Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite galley box breakfast?

Default What is your favorite galley box breakfast?

I am getting my boat and gear ready for the Salish 100 cruise. I have a Caledonia Yawl with ample room for gear etc. Trying to plan out some easy to cook meals. I have a small galley box cook setup with a Jet Boil stove.

My wife and I have a decent menu for lunch and dinners so far but we differ on what to do for breakfast. I am not too keen on just oatmeal. I feel like some protein other than freeze dried eggs etc. are needed.

What is your favorite easy to cook breakfast?

Default Re: What is your favorite galley box breakfast?

I’ve heard real eggs keep for a while. Good soft boiled. Add some angry grandma crunchy chili.

Small green apples with fresh ginger and turmeric. Not too sweet. They all keep well.

Cinnamon raisin bread soaked in a healthy oil. I like grape seed. Maybe toast lightly over the burner.

A handful of mixed nuts. I like unsalted walnut, almond, and pecan for early in the day.

Canned dolmas if not too heavy for bfast.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Breakfast Skillet by Mountain House is pretty tasty for freeze dried eggs when your motivation is limited.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

We like to toast bagels with some cream cheese and a slice of lunchmeat. Offshore I used to make those up at the start of each watch and stick them in a baggie so guys could eat 'em or stuff 'em in a pocket 'til later.

Soft boiled eggs are good. If you eat them out of the shell, no dishes other than a spoon. French press coffee, I had a plastic one so no worries about breakage; power rinse over the side under way.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

can you carry a stove that can hold a fry pan or a sauce pan?
    yer not hangin from a rope on the side of mt everest.

The precooked bacon that you don’t need to refrigerate is ok. Good enough for boat camping.

A friend with a Caledonia Yawl who we cruised in company with kept his food simple. He brought a pound of ham and a pound of cheese and some wraps and he had ham and cheese wraps three times a day. We were in a bigger boat and had much more elaborate meals. Meatloaf, ribs, curries, stirfrys.

Instant oatmeal with a lot of raisins, coffee, and canned (6 oz) fruit juice.

Oatmeal. PB&J. Coffee. Almonds. An orange. Lots of water. I rarely really cook anything in the morning. Too much work to be done before I can get underway.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

You using instant, yet?

hardboiled egg and a pot of coffee.

lunch at 10 am.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You using instant, yet?
    I use those Starbucks Via instant things when out on the boat. Gotta get me some Winco in the jug, though.

Stupid geography. Neighbor asked about you, BTW.

Those via tubes ainít in it with the real real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Breakfast Skillet by Mountain House is pretty tasty for freeze dried eggs when your motivation is limited.
    R
    That's one of my go-to's when I am backpacking and have a slow start to the day.

The instant oatmeal packets aren't bad, either. Bagels, English muffins and the like can be toasted and topped with a bunch of different stuff. Smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel. We make a version of "egg MACmuffins" with ham, cheddar, and egg and english muffins - easy to eat in hand and one pan. Add Aeropress coffee and some fresh fruit. The hard-boiled eggs are easy and can be prepped ahead of time.

If you've got a good non-stick pan to work with, eggs and shredded cheese wrapped in a tortilla with a little salsa is good, too.

Bacon will keep for a bit, too - if you can get a small packet of either back or streaky bacon that's vacuum packed it works.

Dried hash browns with bits of crumbled bacon and a bit of cheese works.

Lots of choices.

This is an interesting resource (no personal benefit) https://www.minimus.biz/ - they sell small packets of a variety of food, condiments and the like along with some shelf-stable things. For planning backpacking trips for groups, they are one of my go-to resources to help round out meals and make them more interesting.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Thanks for sharing. Some good ideas for an easy quick breakfast. We will be carrying a medium sized soft sided cooler so I might bring some hard boiled eggs.

This morning I tried a backpacking freeze dried breakfast I picked up at REI. It was actually OK.

We have been trying various instant coffees, they are easy to prepare and no mess.

This is my cook box which fits under my front thwart.

IMG_6993.jpg

It’s pretty easy to make some granola at home, and while it is essentially oatmeal, it also ain’t. You can eat it dry, or with milk or yogurt, and as snack whenever. Handy food.

