Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My hiking buddy is an ass.

Default Re: My hiking buddy is an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Great photos and trip (as well as ass!)
    Does Burro/Donk have a name?
    Name’s “Porter” which we often just shorten to “P”.

The white hair stripe on his neck is from a U.S. Bureau of Land Management freeze-brand.
    Former Gov’t Burro #5005:

2208Bass-09.jpg

He was born wild/feral in the Mohave Desert and captured in a roundup at about one year old and transported to a holding ranch in Utah. That was the extent of his experience with humans until we adopted him directly from the U.S. BLM at about two years old, picking him out of a captive herd of several hundred burros on the ranch. Interesting experience that was. He’s ten now. Come a long ways from the Mohave Desert. He did everything we asked of him on this trip, never balked or shut down as donks sometimes do, and there are some rough stretches on that trail.

2208Bass-10.jpg

Thanks for the great photos and trip details, that Burro looks really intelligent in some of your pictures!

J P, this could easily become my favorite thread. You make hard work look like fun!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

A few more to finish up this trip.

Lots of wildflowers were still in bloom in the high country. Mountain Bog Gentian along the stream where we drew our water near camp:

2208Bass-11.jpg

Bee for scale:

2208Bass-12.jpg

I saw some little trout in the stream that probably spilled out of the lake upstream. There are falls further downstream that I dont think fish could make it up. I took a dip in the stream burrrski! Significant shrinkage, but refreshing.

On the way out we stopped for a pack-off break after a two mile decent dropping about 1000ft elevation, passing the falls midway. That decent is one of the rougher, tougher, sections of the trail and we needed to readjust the pack rig for flatter ground.

2208Bass-13.jpg

Where we stopped there was a small tree laying across the trail. Wed gone around it on the way in. Id packed a saw, so I cut it during our break. Just as we were dragging it off to the side, two exquisitely fit trail runners came loping by. Not a word, just ran right around us pulling the log away, right by within inches of the backside of a tied up pack animal. As if we were clearing the trail just for them. I kind of half wished Seor Burro would have planted a hind hoof on one of their oh-so-firm butt cheeks as they went by -- they could use a lesson in trail etiquette. Their dogs had better manners. Wed met those runners coming the other way earlier and they seemed miffed to have to pause and step a little off the trail as we passed, and one actually kept jogging in place, seemingly obsessed in her fitness and endorphin buzz.

Other folks that we met, and their dogs, were great, all well behaved and friendly.

I was really impressed by a group of 6 to 8 gals, well into their 60s/70s, that had day-tripped up to that lake and back -- 16+ miles, 18+ if they went to the end of the lake. We were in a fairly tight spot where we met them coming the other way and we pulled off to let them go by.

One spry gal paused before passing P and me, and said, Hes not going to kick me is he?

Well, hes never kicked me or anyone else but you never know he might think youre special. Wink.

Not to be preachy, but: Generally the right thing to do when encountering stock on a trail is to give the stock and handlers/riders the ROW. Stop, keep dogs under control, keep up a little talk, no jerky moves, and step off the trail on the downhill side if its safe to do so. Most people tend to move uphill, which is understandable, but its less threatening to the animals to be lower predator/prey thing.

Unlike many of the canyons in the Bitterroot Mountains, this drainage has not burned in a long time and there are some nice stands of old growth timber in the bottom. Especially impressive to me were the 2-4ft diameter western larch, ~150ft tall, limbless most of the way up to the crown, ship mast straight. The good stuff. Hard to get good photos of big trees.

Cool down at trails end, and a good long drink of water (and a cold lager for the handlers). Ready to load up and head for home:

2208Bass-14.jpg

Thanks buddy.

Wow, I feel relaxed just by looking at your ass.

It must have been a wonderful hike.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Thanks once again for sharing a beautiful part of your world.
    Your ass is a delight to see as well.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Great pictures, and it's really interesting to see this way of experiencing the outdoors.

Most of the trails I walk are in conservation areas where even dog on leads are prohibited, so walking with burros is very much outside of my experience. That said, an encounter with a party of pack animals would probably only raise my mood on any trail.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'