Thread: Forehatch for a Folkboat

Default Forehatch for a Folkboat

I am about to build a new hatch for my Folkboat. I am going to build it as planked to match the main hatch and using some iroko planks. I propose to join the planks with a biscuit joint - ie routered groove with a joining pieces with grain a right angles to the planks. Also want to put in black caulking compound between the planks. Should I machine this before gluing or afterwards?

I could cheat and use a piece of marine ply, but she was built in 1948 and that wasn’t how they did things then.

Any thoughts please ladies and gentlemen.

Default Re: Forehatch for a Folkboat

If you mean to spline it together, cool...but if you plan on using actual biscuits I'd be very leery. They're fine inside, but I'd never use them on a boat bit (maybe cabinetry). If I were building it I'd do all the machining before assembly...but that's me

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

ayup , exactly my first thought, splined not "bisquik".
    ...still gonna leak, but at least it'll leak proper .(ditch the black crap...it's just theatre).

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ayup , exactly my first thought, splined not "bisquik".
    ...still gonna leak, but at least it'll leak proper .(ditch the black crap...it's just theatre).
    yes I mean spined or cross tongued - as in described here - https://www.classicboat.co.uk/articl...-tongue-joint/

Or I may just use a spline like a tongue and groove.

Spline/tongue & groove is what the article is showing. Very strong and a great system for edge joining planks/boards. Will your hatch have camber on it? Seems like most Folkboats I've seen were flat which would make the black compound a bit extraneous unless you want it visually. Keep in mind that leaks around that stuff will penetrate unseen down to your spline and you won't see anything 'til someone steps through the hatch