We’re all fairly game to wrap anything in a tortilla and eat it, and a bean, rice, and cheese (or not) burrito is a fine way to begin stomach patrol. You might could even cook the rice and/or beans overnight in a thermos cooker? I have a wide mouth thermos I wrap in a heavy “jacket” to slow cook foods in.

Nuts and seeds are wonderful bang-for-buck foods. Good Old Raisins and Peanuts rarely fails.

Oh, and instant coffee for the win. The best part is the ability to vary the strength… this might need another tablespoon or two. Hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by timber_cruiser View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Some good ideas for an easy quick breakfast. We will be carrying a medium sized soft sided cooler so I might bring some hard boiled eggs.

This morning I tried a backpacking freeze dried breakfast I picked up at REI. It was actually OK.

We have been trying various instant coffees, they are easy to prepare and no mess.

This is my cook box which fits under my front thwart.

IMG_6993.jpg
    Just a thought - have you used that galley box like that with the stove before? A little metal on the insides of that stove compartment might be in order.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Naan and tortillas cover most meals. The perfect edible plate.

Naan and hummus. Boom! Thatís a brekky!

Back in Dovekie Days we used to put eggs in with the coffee water to hard boil.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    hardboiled egg and a pot of coffee.

lunch at 10 am.

PB&J on naan while underway is my go to. It’s a juggling act that I continue to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Just a thought - have you used that galley box like that with the stove before? A little metal on the insides of that stove compartment might be in order.
    Hey Canoez, Yep, I have used this several times. The JetBoil pot has a flex heat coil around the base. Very little heat escapes to the perimeter.

A handful of berries or a piece of fruit. A handful of nuts or some sort of cured meat for protein. Coffee. Water.

Cook dinners.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hey Canoez, Yep, I have used this several times. The JetBoil pot has a flex heat coil around the base. Very little heat escapes to the perimeter.
    - I have an MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe which doesn't have such shielding and would be extinguishing the galley box if I tried that.
    -William A. Ward

Muesli and UHT milk. Tea. Eggs on Sunday.

Forget instant oatmeal. soak the real steelcut stuff in the pot water overnight while you sleep camp - cooks very fast and is much better too. I like to use real maple, coconut oil and butter for flavor and granola to give it crunch. Stevens suggestion of precooked bacon is excellent and can be used for flavoring as well. I have tried doing homemade pork and beans precooked, frozen in tupperware and put in cooler for day 3 breakfast along with stored waxed eggs and apples. keeps the other food and drinks cold.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-08-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Forget instant oatmeal. soak the real steelcut stuff in the pot water overnight while you sleep camp - cooks very fast and is much better too. I like to use real maple coconut oil and butter for flavor and granola to give it crunch. Stevens suggestion of precooked bacon is excellent and can be used for flavoring as well. I have tried doing homemade pork and beans precooked, frozen in tupperware and put in cooler for day 3 breakfast along with stored waxed eggs and apples. keeps the other food and drinks cold.
    Great menu ideas. Had not heard about waxed eggs before...

Great menu ideas. Had not heard about waxed eggs before...

Fresh, organic eggs, if you can get them will last longer than store bought. Commercial eggs ( in the US) are washed, which removes the naturally protective coating. In many countries, eggs are sold unwashed and unrefrigerated.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Back in Dovekie Days we used to put eggs in with the coffee water to hard boil.
    Hard boiling eggs- perfect way to ruin a soft boiled egg.

Empanadas!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Hard boiling eggs- perfect way to ruin a soft boiled egg.
    Horses for courses Hard boiled good for salads and sandwiches, soft for delicate dishes
    My mother knew an eminent surgeon, a stickler for hygene in the wards and theatre. On his boat, he cooked his eggs in the tea kettle (this was a while back..)

Thinking about this: what i want to try as a cooking experiment is cornbread mix (add Steven's bacon with sliced onion) in a used tin food (buttered) can set in boiling water over the burner. I will try 15 minutes in boiling water and 2 minutes to crisp and brown. Maybe be able to hard boiled eggs at the same time.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

on our last week-long canoe trip, i hardboiled a few dozen eggs beforehand. that was a resounding success. my only regret was not doing more, ran out on about day four.

cooking is for the evening. you want to break camp and get on the river early in the morning. jet boil some coffee, peel an egg, dash of salt, away we go.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

There is no hurry getting underway in the AM in the Salish.
    the legs are short and timed to current generally.

+1 agree, will you be there again this year?