Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th July.

Default 4th July.

Its just another day for us here, but for my American friends it's an important one.
    In a time of unprecedented political turmoil, perhaps it's a time for reflection on what the country has been, and what it might be in future rather than about what is happening today.
    In any case, all the very best to all on this milestone day.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: 4th July.

Thanks John, for most, myself included, it’s about kids, food, fireworks, noise and maybe a parade.

Thanks!

We, therefore, the Representatives of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the World for the Rectitude of our Intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly Publish and Declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be, Free and Independent States; that they are absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political Connection between them and the State of Great-Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor. JH

Thanks, John. It is indeed a time of turmoil.

For people of good will everywhere, I offer the following reminder from Tupac --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

In our extended family, we run the gamut of political and religious views, so by tacit agreement these topics are not discussed. Holidays, no matter their original intent, are (for us) an excuse to get together and enjoy each other's company, and a respite from the stresses of work, current events, or whatever. A safe harbor in a stormy world.

Juneteenth is the new 4th. Maybe its because, around here, the 4th is just a big way to sell more stuff. Sales! Deals! Firecrackers! American flags made in China. Enough awreddi.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Thanks!

We, therefore, the Representatives of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the World for the Rectitude of our Intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly Publish and Declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be, Free and Independent States; that they are absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political Connection between them and the State of Great-Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor. JH
    "Freee and Independent States" That may cause you some trouble re the "United" bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    In our extended family, we run the gamut of political and religious views, so by tacit agreement these topics are not discussed. Holidays, no matter their original intent, are (for us) an excuse to get together and enjoy each other's company, and a respite from the stresses of work, current events, or whatever. A safe harbor in a stormy world.
    Sounds awdully civilized

Best wishes to all.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

jus another day fi me

Personal fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts. I just enjoyed an hour long show of 7 almost coordinated sets at my local beach. Tomorrow evening I could go to a big town beach and see the town's 20 minute professional one but I'd have to drive 7 miles and walk 25 blocks for the pleasure.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Personal fireworks are banned but assault rifles will be fine again once the SCOTUS finds out about the bans there. Sounds fair.
    Last edited by RFNK; 07-03-2022 at 10:08 PM.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

I used to go to the Lake Union fireworks here in Seattle and it was fun if you like wall to wall boats and friendly drunk people. Little boats would raft up to bigger boats so we would often have our boat full of amiable strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp;[URL="tel:6688931"
    6688931[/URL]]"Freee and Independent States" That may cause you some trouble re the "United" bit.
    Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

That, and this

Amendment IX. The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Both widely ignored.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

"... if you can keep it."
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Thanks, Mr. Welsford, and thanks again for the boats and the writing.

Did England ever claim a right to monopolize New Zealand's trade? If so, what was New Zealand's response?

I suggest to you that the difference was, the American colonies had, from whatever position of advantage, developed overseas trade such as would support independence. Other English colonies hadn't. So the scene was, we made our own independence first, through trade; why should we cede control of it? If New Zealand had been in a position to tell England to F off, would they have?

The material basis of independence is one thing. The moral basis, another.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Thanks John!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Just set up our blanket at Lake Mission Viejo gonna down later to swim , pick-nick, probably rent a sailboat and watch the fireworks later.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Sounds awdully civilized
    Quite a few right wingers and pro Trumpists in my extended family so I have learned to keep my mouth shut. A couple of years ago I was loudly critical of Trump at a family gathering (when Trump said he has done more for Blacks than any president since Lincoln, which I thought was hilarious) and was met with silence and a couple of deflective remarks. Sooo I got the hint. We find plenty to talk and laugh about but politics is off the table. So maybe a bit dull at times but at least we still like each other.

Quite a few right wingers and pro Trumpists in my extended family so I have learned to keep my mouth shut. A couple of years ago I was loudly critical of Trump at a family gathering (when Trump said he has done more for Blacks than any president since Lincoln, which I thought was hilarious) and was met with silence and a couple of deflective remarks. Sooo I got the hint. We find plenty to talk and laugh about but politics is off the table. So maybe a bit dull at times but at least we still like each other.
    There’s somehing to be said for getting along.

I have always been the progressive in a family of mostly conservative rednecks. Starting back in 1966, when I realized that the Vietnam War was a travesty, an abomination, and an affront to the values we in the U.S. espouse. Though these days some of the the younger folks lean my way.

But I've never 'kept my mouth shut'. They've learned to cope. And, over the years, I believe I've moved the scrum some.
    Last edited by David G; 07-04-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I have always been the progressive in a family of mostly conservative rednecks. Though these days some of the the younger folks lean my way.

