Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental health and mass murderers

Default Mental health and mass murderers

We do need to invest more in public mental heath support but seeing it as a primary cause of mass murder is misplaced. The cohort of citizens that suffer the worst from mental health troubles and get the least in the way of resources/help to cope is black women. They are not the mass murderers we have shooting up crowds every week in this country. https://www.socialsolutions.com/blog...thcare-access/
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Default Re: Mental health and mass murderers

^ Just so.
    I do not believe that there is more insanity in the US than in European nations.
    LOOK ELSEWHERE for the solution.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

^A suggestion; guns perhaps?

Guns/precious/Golem……………..

Also, I think there needs to be more distinction made between the sort of shootings where one or more guys gets in a stink and hauls out his hogleg to settle it, and the kind of utterly sick incident of the rooftop sniper rapid-firing into a crowd. Both are shootings, even, by FBI classifications, both 'mass,' being more than four shot in an incident. But clearly the latter is in a class by itself, and both mental health and gun availability need to be aspects of the effort to understand to try to end it.

On our local evening news, two such items were both mentioned, the horror at the parade, and an incident in downtown Sacramento which was 'just' some yahoos going at each other outside a bar at two in the morning and involving innocent bystanders.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

So a rapper raps about mass killing and dieing in a shootout with police, then posts about how he’s gonna do it, it’s his destiny, then he actually does it. So you think he’s sane? I sure as **** don’t.

The latest actual mass murder in Canada was by a very obviously unstable man in Nova Scotia. The latest attempted mass murder in BC which failed only by luck was by a couple of 22 year old “men” who seem to have a history of social isolation and an obsession with violence and in particular the north Hollywood shootout of 20 something years ago. Stable? Rational? Sane?

Thery didn'd get to 22 as completely rational people and suddenly go feral did they?

Nobody here wants to help any of these people!
    Like maybe before they they have gone over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Thery didn'd get to 22 as completely rational people and suddenly go feral did they?
    Nope. Like the rapper, and the NS shooter, hindsight shows the warning signs.

The point of posts six and seven is that of course anyone who would do such a thing is not right so it means we ought to leave the guns alone. Everyone should have unfettered access to guns, as much as they want of whatever kind they want because of course almost everyone who owns and uses their precious guns is a responsible person who doesn't do mass shootings. Of course.

People like the sick fuk at the parade in Highland Park get to have their AR fifteens because the the gun industry makes sales and thirty million gun fetishists insist on being able to be free to buy and own and play with them, and the gun lobby and manufacturers and all the incidental industries and all the pols who take their money agree. It isn't the guns it's the sickos.

My very unpopular opinion is that while we have this obscenity, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after tedious excrutiating year, while kids in schools and folks in church and at daycares and at spas and enjoying a parade get to be victims—while the same status quo that's been since daddy's daddy's daddy's daddy brought home the venison and the bacon and kept the wolves from the door and the fox out of the henhouse—continues, as along as innocent people along with the gangbangers die from gunshots, and as long as there continue to be people with the warped views of themselves and their world—ownership of AR-fifteens and similar weapons is insane and stupid and unconscionable.

I'll say it again, and take all the flack the hunters and ranchers and hobbiests and whomever can bring—you have no reason to own such a firearm. None. And for each second that you isist that you do, and continue to patronize the industry by buying and owning and trading and fondling and obsessing over it, and arguing on the internet—you, every one of you AR-fifteen owners—are complicit in the deaths and injuries that happened the other day in Highland Park, Ill.

Yes. You are.

Answer this if you still feel like defending your fetish. What harm will it actually do to you, what harm that compares to the bullet wounds those victims at the parade experienced, would you really suffer were you unable to continue to possess that firearm? If you were persuaded to turn it in, in a general amnesty or if the liberals came and confiscated it, what harm?

At the same time, turn this around and look at it another way. Suppose an angel came to you and lifted you magically up into the fair sky some nice summer night and showed you, like the specters showed Scrooge the Christmases past and present and future, all the gunshot victims in a single time period in your country. Time is suspended for you that night and you get to magically survey the country as gunshots ring out and people fall bloody in the street, in their homes, in their car, at the parade. And what if after all of that carnage, the angel tells you that, were you to put your own gun, your very own AR-fifteen, or the half dozen in your collection in your shiny well oiled walnut case, that if you disposed of all the bullets you own in cute little boxes that fit those firearms, if you just stopped owning all that, one, just one of those victims would not be shot, wouldn't die, would not have a disfiguring gunshot scar—what if the angel told you could stop a killing by putting down your weapon, even though you and the angel both know that you personally wouldn't ever shoot another person—would you put down your gun to save a life? Just one life? Would you give up owning an AR-fifteen, and keep all your other guns, the pistols and the other rifles and the shotguns, would you get rid of the AR to save lives if it would do that?

Or are you craven and complicit? Because owning an AR-fifteen, being a customer, going to the gunshows and the trade events and jawjacking with the guys down at the lodge about it, all of that equals allowing the twisted fuk on the rooftop to rapid fire into a crowd of parade goers. You and Charlton Heston and the the guys who sponsor the wetlands-saving hunting license derived funding—you make it possible for that twisted person to do his carnage and be on the TV.

Oh! It might be terrorism! Oh! It might be a hate crime!

Guns. And mental health. And overpopulation. And inflation and Joe Biden and yada yada yada.

If we get rid of the guns there will be no gun deaths. Forget whether it's freasible and figure out a way to not have to own the math. Guns kill people. Guns owned and bought and cherished by people—kill people.

Okay, your turn. Bring it.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 07-05-2022 at 10:16 PM.

