Thread: Need sources Marine plywood, southern New England

Default Need sources Marine plywood, southern New England

hi all, where can I find marine plywood. I will need 1/8" (which will be doubled up) and 1/4 (which will be also doubled up). I'm in RI but anywhere within 75 miles would be ok.

Also, anything a newbie marine plywood buyer should know about types etc?

thanks!

Default Re: Need sources Marine plywood, southern New England

Boulter Plywood Corporation, Medford, MA. I don't know the distance from there to your house.

I heartily recommend Readerís Hardwood Supply in East Taunton, MA, which is 40 minutes from Providence.
    http://readershardwoodsupply.com

Itís worth the trip to see the excellent selection of plywood and hardwoods.

Reader's looks like a neat place, and definitely somewhere I'll should check out (it's a bit further than my normal hardwood place in Stoughton, but looks nicer), but the selection at Boulter looks a lot wider, at least for _plywood_, if Reader's website is accurate. Which maybe makes sense, given the names

The two main types of marine plywood that people seem to use around here are Occume and Meranti. The former is lighter, but less rot resistant. The latter is heavier, but stronger and more rot resistant. I can vaguely remember some people will size up / down when switching between them, but not sure how close the dimensions have to be for that to make sense. A lot of designers spec weights using occume, so if you were aiming to get to the weight they give, that's the only way to do it. On the other hand, I think Iain Oughtred said in his book that he only bothers with Meranti, as he doesn't trust the rot resistance of Occume (but he also doesn't epoxy coat, so...)

The price sheet on the website (https://www.boulterplywood.com/) has prices and weights so you can see the difference.

There are also fancier types -- sapele is one I've seen occasionally crop up (I think Clint Chase offers it for bright finished parts of kits?), but a lot more money.
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

thanks guys

I was having trouble finding marine plywood that didn't cost a mint to ship to Vermont. Boulter had what I wanted but it was going to cost $ 100 to have three sheets shipped from Boston.

I happened to mention that when shopping at my local Builder's supply store, and, as it turned out, they ordered what I needed and didn't charge a dime for shipping. So you might get lucky if you ask around a little bit.