Thread: Tinting Sailcloth?

Default Tinting Sailcloth?

Helloe
    I need/want to add reef points to the my Gartside #130 sails. I have enough scraps of White sailcloth and grommets to do the job but the sail is cream coloured.
    It would be nice to have the reef points be the same or at least a similar colour.
    Can one die/tint sailcloth and/or does anyone know where one could buy a small amount of cream coloured sailcloth? Just for corner patches etc.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Tinting Sailcloth?

see that aqua/green mizzen in the upper left corner?
    thinned out oil paint

Paint is about the only answer for tinting Dacron sailcloth. It comes resin-coated and dye doesn't get in there well. My experiments showed that all I could get with dye was that it looked dirty when done. You also need to be careful using chemicals on it. Some harmless sounding ones can really screw up the cloth's resistance to UV damage. Best bet is probably to order a yard of two of cream-colored Dacron from a place like Sailrite and just do the job properly.

Thanks!
    I will see what beige paints I have lying around. I also have an email into sailrite seeing if they have scraps. A yard would probably suffice, It just always irks me to pay the same amount on shipping as the price paint for the item.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

oh god, i'm not saying to do it, only that i did it. this was a 4 oz sail that i painted to make it last longer in the sun, as i leave it up alot at anchor.
    it will work poorly on a small nice sail.
    patches of a different color are not the end of the world

What! What??! I have just slopped great globs of miscellaneous house paint all over my sail! I went with puce!
    Is there a copyright issue????

Seriously though, I am actually awaiting a reply from sailrite and yes white corner patches wouldn't be horrible, just a little glaring. I guess it would make reefing in the dark easier.

This is something I was going to work on as 'paint' is drying on the boat sternsheets and floorboards

Plain Black tea seems to do a decent job of knocking the edge off of white sailcloth and giving it a tan look. Not perfect but probably adequate for making corner patches and reef points and not having them be glaringly white on a cream sail.