But I've never 'kept my mouth shut'. They've learned to cope. And, over the years, I believe I've moved the scrum some.
    Yup, same here. Bwaaaaaah ha ha ™ 'kept my mouth shut'

At times there are decisions to be made.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

The city here sets off fireworks from Sand Island, a hundred yards from where I moor my boat. I'd go sit on das boot and watch if it weren't for the traffic/parking/people. We'll probably just stay home and hide.
    When I was a kid we'd go down to the local park on a lake. the 4th was a time of picnics, neighborly partying and swimming. This was the 50s when the US was in an incredible high, WWII was over, the country was prospering and differences were being forgotten, so we had neighbors who were German, Japanese, French, Swedish and English who all partied together. At dusk the local firefighters ferried fireworks out to a small island across from the park and started setting off the fireworks from the dock. And drinking beer. The fireworks ended when the last fireman was too drunk to light the fuses and we'd all pick up the picnic baskets and blankets and trundle home.

dates.jpg

I wish you all happy Proper Date Format Day
    Last edited by WszystekPoTrochu; 07-04-2022 at 01:37 PM. Reason: image was too compressed
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Trying to find Youtube clips of synchronized reel lawnmowers. Around 2008 or so I was in Pt Townsend for their parade and it was excellent. Synchronized VW campers.

Thanks!

But we take leave upon us to hereby steal English place names along with their language, screw around with maritime bouy colours and say 'aluminum', even though that's not a word.

Happy 4th you bunch of reprobates!
    Martin

4th of July breakfast before he head down to the lake #Ketchup&Mustard

1957AE6E-1C26-4942-A3B7-BFF4421923F1.jpg

Happy Fourth, neighbors!

Clubhouse welcome B.jpg

A sign my siblings and I put up last year when the border opened for the US members of our cottage community.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Thanks John, Dave.

Daughters and I sometimes go to dear friend’s pig roast in Iowa on the 4th. Not this year. Almost every year we go visit Ft Snelling, in 1820 the furthest outpost on the frontier, built to keep white settlers out and the fur trade intact. It’s as compromised a place as you’ll find in the U.S. It is built on Indian lands based on treaties that were broken. Dred and Harriet Scott were slaves of a post physician, Dr Emerson, and sued for their freedom based on four years at the fort in the free north. But it’s also been an outpost of science, of training for soldiers in the Civil, First, and Second Wars, and was chosen as the location for a Japanese language school during WWII because it was believed Minnesota was a racially tolerant place.

We go and watch them shoot cannons and parade soldiers and repeat patriotic speeches from 1825 and watch the blacksmith make things in the roaring hearth. It’s our tradition and we like it.

#24: " Sometimes you just gotta kiss your junkie friends goodbye " - Neil Young
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Personal fireworks are banned but assault rifles will be fine again once the SCOTUS finds out about the bans there. Sounds fair.
    There is no such thing as an assault rifle
    POSTED BY: THE REPORTER MAY 4, 2019

By KEATON LAMBERT

Sheridan High School Student

Editor’s Note: The Sheridan Student Column is brought to readers by Sheridan High School’s 10th grade English class, taught by Abby Williams.

There is no such thing as an assault rifle. Even though it is a commonly used term, it is incorrect both literally and grammatically.

“Assault rifle” is a media term used to attract attention, and this incorrect term has been normalized for any tactical style rifle. The rhetoric coming from anti-gun government officials and left-leaning media sources is too often flawed and uneducated. More concerned with pushing their political agenda than gaining a thorough background on firearms and shooting practices, they have used the term “assault rifle” repeatedly even though it is incorrect, for several reasons. The media and left-leaning government officials are more concerned about generating fear and grabbing eyes to headlines rather than using proper terminology and giving a proper analysis.

Assault is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as “a verb or noun, to violently attack or a military attack.”

“Assault rifle” is a term that makes no sense for “assault” is being used as an adjective. This term was generated by the media and adopted by anti-gun senators because the word assault itself gives off a negative connotation in general. In any context, assault is generally viewed as a negative thing, so when it is identified with tactical rifles it can mislead people and they will perceive it as a negative thing.

The term “assault rifle” is often used to describe rifles that have at least one of these features: An adjustable stock, vertical fore grip, quad rails for mounting things such as flashlights and laser, a muzzle brake or compensator and even a bayonet mount. However, these rifles are classified as tactical rifles. They give users more versatility and practicality while operating their firearm.

Many will argue that tactical rifles are military rifles that were designed to be used against people. This, however, is a false assumption. First and foremost, a tactical rifle is not a military grade firearm by any means. A tactical rifle was made for civilian use, not for military personnel. The M16 and M4 military rifles series is not available to the civilian public without a year-long background check, government clearance and hours of paperwork. Tactical rifles were invented to better aid the firearm operated on the range to be more versatile. Versatility does not equal lethality.

As a young, avid shooter, it upsets me to see the tools for a sport I love to be given such a negative connotation by the media and government, while the beneficial side of firearms is ignored entirely since it doesn’t fit a political narrative. I have shot several tactical rifles of different variations and calibers, and none of them was ever used against another human being.

The term “assault rifle” is incorrect from a literal and grammatical standpoint. The term is a way to instill a negative connotation into tactical rifles for political and controversial reasons. It is used to propagate fear to an uneducated public.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

assaultrifleassaultriflrassaultriflrassaultriflras saultrifleassaualtrifle