Thread: Stage 4 TdF

Default Stage 4 TdF

Wout Van Aert- half man half motor says his teamate Primoz Roglic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__t07QAmyhc

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour...nce-stage-win/

Primož Roglič was full of praise after his teammate and the Tour de France yellow jersey Wout van Aert wiped the floor with the entire peloton to win stage 4 of the race.
    Van Aert and the Jumbo-Visma team lit up the race on the final cat 4. climb of the stage, dropping all of their rivals in the process. Nathan Van Hooydonck and Tiesj Benoot put in the grunt work and narrowed down the front of the race just just a handful of riders. They dropped Tadej Pogačar and most of the GC contenders with only Adam Yates, Daniel Martinez and Geraint Thomas able to match the Dutch team. Even Roglič couldn’t make the pace of his teammates near the summit of the short but steep climb.
    At the top of the summit only van Aert remained after he distanced last men standing, his teammate Jonas Vingegaard and Adam Yates (Ineos Grenadiers).
    Despite only a handful of seconds of an advantage van Aert built up around 30 seconds on the chasing peloton and held on to win his first stage of this year’s race. His record in the race so far is simply phenomenal with three second places and a win after just four days of race. He leads the race by a full 25 seconds and has a 61 point lead in the green jersey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQqEs6W8EN4

at 3:22 there’s a great overhead shot of Wout 4 km from the finish.
    Last edited by LeeG; 07-05-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Default Re: Stage 4 TdF

Was up early this morning to watch. I will make it a habit along with my coffee.

would be nice to have a streaming TdF thread we can opine on and remark about the countryside
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Was up early this morning to watch. I will make it a habit along with my coffee.

would be nice to have a streaming TdF thread we can opine on and remark about the countryside
    Last video clip showed a handful of tear drop trailers. Looked like fun. Phillipe Gilbert is in the race. Today is his 40th Bday. 40 and riding in the Tour.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...france-triumph

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Last video clip showed a handful of tear drop trailers. Looked like fun. Phillipe Gilbert is in the race. Today is his 40th Bday. 40 and riding in the Tour.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...france-triumph
    your choice of clips are excellent, dreamy.

I would love to do a self guided bicycle tour of Calais/Normandy. You would be one of those mellow guys who would make it quite fun. You earn the yellow and I will ride in the peloton. My mind is working and vision of possiblity are forming.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-05-2022 at 03:40 PM.

I haven’t read the whole thread but I am sorry to read that you have stage four TDF. Is it very uncomfortable? Can I send you something?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Here’s commentary from Lanterne Rouge. I get a kick out of him quitting his job as a lawyer and devoting full time Youtube coverage for bike races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqabWx7rr8

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I haven’t read the whole thread but I am sorry to read that you have stage four TDF. Is it very uncomfortable? Can I send you something?
    I’m good. Just had half pint of Cherry Garcia. Little grandaughter came out to my hang out after her nap. She’s a nut.

your choice of clips are excellent, dreamy.

I would love to do a self guided bicycle tour of Calais/Normandy. You would be one of those mellow guys who would make it quite fun. You earn the yellow and I will ride in the peloton. My mind is working and vision of possiblity are forming.
    You know what I like about this besides the fantastic views? It’s a feeling that Everything Will Be Ok. Sure I totally romantacize the places the race travels through and it’s a huge commercial enterprise. What the racers can do is awesome and insane. The gear Wout van Aert is turning I couldn’t use down a mountain with a tailwind.

Go to 2:03 where there’s a view of a tanker out in the Channel. Looks a little like NorCal.

Phillipe Gilbert is in the race. Today is his 40th Bday. 40 and riding in the Tour.
    Quite an accomplishment.

Joop Zoetemelk is another rider who rode the tour at an "advanced" age. I think he was 41 years old the last time he rode the tour.

My prostate and those skinny saddles are not friends. Watching the TDF reminds of our neighbor Bill Cooper.

A Math and Physics teacher. Who in one of his weaker moments rediscovered PSI. Bill was over visiting my folks when I rolled in on my used Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Bill said, "Tommy let me try that bike."
    He wasn't gone long and when he rolled back in. On dismount Bill said to me, " Now I know why you like to ride this dam thing. It feels so good when you get off."

