Thread: The smell of sulfur.

Default The smell of sulfur.

At 10:45 PM the air in Rubicon is acrid of sulfur, from the discharge of fireworks, which are still ongoing. And this is a rural location.
    If the dumbasses would burn up their AR15 rounds while their at it, would be some consolation.
    If this contamination effects my tomato's, I will be extremely put out.
    I plant determinate tomato plans which don't vine. Last years wild fire smoke decimated my cukes and the matters. What's a boy to do in the land of the free and Tea Party?

Tom

Default Re: The smell of sulfur.

Sulphur is actually used in greenhouses, to reduce fungal infections, therefore it might actually improve your plants...
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Here in South-By-God-Carolina, fireworks are not only legal, but they shoot them off all the time. 4th of July will be like a war zone around here. My biggest concern is that it hasn't rained in weeks. We're not big fans, especially our poor dog.

The dog might benefit from gabapentin, maybe a little late for this year though.
    Hope the AR-15 fans don't shoot up into the air.
    I've heard that on New Year's Eve in Phoenix, at midnight, all the cops drive into underground garages to avoid falling bullets from revelers firing into the air, perhaps Mr Pless can confirm.

I only get a little jumpy when I hear a double crack. AR toting tea baggers shooting in my general direction.
    The second pop is the sonic shock wave.
    Kinda cheers me up to know the sulfur might be good.

Tom

$10,000 fine here, and there are signs all over the place...
    Which is fine with me

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    [FONT="]At 10:45 PM the air in Rubicon is acrid of sulfur, from the discharge of fireworks, which are still ongoing. And this is a rural location.[/FONT]
    If the dumbasses would burn up their AR15 rounds while their at it, would be some consolation.
    If this contamination effects my tomato's, I will be extremely put out.
    I plant determinate tomato plans which don't vine. Last years wild fire smoke decimated my cukes and the matters. What's a boy to do in the land of the free and Tea Party?

Tom
    Whats a boy to do? Emigrate. Many are choosing to do just that, Australia and New Zealand among quite a few other countries have record applications for residency from Americans.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

it’s the nitrates, sulfur is sharp, nitrates give your fireworks that umami taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    $10,000 fine here, and there are signs all over the place...
    Which is fine with me
    I used to get fireworks from Chinatown but after the Oakland Hills fire in ‘91 the social acceptability of fireworks was right up there with drunk driving. Bummer.

After a week of hot weather, it is pouring down rain today. It goes back to hot weather after the amateur idiots quit trying to burn down the city.

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

#7: Portugal too.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Theres hoing to be thousands here filling the beach with fireworks.

I dont know any tea party folks or anyone with a ar15.

My guess is mainly white liberal people from portland that are camped on the beach blasting off fireworks..

Theres fire work stands on every corner.

Wierd how liberals hate people on the right they can assume every firecracker is from trump.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I used to get fireworks from Chinatown but after the Oakland Hills fire in ‘91 the social acceptability of fireworks was right up there with drunk driving. Bummer.
    Haven't heard a single "pop" from fireworks yet this weekend (and I don't miss it)

I think the 40 days and 40 nights of fire last year woke some people, finally...

Thousands of homes were lost, and when you see it happening live, then because it is close enough to see the glow at night wonder if it will reach you and yours, it really does get your attention.
    It is scary dry here, the smaller birds swoop down and fly through the garden hose as my wife is watering her potted plants.

And this about a month ago:
    "A small fire in the Santa Cruz Mountains started on May 2 because of a flare-up inside a tree that had burned in last year’s CZU Lightning Complex fires. Those fires raged for more than 40 days, consumed over 85,000 acres and destroyed about 7,000 buildings.
    Sunday’s Basin Fire ignited from embers that had smoldered for roughly eight months inside a 30-foot tree with a 6-foot diameter. The fire burned through about 7 acres and was quickly contained by Cal Fire.
    On Monday, the fire agency conducted an infrared-mapping flight that identified several similar hot spots within the CZU burn scar.
    “Our crews have been hiking into each identified location,” said Jonathan Cox, deputy chief of the agency’s San Mateo division, in an email.
    Coastal California around the Bay Area received less than half its average rainfall this past winter. “When you have that type of setup, these fuels can smolder,” said Scott Stephens, a fire scientist at UC Berkeley. “And they could smolder for many months.”
    https://www.kqed.org/science/1974648...ausing-trouble

I was up in Big Basin State Park a few weeks ago and as far as I could see (all the way to the coast, maybe 15 miles) is black and burned.

5A15460F-86A7-4E42-95E9-9155138B86A9.jpg

This Redwood tree is 16 feet across the butt six feet off the ground. It looks like it is trying to recover. The bark is black like charcoal all the way through. The people that are supposed to know say that yes they are sending out new shoots, but the sustained heat lasted too long and the trees are doomed.
    I'm hoping they are wrong

It is difficult to get perspective on these things

AAA36134-73AB-4C1F-BC72-8F0B6C7A4F13.jpg

A85F57D2-5299-4600-B471-51907AB4F4A7.jpg

Last edited by Canoeyawl; 07-04-2022 at 09:03 PM.

Things have calmed down since my first post and the 4th was a wash out literally 3/4" of rain.

Tom