow RISD grad who died getting a lung transplant, same age. Jeesh. I am reminded of my paternal grandmother, who, when I told her that my girlfriend's father had died at the age of 77, clucked her tongue and said, " O, so young " ( she made it to 98, setting the bar for the family ).

I muse upon death every once in a while, but it isn't lurking yet.
    Last edited by Gerarddm; 07-13-2022 at 08:40 AM.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

The best to you always, Cris. You bring light to this forum every time you post.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Thanks very much Courtney and Jeff. Best wishes to Oystagirl. Two times really sucks. Wishing her the absolute best.

It’s getting to the stage that I know more dead folks than live ones. I know nothing of my grandfathers because I never thought to ask anybody and now the people to ask are dead.

Thanks very much Courtney and Jeff. Best wishes to Oystagirl. Two times really sucks. Wishing her the absolute best.
    Thank you, I'll pass that along. She's out of chemo and has regained most of her immune function, so that's a relief. I just hope it doesn't take too long for her hair to come back, she's a bit sensitive about that I think.

I was looking at old family photos. When I was a boy, there were three generations ahead of me: my parents and their siblings, my grandparents and their siblings, and my great grand aunts. Now there are two generations after me, but my brother, my cousins, and I are the oldest generation.

I look at the old photos and realize everyone in the picture is dead
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    It’s getting to the stage that I know more dead folks than live ones. I know nothing of my grandfathers because I never thought to ask anybody and now the people to ask are dead.
    I have been going through photo albums an naming the people in the pictures. Some I don't remember. I figure if my great grandkids look through these albums they'll not have to guess at who the people were, or the places.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Will there even be a WBF in 20/30 years?
    between the problem of aquiring insurance and attrition of ,um....us....ting lookin bleak mon.
    at least the bilge be sponge out

Good words, TomF! Thank you.
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Yea my mom was a 2 pack a day smoker since she was 13. Everyone on her side that smoked died before 60. The only one to live past 90 was her oldest sister than never took up smoking.

Neither Renee or me smoke and since My daughter moved to California she’s quit as well.
    Glad your daughter quit, Joe. Good deal! I am 52 now, and I quit many years ago ... thank goodness ... about the time I quit drinking! Peace to you guys!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

About 8 years ago Seattle had one of our freak snowstorms. About a foot on the ground. He and his wife hunkered down in 20F weather.
    On day 2 there was a knock on the door. Their 104 year old neighbor and her 80 year old son were checking to make sure they were OK. 104!
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Peter Sibley hassled me to join the forum, he felt it needed more Aussies.
    Now he's gone and I'm still here, and feeling relatively fit for 70.
    Back in January the mother of my youngest daughter took herself out, she had terminal cancer. Her last words to me were, I'm dying with a smile on my face.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    It's been coming, but only discussed in the Pub. He was old. He was wore out. He'd done some good in the world. And he died peacefully. Not bad, my friend. Not bad at all. You will be missed.

Yes, WBF, and The Bilge, are a treasure. And yes, we're getting older. No one likes it when I point out instances where it seems to be affecting cognition. Understandably, no one wants to contemplate it, and consider that the Reaper comes for us all eventually. But aging, in all its forms, is gonna happen - ready or not, and whether we are comfortable with it or not. Glen was ready, and I hope he's in a better place. Maybe resting up... prepping for his next incarnation <G>
    An excellent writing there, David.........brings a bit of cheer and encouragement to these old neuropathy laden bones.....brought home a small load of 2 x 6 x 14' yellow pine to build strongback for my current love "Slippery" by Mr. Hacker.......carrying the weight of 83 years now and hope to be blessed with maybe 2 - 3 more to allow me to get her built.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation......Thoreau

Bump. Still true.

See posts #39 and #41.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

post #9
    how about that death pool ?
    that cold be a thing

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    She is a hospice nurse, and so makes a living helping people die. Some of Her patients are quite old, some quite young. From what I can tell the best time to die is when you're quite sure you've had enough of being alive.
    I tend to agree. I've outlived most of my friends. Lost my brother and my wife. I'm fortunate that we have phones, so I can at least talk to old friends. Unlikely I'll ever actually see them again.

I've pretty much got my affairs in order. Death does not scare me. Losing my mobility, losing my mind, and such scare me. I don't want to go through those stages, and I don't want my children to go through my going through those stages.

Part of life, I've found, is looking forward to something, like the next trip, or a concert. As I sit here, I have nothing I look forward to.

Firmly believe we ought to be able to sign our name, and be put to sleep as we do our pets.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    I knew my grandfather, and spent a lot of time with him. He lived to be a few days short of 100. No one remembered him being sick in any way, not even a headache, until he was 95. Guess it's good if you can do it that way.

I run to put barriers tween me and the inevitable. There are plenty of relatives and friends who I know will be sad and pained cause I'm gone so I do the best I can to stretch it. A month ago I bought bongos, claves and a cow bell to learn Cuban Son percussion. Shocked to see I'm pretty good at it. I think I gained 5 or 8 years to be given time to master em.
    Study Peace

This snippet from my dear friend, the late Chuck (Paladin) Phillips forum signature says it all........

Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

I like most of you better than you like me. That's my life. I came here because I wanted to build a wooden boat, I stay here because, whether or not I fit, it seems it's better than not checking in here to see what's interesting to you all. When I go, no one here will likely know . . I mean, if all goes normally, most of you will die before me, but if I go tomorrow, My Wife will miss me because she loves me, my work will miss me because I'm valuable, but no one else will miss me. My life is small, it's just how it happened.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Well I like you, Mike, and lots of us here do, too, and we’d definitely miss you. Did you ever build that boat?

Well I like you fine, Mike, even if you might think I don't.
    Fact is I like most of you if not all of you in some way or another.

I remember I gave up fighting with Jack Grebe and took him off my ignore list shortly before his tragic accident.
    That is one of the most comforting things I've ever done on this forum.

Yea I wear my heart on my sleeve and 3.7% of you hate me some of the time, but I love all of your and seeing one of us cross the bar makes each and every post from each and every one of you that more important.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment