Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're getting old. This is going to happen more.

Default We're getting old. This is going to happen more.

Glen's death startled me. While I knew that he was of a certain age, some of you may have known if he had specific health issues he was dealing with. I didn't.

Nobody owes us this information, of course - it's intensely private. And sometimes, things come up suddenly and there's no time or means to tell more widely what is happening in the small circles of our own lives.

But this is going to happen more.

In case something unexpected comes up for me (no sign at present!), just wanted to thank you people for the gift to me of your presence in the forum. In advance. So you know, in the event that suddenly I can't tell you.

This is a very fine place, for all that I also get driven to cynicism and frustration at times. Been hanging with some of you for almost 20 years now, and I've appreciated it.

t.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: We're getting old. This is going to happen more.

She is a hospice nurse, and so makes a living helping people die. Some of Her patients are quite old, some quite young. From what I can tell the best time to die is when you're quite sure you've had enough of being alive.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Oy. Startled me, definitely; this is the first I'd heard of it.

Tom, yer a good man.

I'm OK so far, but if there's one thing we know for sure it's that nobody gets out of here alive.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-11-2022 at 11:42 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Nice articulation of exactly what I was thinking, reading of Glenn's passing. Agree about 'the bilge' - it's one of my favorite places, has been for about 20, as well. Didn't expect that, when I joined.

AFA when we kick off - I imagine it's always nice to be surprised. And yep - many of us are 'at that age'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

It's been coming, but only discussed in the Pub. He was old. He was wore out. He'd done some good in the world. And he died peacefully. Not bad, my friend. Not bad at all. You will be missed.

Yes, WBF, and The Bilge, are a treasure. And yes, we're getting older. No one likes it when I point out instances where it seems to be affecting cognition. Understandably, no one wants to contemplate it, and consider that the Reaper comes for us all eventually. But aging, in all its forms, is gonna happen - ready or not, and whether we are comfortable with it or not. Glen was ready, and I hope he's in a better place. Maybe resting up... prepping for his next incarnation <G>
    Last edited by David G; 07-11-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

yea it's sobering
    sober sux

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

Tom, yer a good man.
    He is indeed!

Jeff C
    Donít expect much, and you wonít be disappointedÖ

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    She is a hospice nurse, and so makes a living helping people die. Some of Her patients are quite old, some quite young. From what I can tell the best time to die is when you're quite sure you've had enough of being alive.
    well said

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Should we have a death pool?
    Everybody kick in ten bux a year and pick a dude and a date until we get a winner, then start over again.
    might as well take the good with the bad

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    well said
    For me life should be like a vacation in that it should always last one day too long. That way you're ready for it to be over and you don't feel like you're missing out. A few years ago a relative died just before her 101st birthday. One day she lapsed into unconsciousness and never woke up. But for the few days she was in a coma those who knew her well were all saying how pissed she'd be if she woke up. She was ready to go.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Was talking to my younger son the other day, mentioned something someone had written once about sailing a tall ship, and then what someone else had shown us about flying. And how it lined up with what yet others had talked about describing making music, making art, etc.

The kid blinked and shook his head. Said something like "man, none of the places I go online or anywhere else have people like that."

Yeah. It's why I've been here, these past couple of decades.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The best digital place to improve your live.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    For me life should be like a vacation in that it should always last one day too long. That way you're ready for it to be over and you don't feel like you're missing out. A few years ago a relative died just before her 101st birthday. One day she lapsed into unconsciousness and never woke up. But for the few days she was in a coma those who knew her well were all saying how pissed she'd be if she woke up. She was ready to go.
    At the dinner table last night the six yr old asked who I’d be to his kids and in my head I’m thinking “probably dead” but said great grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Glen's death startled me. While I knew that he was of a certain age, some of you may have known if he had specific health issues he was dealing with. I didn't.

Nobody owes us this information, of course - it's intensely private. And sometimes, things come up suddenly and there's no time or means to tell more widely what is happening in the small circles of our own lives.

But this is going to happen more.

In case something unexpected comes up for me (no sign at present!), just wanted to thank you people for the gift to me of your presence in the forum. In advance. So you know, in the event that suddenly I can't tell you.

This is a very fine place, for all that I also get driven to cynicism and frustration at times. Been hanging with some of you for almost 20 years now, and I've appreciated it.

t.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Oy. Startled me, definitely; this is the first I'd heard of it.

Tom, yer a good man.

I'm OK so far, but it there's one thing we know for sure it's that nobody gets out of here alive.
    That's something some people never seem to accept - certainly a universal truth.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    The best digital place to improve your live.
    Yes. And gives you a certain degree of digital immortality. Something to think about, really.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Add to the above, I have been directed to music by folks here. Music I had never crossed paths with before. Roots blues, Canadian maritime, jazz, and classical.
    Book recommendations. Movies. Artists.

Yes, all that, plus the love/hate relationship with the automobile.
    Details about aircraft and flying.
    Cooking and meals.

And occasionally someone might mention a wooden boat.

Thanks, mentors.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Nice words Tom.

I had quad bypass three years ago. My doc said I could expect 15 years if I quit the beer and lost 50 pounds. I say, why waste all those extra years being miserable.

t.
    Very timely, Tom - a friend of mine died suddenly July 1st and I am looking after his estate. He didn't do all that much online, but it's been quite moving to realize how many lives he touched. What you said goes for me too.

What are you doing about it?

I am of an age where my friends and acquaintances are dropping like flies, and it is sobering.
    Just yesterday I was surfing in the pub and wondering about Glen, smiling and thinking only good things.
    Today the world is not quite the same...

A dear friend and mentor died a couple of weeks ago here too. A very active, vigorous, thoughtful man, his death snuck up on us. For all that he was actually in his early 90s, had been a widower for about 10 years. Was very private about his health, and the cancer which took him did its work in less than 2 months.

And he was ready. Had spent the last 40+ years living in such a way that whenever and however death came for him, he'd be at peace with it.

We don't get out of here alive. Like Tom, I appreciate being able to come here, to connect, learn and work out complex thoughts. In the digital world, made real friendships; some better than i do in the daily IRL. Glen's loss is a real loss we will all feel. He was a warm fellow with big heart. He never crossed much and was always a light in the dimness without real regard of personal politics or personalities. He was every bit the best of the bilge.

Keith once used Thoreau's famous quote which has stuck with me for a very long time: "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation” — I took it as a sign to stick around and learn a thing or two as it is most frequently used here as a reason to belong: we can share our own thoughts, trials, follow others passions and hurts, and in some respects give us lives which seems to avoid the mediocrity of playing it small, giving us a chance of extra-ordinary success through the sharing and the shared.

Without friends none of this is possible.

A dear friend and mentor died a couple of weeks ago here too. A very active, vigorous, thoughtful man, his death snuck up on us. For all that he was actually in his early 90s, had been a widower for about 10 years. Was very private about his health, and the cancer which took him did its work in less than 2 months.

And he was ready. Had spent the last 40+ years living in such a way that whenever and however death came for him, he'd be at peace with it.
    I wish that had been the case with my friend. He was a musician I'd played with, off and on, since I met him about thirty-five years ago. He was sixteen years older than me, and had a lot of health challenges through his last ten years or so - pulmonary embolism, heart trouble, terrible arthritis, sudden blackouts resulting in a broken neck among other thing. Quality of life wasn't much toward the end, but I think some people were still taken by surprise.

I do wish he'd left a will. He'd appointed me power of attorney back in 2015, but I don't think he realized that wouldn't survive his death. But his next of kin are content to have me do the necessary.

"a guy showed me a picture and said 'this is a picture of me when i was younger'."

"man, every picture of you is when you were younger."

~mitch hedburg

Flying Orca, sounds like your friend put up a good fight.

I’d like to both exhibit some grace and dignity, and have to have someone hold me down in the moment, kicking but not screaming. And I’d prefer to be awake for it. My current outlook is, if She gets back now with the tacos, to find me inert, at last I got the lawn mowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Keith once used Thoreau's famous quote which has stuck with me for a very long time: "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation” —
    Did I? I find I agree with it less and less as time goes on (and I like Thoreau less and less, but that's another matter). Some folks do, but he's being too hard on his fellow humans.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Flying Orca, sounds like your friend put up a good fight.
    He did, and for longer than he thought he would have to.

The fact that my mother died when she was 48 has always haunted me since Iíve passed 48 by almost a decade ago. The idea that Iíve lived almost 10 years longer that my mother always feels to me like Iím living on borrowed time.

At 57+ Iím in decent health, eat well, drink to much and exercise some. I do wake up now with marginal moaning and groaning with a bit of a stiff back.
    I donít anticipating taking a dirt nap anytime soon but we never know do we.

I love most everyone here and Glenís passing shook me as well.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

There's a thread about asking why anyone comes to the bilge……………………..

Glen is part of the answer.
    And I would never have known any of you wonderful people without the WB Forum, so a nod to WB and thank you.

I know I was in my 40s when I came here and lookit me now.

Nice thread, just when I had resolved that this place was getting to a point where the bad was beginning to outweigh the good too.
    One thread like this is regenerative.
    I read about Glen at 3 or 4 am , and typed out some simplistic response, I liked him and actually had thought about him a couple of days ago wondering how he was doing.

I had no idea that Glen was in ill-health. I was aware of his age.

I am 68 years old. My father passed away at the age of 66 (emphysema from smoking). His father passed at the age of 37 (pneumonia while in the hospital for peritonitis). His father passed at the age of 37 (contagious disease). They were all Irish and I have not been able to trace beyond that. So I have no idea of the natural longevity on the paternal side of my family.

I want you all to know that I, Like Joe (SoCal), love most of you here. And that Glen's passing shook me as well.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

I love how my Father in Law passed. He was a tall 90 something Irish born gentleman, who had surprisingly good health despite his love of whiskey and past history with cigarettes.
    He loved to gamble and play lotto every day but had never “hit it big”. Well, one day he won about 70k from a scratcher. Soon he was admitted to hospital; even though he looked fine: he reportedly told a nurse, you won’t see me here tomorrow, and true to his word he passed that night, after seeing everyone. The lotto winnings paid for the funeral and burial, and the leftover funds were distributed to his children. I believe he chose his time, as this way he could go out a winner.

RIP Glen.

Thank you for putting it so well Tom. We had 3 generations at dinner tonight - the whole famn damily in fact - & all raised a glass to Glen. He'd be OK with chocolate milk raised in respect, right?

I find myself saying to folks in the real world "A friend said such & such the other day" & I'm referring to something said here. Yes, I've gotten to meet many here IRL, but even those I haven't physically met have come to mean a lot to me (yes - you Tom, as well as others).

This really is a very special place & I hope that continues.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Thanks for that Joe.
    It mirrors quite a bit how I feel too.
    Dad passed at 46 from a massive heart attack.
    I put that down mostly to heavy smoking so explains why I have never smoked.
    I really only have one friend here in NZ that I call mate, though lots of other poeple I know well.
    That is why I appreciate the WBF family so much.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    Thanks for that Joe.
    It mirrors quite a bit how I feel too.
    Dad passed at 46 from a massive heart attack.
    I put that down mostly to heavy smoking so explains why I have never smoked.
    I really only have one friend here in NZ that I call mate, though lots of other poeple I know well.
    That is why I appreciate the WBF family so much.
    Yea my mom was a 2 pack a day smoker since she was 13. Everyone on her side that smoked died before 60. The only one to live past 90 was her oldest sister than never took up smoking.

Neither Renee or me smoke and since My daughter moved to California she’s quit as well.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

It is always a shock, losing a friend. Even a virtual friend. We were never guaranteed tomorrow. Life is a gift, I believe. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Make the most and best of it. And leave a footprint of peace and love for those that you will influence. I wish and hope, to live up to that sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said Terry. I've never understood the desire for longevity over quality of life. I'm a firm believer in self-determination and hope to check out on my terms where and when I'm ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Nice words Tom.

I had quad bypass three years ago. My doc said I could expect 15 years if I quit the beer and lost 50 pounds. I say, why waste all those extra years being miserable.
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.