Tom

You know what I like about this besides the fantastic views? It’s a feeling that Everything Will Be Ok. Sure I totally romantacize the places the race travels through and it’s a huge commercial enterprise. What the racers can do is awesome and insane. The gear Wout van Aert is turning I couldn’t use down a mountain with a tailwind.

Go to 2:03 where there’s a view of a tanker out in the Channel. Looks a little like NorCal.
    I can see that and the Channel beyond. I was drawn to watching the tour because it is almost normal, passionate stuff with riders who are at their peaks and happy spectators taking it all in among breathtaking roads, among farmland, most quaint places and narrow towns. some good things still endure.

There are rolling hills but i am sure they would not take the best of you. My wife used to work for the largest luxury active travel company in the world out of Berkeley. They used to run trips throughout many of the TdF areas with scouted, gorgous and proven safe routes made for leisure and semi serious riders. I have peddled a bit in the Loire and the Dordogne and was struck by how it changed me with them plus a few other places in Europe with them. I have hundreds of route wraps plus continue to have solid social friendships with those planning and scouting folks, many who live there. Thinking about places where better life choices aren't hard or weighted by darkness of society is such a different life view; if only for a moment to consider let alone 2 or 3 week or month proposed ride. I have been clever doing what I do on the motorbike on strict budgets, the bicycle is by extension might prove even better in other ways. I sure would like to ride with people who see the world like I do and love the moment by moment experience in some of the most beautiful two lane roads, countryside and towns the world has to offer.

Backroads? I remember a woman a few years older than me who worked for them and VeloSport. I sold her my Poghliaghi, or maybe it was a Specialized Expedition.

I was in France in ‘86 on honeymoon. We were at a winery somewhere in Champagne and as we came out to the parking lot a full on bike race shot by in 30 seconds. Big peloton and that sound of tires wind and gears.

Backroads? I remember a woman a few years older than me who worked for them and VeloSport. I sold her my Poghliaghi, or maybe it was a Specialized Expedition.

I was in France in ‘86 on honeymoon. We were at a winery somewhere in Champagne and as we came out to the parking lot a full on bike race shot by in 30 seconds. Big peloton and that sound of tires wind and gears.
    The same. https://www.backroads.com/award-winn.../biking/france.

I have serious trip credits with them do to stuff I did for the company over the many years. Could/can share those with friends. But it may be a self guided tour that tickles my seat. It all depends on what we could agree on. A combination bike ride and day hikes would be nice. I learned to love bicycling as an active vacation from those folks like the woman you sold your bike to. They live to ride and explore the world on two wheels and off the beaten path meeting special local people along the way.

The honeymoon in France must have been something. Getting to see the tour go by even for a second must have been so inspiring. Bicycles are wonderful things; in a simple form they are perfect.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-05-2022 at 11:09 PM.

Digging Magnus Cort at the start of all this, and not just because of the mustache.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Digging Magnus Cort at the start of all this, and not just because of the mustache.
    I keep thinking he should get a mustache award. Thinking of six day racers.

Neilson Powless!

Neilson Powless!
    #2 at the end of the day, I was trying to find the last time we an American in the top ten for any stage
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    #2 at the end of the day, I was trying to find the last time we an American in the top ten for any stage
    25th place to 2nd in one day.

Found it, Tejay in 2018.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2022/...our-de-france/

Edit, was wondering what happened to Tejay, found out he is a sports director for team EF Education. Mind blown.
    Last edited by switters; 07-06-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Roglic is pretty tough. Fell off his bike. Sat on a chair. Fixed his dislocated shoulder. Rode on.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    My prostate and those skinny saddles are not friends. Watching the TDF reminds of our neighbor Bill Cooper.

A Math and Physics teacher. Who in one of his weaker moments rediscovered PSI. Bill was over visiting my folks when I rolled in on my used Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Bill said, "Tommy let me try that bike."
    He wasn't gone long and when he rolled back in. On dismount Bill said to me, " Now I know why you like to ride this dam thing. It feels so good when you get off."

Tom
    Maybe you should consult a bike shop, the saddle, skinny or not, should never get anywhere near your prostate

Watching, but I'm about done tonight. Nice to see an Aussie pip the finish last night.