Thread: Arthritis

Default Arthritis

is nature's way of getting you take Tylenol.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Default Re: Arthritis

The anti-inflamatory foods and supplements (all of them), seem to keep it tolerable. So far.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    The anti-inflamatory foods and supplements (all of them), seem to keep it tolerable. So far.
    They certainly help. But there comes a point where I turn to synthetic chemistry, too, namely NSAIDs, sometimes combined with acetaminophen.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

And oxy.

Acetaminophen has only weak anti-inflammatory effects, it will treat the pain, but not slow the pathologic process. Ibuprofen, like other NSAIDs, will reduce inflammation.

Ibuprofen: Use with caution, that stuff can kill you.

"Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) — medications commonly used to treat pain and inflammation — can increase the risk of a heart attack, stroke and high blood pressure, whether you already have heart disease or not, although the risk is greater in those who have heart disease."
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20147557

So you expurts, where does plain ol aspirin fall on recommendation spectrum?

Quercetin, vit C, pomegranate, raw cruciferous, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    So you expurts, where does plain ol aspirin fall on recommendation spectrum?
    Asprin is the original nsaid. I read that on the internet. I use ibuprophen and acetaminophen, as sparingly as possible but as required. Asprin, like all the nsaids, is bad for your stomach. Acetaminophen harder on the liver, so they say.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Aspirin can cause bleeding, use it with great caution.
    Not mentioned in the warnings, "Bleeding" is a cause of death...
    It's quite a surprise when it happens and messy, just hope you are not too far from a hospital when it happens.

For arthritis pain, opioids offer pretty good relief, even in small doses

Abunch of years ago my BIL, partner in a civil engineering firm, got into an aspirin habit and had the emergency room trip with internal bleeding in his stomach. He made it and had no complications that I know of. I was on the verge of getting into the same habit when that happened and I backed way off.

Funny, I used to get this out of nowhere lingering pain, when I was in my twenties and thirties. Showed up in my thumbs or wrist. Seemed to be associated with a change of seasons. Came on in the fall. But I haven’t had it in years, until this current episode in my left elbow.

Methotrexate
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

This stuff helps me it’s an NSAID in gel form.
    A13F16EB-9EB6-4994-87BB-714AEA77F080.jpg
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

"Voltaren can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke. Do not use diclofenac just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG). Diclofenac may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal.
    Voltaren may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using this medicine, especially in older adults."

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I had a cousin who was a cardiologist that died last year. Apparently he had been taking a lot of acetaminophen for pain and it damaged his liver.

The more I read and think, the more I’m willing conclude that the best, healthiest thing to do is to just suck it up and bear this much discomfort. Maybe some meditation rather than medication.

On a side note, my Wife, who has been my mushroom (not the partying kind, which I’ve never had) advocate, has, in conjunction with sessions with a doctor, been ‘cured’ of the fibromyalgia She’s had since before we met, twenty years ago. She has just stopped having the daily constant debilitating chronic fatigue and pain. A real blessing. She’s up on the ‘shroom regimen and I’m now following it, mostly.

And low carbs, no added sugar, helps.

frankincense and myrrh.
    Frankincense and myrrh suppress inflammation via regulation of the metabolic profiling and the MAPK signaling pathway - PMC (nih.gov)
    Going to use my good wife as a lab rat. Arthur is in her hands.

Tom

The more I read and think, the more I’m willing conclude that the best, healthiest thing to do is to just suck it up and bear this much discomfort. Maybe some meditation rather than medication.

This Is not something to take too lightly, I know people in wheelchairs because they did not take this seriously and while the old saw that "Pain is not a medical emergency" remains as true as it ever was - the pain is a pretty good hint that something untoward is happening.

In the UK GPs (family doctors) see this day and daily and have become inured - so the first call is pain killers - which do not address the root cause.

I heard a Dutch doctorcommenting on the difference between the UK where people are often crippled and Holland where they take the disease seriously and vitlyaly nobody winds up in a wheelchair.

Auto-Immude diseases destroy lives - and they don't have to.

On a side note, my Wife, who has been my mushroom (not the partying kind, which I’ve never had) advocate, has, in conjunction with sessions with a doctor, been ‘cured’ of the fibromyalgia She’s had since before we met, twenty years ago. She has just stopped having the daily constant debilitating chronic fatigue and pain. A real blessing. She’s up on the ‘shroom regimen and I’m now following it, mostly.
    So,
    - real mushrooms, or an extract?
    - where does she get them?
    - anything else useful to add....

Thx.

I use CBD creme pretty liberally. I also take four ibuprofen a day (2 x 2). That's about it.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

After being skeptical, I’m a fan of topical cbd. Works.

The product line at this website are by Paul Stamets, the guy featured in the film Fantastic Fungi, which I've touted here, before. If you haven't seen it yet, even if you have zero interest in mushrooms as a dietary heath supplement it's really a fascinating film and well worth the time. This guy basically self-taught himself from basic curiosity and discovered enough amazing things about mushrooms that he taught himself to find and to cultivate mushrooms and specifically formulated a mushroom supplement for his mother who was dying at the time with stage four breast cancer, and after using his mushroom med the large tumor had disappeared, not just remission, but gone. Cured. Watch the film.

At my Wife's urging, I take this and four other formulations daily. Can't actually tell yet if I'm benefitting but I'm sure it's not doing anything bad.

Disclaimer: not a paid endorsement, not any kind of sales pitch.

http://hostdefense.com

Motion is lotion; keep haulin'.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Methotrexate
    I would be interested in your experience with this . I just started taking it weekly in conjunction with Krystexxa for severe gout . So far it has not been kind to me

I've no direct personal experience of this immunosupressant - but a couple of the wife's cousins who are sadly afflicted with arthritis wish they had started taking it much much earlier.

My personal experience is with Cyclosporin, mycophenolate and azathioprine - two out of the three worked well - I remain horrified that it took sixty years to find what were extant medications - it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Some people find the New Zealand green lipped mussel extract helpful for osteo arthritis, https://www.versusarthritis.org/abou...lipped-mussel/

farming and processing these has become a significant industry here, the product is quite widely available from health supplement outlets.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.