Thread: A Pagan in Vilnius..

Default A Pagan in Vilnius..

A 6 hour snapshot of the city.

DSC_0625.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

Strike up the band..

DSC_0633.jpg

Note the Eye of Horus..it is everywhere you go.

DSC_0642.jpg

Default Re: A Pagan in Vilnius..

No lightning came down from the sky? That god guy is getting sloppy!

Beautiful pictures. I can see why you went.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

How many churches in this shot?

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

Just as I was leaving I found someone I could relate to.. Jimmy Page note perfect.

DSC_0775.jpg

That is all.

You have good eyes, some of the pictures are really good ( I like the doors, the "praying" man and the last pic of the dancers).

Thanks.

When I visit a city for a short time I go as a meagre photographer and as a craftsman, I'm no mason, and not even a very good wood worker, but I know what it takes to make something you know? I'm a hardcore atheist, which goes as far as it can before being able to prove a negative, so while I marvel at the will to build and decorate over centuries these places which were built with such precision and knowledge of materials (to rival and surpass large yachtbuilding), money and time, I am discomforted at the thought that they were ALL wrong. I struggle with the confontation I might have between a 16th century mason in a tavern after work.. I might let slip that I think he is fundamentally deluded and has followed fairy tales all of his life.

I show respect to priests when I meet them, I am not impressed by them for the most part, but I love their buildings.

A former colleague of mine owned a 17th century house in the town of Hoorn in the Netherlands, during a restoration of a large oak beam they found a hidden letter of the 17th century mason/carpenter who installed the beam. The collegues conclusion was that these people were much wiser than we can now imagine. This guy certainly wasn't deluded.

I have been to Hoorn, a very beautiful town, although I was only at lunch there.

It does not sound as though the oak beam was part of a church or cathedral, although I might be wrong. When I look at the carvings and paintings or stained glass window in such places I see the work of a believer. For me the artisan has reached such an eschelon of experience and the dizzy heights of Gods hand that they can but be little else. Religeous architecture and art bestows the very essense of fervour and the 'higher' upon the viewer, that is it's primary intention. I can not imagine the artisans building them were but paid labourers.

Anyway, God abides in Vilnius in several ways. Grzegosz and I sipped wine, ate cheese and looked at churches while others prayed and took communion.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Thanks.

When I visit a city for a short time I go as a meagre photographer and as a craftsman, I'm no mason, and not even a very good wood worker, but I know what it takes to make something you know? I'm a hardcore atheist, which goes as far as it can before being able to prove a negative, so while I marvel at the will to build and decorate over centuries these places which were built with such precision and knowledge of materials (to rival and surpass large yachtbuilding), money and time, I am discomforted at the thought that they were ALL wrong. I struggle with the confrontation I might have between a 16th century mason in a tavern after work.. I might let slip that I think he is fundamentally deluded and has followed fairy tales all of his life.

I show respect to priests when I meet them, I am not impressed by them for the most part, but I love their buildings.
    I figure my current beliefs would have gotten me burned at the stake in medieval times. I'd possible be willing to believe in a god if I could sit down with him/her/it over a beer or two and get satisfactory answers to some very biting questions

Beautiful architecture and art.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Lovely shots. I spent about the same amount of time there years ago on an odyssey from Talinn to Minsk.

I've a thing for medieval timberframing, most of the very best of it is in churches. I know what you mean. I'm glad they concentrated so much effort and resources into single structures, though I might rather it was used differently had I been there.

Spectacular craftsmanship, from the Hagia Sofia, to Notre Dame. Though I think the trusses at westminster hall might qualify as the greatest ever produced by our species and its not a religious building.

It's good to build things, spiritually fulfilling in its own right. The Mason may not have been a zealot.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    ...It's good to build things, spiritually fulfilling in its own right. The Mason may not have been a zealot.
    that is how i see it, as well. the buildings resonate even for an atheist today.

the design and craftsmanship of any church, if beautiful enough, transcends any particular faith. and possibly outlasts it. or remains the same as the faith changes over time.

it's a bit of a metaphor for life: what matters most? what we profess, or what we do?

excellent photos as usual, martin.

Excellent photos Martin.

Pagans seemed to enjoy themselves where ever they go.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-05-2022 at 07:16 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Wonderful photos, Martin. Thanks for bringing us along. I’d love to visit that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Very cool. I love churches, hate religion.
    Me, too.

Thx Martin.

You are all welcome..

Fantastic!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I would imagine that a tour of the Baltic countries of the old Soviet Union would be fascinating. Tallin, Estonia I would especially like to see.

Thank you for sharing your adventure.

When I took my youngest to Belfast for her semester abroad, the young lady who was supposed to be her guide met us at Queen's but had to immediately step out because she was on her way to Kracow. When I asked her what was in Kracow worth seeing, she laughed and said 'I don't know. I guess we'll find out, and it's only about 40 euro to fly there'. So awesome. While my kid was in Europe she went to Paris, Barcelona, all sorts of places. I have done the same, using work assignments in Europe to visit a whole lot of Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Denmark. And later, Italy.

If I had the chance I would travel....everywhere.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Thanks for sharing a beautiful part of the world.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.