Thread: Mass shooting Illinois

Default Mass shooting Illinois

The news just broke in to a show to announce a mass shooting in Hyde Park, Illinois associated with a July 4th parade there.

I am unable to find details on line at this time.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Mass shooting Illinois

6 dead, killed by a rooftop shooter. Highland Park IL. No one in custody. He was shooting at parade viewers.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

30 people hospitalized. Gee, I wonder what his choice of rifle it was. Police have recovered it.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Sorry. The news story had a poor transmission for some way. The location and number dead was garbled.

Just a freakin' parade... I can't imagine the reason.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Welcome to the USA 21st century.

Gets increasingly difficult to be proud of my country.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

A good friend has a grandmother who immigrated from Ireland in the 1930s. A couple of months ago he received a brochure describing how easy it would be for him to gain full Irish citizenship based on grandma. He’s considering it.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

From the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-parade-police

Lake ocunty major crime taskforce spokesman Christopher Covelli said at a news conference that the gunman apparently opened fire on paradegoers from a rooftop using a rifle that was recovered at the scene. He didn’t know which building.

Covelli said police believe there was only one shooter and warned that he should still be considered armed and dangerous. The police said authorities are still searching for the suspect, calling it an “active incident” and urging people to stay away. Several witnesses said they heard multiple shots fired. One witness said he counted more than 20 shots.

I'm reasonably certain the author meant "Lake County"

I used to attend an every-Sunday morning motorcycle gathering in Highland Park, nice quite little town or at least it was 25 years ago. Another day, another tragedy wrought by an angry young man with a gun and all that half the political leaders in this country seem to care about about is what bathroom people are using and who we choose to partner with.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Welcome to the USA 21st century.

Gets increasingly difficult to be proud of my country.
    A horrible way of putting it, "Denmark had a mass shooting a couple of days ago, 3 dead, America says "hold my beer"."
    Damn, I get lost for words sometimes.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Sadly, I've looked into leaving. No country worth living in would have me. I'm pushing 50, no real money to speak of, no formal education although I'm highly qualified for any number of jobs.
    A lot of the better destination countries have had considerable increases in applications for residency from American people, we here in NZ are up over 10 fold over the past couple of years. Thats a sad sign.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

'Murica! Yeehah! Freedom to shoot anybody, at any time, with any weapon! Jesus! Guns! Babies!

Zeo guns = zero gun deaths. Do the math, dummies.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Default Mass shooting Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    A lot of the better destination countries have had considerable increases in applications for residency from American people, we here in NZ are up over 10 fold over the past couple of years. Thats a sad sign.

John Welsford

I have given it some thought. The guys I worked with in Greece all think I am nuts to stay in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 07-04-2022 at 05:10 PM.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    A horrible way of putting it, "Denmark had a mass shooting a couple of days ago, 3 dead, America says "hold my beer"."
    Damn, I get lost for words sometimes.

John Welsford
    The news is reporting that the shooter in Denmark picked his victims at random.

For many years a local guy has had signs on his front yard like this one, usually featuring a lethal projectile weapon of some kind. Lately, since the Uvalde massacre, he hasn't been putting them up. His 'good guy with a gun stops a bad guy' signs have vanished, too:
    P3BSW3PX6HQ2BC4PVEEB3DYWHY.jpg
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    "person of interest" has been identified. On the run in a 2010 Honda Fit.
    Well at least he won’t be running fast. Based on the ride he’s likely an Incel.
    Reportedly he’s a white guy so he’ll likely be taken alive.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Wait a sec, dammit, I drive a silver Honda Fit!
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

CNN said it's the 308 mass shooting in the US of A this year.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I just saw a cellphone video - the shots were very loud - about 28 to 30 in very rapid succession, a pause, then another batch of the same. He must have escaped after that round.
    The police in Akron OH fired that many rounds into the corpse of a 25 year old Black man.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Yeah, but you aren’t 22.

The police in Akron OH fired that many rounds into the corpse of a 25 year old Black man.
    That was running from the cops, wearing a ski mask after a high speed chase and possibly firing at police.
    Little different than sitting on the curb watching a parade and catching a bullet.

The suspect:

AB33B32C-2EEB-4A37-884B-08899C87767A.jpg
    Robert “Bobby” Crimo
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

And you're about the right age, too
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Thank you for the totally irrelevant post. You feel good about posting that?
    I feel sorry about having to add even more to the layers of gun culture in America.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

The governor of Illinois is blaming gun culture! What a crook! Doesn't he understand that it's HIS responsibility to have good guys with guns standing ready on every Chicago rooftop at all times to make sure that the gun market can carry on its LEGITIMATE business unimpeded by these incidents??
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

something like 10 million American ex pats livin overseas.
    if they all stayed home and voted maybe we could fix some stuff.

Can you blame them?
    We have friends in Minnesota, he's a Brit., she's a local but has residential status here after 22 years of teaching.
    She says she's scared to go out shopping, we are attempting to bring them back here. We have a hous for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    That was running from the cops, wearing a ski mask after a high speed chase and possibly firing at police.
    Little different than sitting on the curb watching a parade and catching a bullet.
    60 rounds. Think about it, 60 rounds. He sure as hell was not running after the first couple blew holes in him.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

It seems the punk's mother is somehow getting involved.

Highland Park mass shooting suspect's mother at center of some police contact

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    60 rounds. Think about it, 60 rounds. He sure as hell was not running after the first couple blew holes in him.
    Tasers didn’t work, so he was probably high. High people, or even people amped on adrenaline don’t act the way you’d expect. I’ve seen instances of people shot 20-30 times and still functioning. One of those was actually a marine in Iraq, and he was hit mostly with rounds from AK’s, not pistols.
    Reality ain’t Hollywood. Getting shot by a pistol doesn’t send someone flying over backwards. Was 60 a lot? Yup. But if you shoot someone 3-4 times and they don’t react, the natural response is to keep squeezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    It seems the punk's mother is somehow getting involved.

Highland Park mass shooting suspect's mother at center of some police contact

Guns good. Cleavage bad! Blur the cleavage, quickly dammit, that hint of not particularly large or threatening upper boob could psychologically scar some child for life! Or offend someone!
    I also fail to see how doing things like identifying a specific postbox linked to the suspects mother is in the public interest, or adds the slightest bit of useful information to the story.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Yeah, I saw that and shook my head. Primitives.