Every time someone says I shouldn’t have a semi auto rifle, I buy another. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Every time someone says I shouldn’t have a semi auto rifle, I buy another. Just FYI.
    Wow. You really brought it, didn't you. I am so schooled now. Go buy another and have a peaceful slumber. Murderer. Oh, sorry, my mistake, not murderer.

Accomplice. Accessory. Go buy two more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Wow. You really brought it, didn't you. I am so schooled now. Go buy another and have a peaceful slumber. Murderer. Oh, sorry, my mistake, not murderer.

Accomplice. Accessory. Go buy two more.

Thanks, I will.

"….every one of you AR-fifteen owners—are complicit in the deaths and injuries that happened the other day in Highland Park, Ill."

And every shooting that happens………………. The gun lobby and the manufacturers and the SC are accomplices before the fact.

Nope

Again, who is responsible for an arson? Is it you because you use matches and gasoline? Is it the match and gasoline manufacturers? No, it’s the arsonist.
    Who is responsible for a rape? Is it the bar owner where a woman had a few too many? Is it the clothing manufacturer that made the blouse with the plunging neckline? No, it’s the rapist.

A crime is the responsibility of the person committing the crime. My having an AR had nothing to do with it. So screw you and your twisted finger pointing.

Jeez. Haven't you got anything better to do with your money? How can your imagination be so small?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf;[URL="tel:6690166"
    6690166[/URL]]Jeez. Haven't you got anything better to do with your money? How can your imagination be so small?
    Sounds like something else is small too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Jeez. Haven't you got anything better to do with your money? How can your imagination be so small?
    You’re right! I should get into howitzers!

The real point is that I’ll do what I want with my money, not what you want me to want.
    Last edited by Decourcy; 07-05-2022 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Sounds like something else is small too.

You’d think, with all the smart people here, that the insults could be a bit more original and biting. Wanna try for something original? Surely you can do better than that

I don’t see an insult there. Of course those who are belligerently bellicose may take it that way.

Does Anyone not believe that every mass shooter has mental health issues? Like 100% of them?
    Maybe if we go after the core problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    I don’t see an insult there. Of course those who are belligerently bellicose may take it that way.
    There, that’s a little better. 6/10 for effort

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    Does Anyone not believe that every mass shooter has mental health issues? Like 100% of them?
    Maybe if we go after the core problem.
    I believe that every gun addict, an example is presented in the posts above, has mental health issues, that's the core problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    I believe that every gun addict, an example is presented in the posts above, has mental health issues, that's the core problem.
    That attitude is where the problem starts. and it is the core problem!
    And the posts on this thread are hate filled crap! No answers, no compromises, just hate.

^I don't hate, its my opinion and I'm serious, the urge for gun possession is paranoia driven and is fed by those who make a lot of money from it.
    So stop your own crab and start thinking!

The numbers; in my country guns are illegal for individual "protection" and only available for hunters and sports shooters under very very strict regulations.
    The gun death toll in the Netherlands in 2021 was 32 people on a population of 17,5 million.
    Extrapolated to a country with a population 20 times larger that would be 640 deaths.

Perhaps you could give me the actual number of gun deaths in the USA in 2021?

Source CBS; www.cbs.nl
    Last edited by dutchpp; 07-06-2022 at 03:35 AM. Reason: adding numbers

Your opinion is prejudicial and closed mined! To begin with there is no such thing as a "gun addict". Addiction is a medical condition, an obsession is not an addiction!
    Not every gun owner does not run around the woods in camo, and your hate filled bigotry will never ever stop a shooting, you really believe your helping?

^ just take a look at your own text, who's the bigot here?
    But perhaps you could take a look at the numbers I added to post #27 ( I needed a veritable source so it took some time to find them so posts 27 and 28 probably crossed) and answer the question?
    Yes I think I can help by adding my Dutch and probably not easy to accept opinion.

It's like arguing with a trumper!!!!
    100% of mass killing shooters have a mental illness.

You have an interesting way of arguing ShorelineJohn but your last post shows that you are convinced of your own position and that you are not interested in other opinions, that's OK with me, have a nice day!

Thanks, I will.
    On a thread about insanity, a Canadian self identifies.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Liberals arguing against mental health, I am going to cut off my pony tail! I am not that old but I just can't figure anything out anymore.
    Some of us did not have the benefit of a school system which is a world model of mental health. We just had a president that is a text book case of so many mental health issues they can't all be named. a third of this country believes in a ridiculous lie about the election (something which we once set the gold bar) that if followed to the end (not just the treason and try to take over the country by a sitting president bit) winds up with blood drinking lizard people. And quite honestly I am the one that can't believe I'm not just making this stuff up.
    I do truly think we are producing some very angry people, and just trying to take away guns will not solve the real problems.
    Now I have no problems with any gun law that passes. But I know by the time it passes it will be so water down it won't make a bit of difference.
    Now an army of mental health professionals in our schools, a national emphases in the work place, laws requiring it in insurance plans, they could help and with less angry people it would be much easier pass laws that would be seen as keeping safe from terror attacks. And, and and an army of mental health professionals in our schools would mean this country sill has a future.
    I would like to see the age moved to 21 but I would allow 18 to 21 yo to rent and shoot at a licensed shooting range including AR-15s. I think it would end up producing less gun owners at 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    On a thread about insanity, a Canadian self identifies.
    No, a Canadian points out the ridiculous. Much like my taking to task the “zero guns equals zero gun deaths” line of one member. Meaningless words are just that, meaningless.

I’m no more your stereotypical gun nut than Paul is with his “shall not be infringed bitches” line. But you guys are so desperate to have someone to blame. Anyone. And no, sorry, my having an AR (or 10) has nothing to do with your, or our, mass shooters, and I won’t roll over and feel the guilt you are trying hard to push on me.