Thread: Thank you EBay!

Default Thank you EBay!

During last weekís adventure being towed home (another thread somewhere), the towboat tried to turn me too fast, not realizing how heavy Snoose is. The result is that the port bow chock went 50í in the air and came to rest at the bottom of Dalco Passage. As these chocks are probably 75 years old, I didnít think there was a chance in hell of finding a replacement, let alone a port side one. After extensive googling, Iím convinced this is the only one on the planet, at least above water. Iíll have to do a bit of rail repair to get it anchored properly, but thatís easy.

8D067EED-B971-4D09-ADB6-04CF36547316.jpg

CD8AB03C-FB04-4AD2-95FB-965A1A50EC1E.jpg

2BFEA885-53F6-43F2-97B7-4BF166A810B7.jpg

Default Re: Thank you EBay!

Score!

Probably sold by someone who owns a heavy wooden boat that was turned too sharply to starboard and as a result the stb. chock was torn off. Fortunately for you, that guy couldn't find a replacement so bought a new set and sold the port chock. It's a small world.

Jeff

You obviously overlooked Jim Ledger's above-deck thread about his catboat build, where he goes into detail about casting his own fittings.
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Probably sold by someone who owns a heavy wooden boat that was turned too sharply to starboard and as a result the stb. chock was torn off. Fortunately for you, that guy couldn't find a replacement so bought a new set and sold the port chock. It's a small world.

Jeff
    Actually the seller had it listed as a “home decor” item.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    You obviously overlooked Jim Ledger's above-deck thread about his catboat build, where he goes into detail about casting his own fittings.
    I was involved with a company that had a cast iron foundry, I know what’s involved. At $49 plus shipping, this chock was a bargain.

What kind of 'search argument' did you use to find it ?

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Many of the mounted chocks I see are just wrong.

Often effectively functioning as turning blocks that can effectively double the load (on the cleat) to the chock. Even at a 45į lead, the load on the chock is 75% of the load on the cleat, which can occasionally be the weight of the (moving) boat, or 1/2mv^2
    Which with two wee screws holding the chock to a rail will never work.

If the line leading through the chock is not a fair lead, the chock would have to be as strong and well mounted as the cleat itself.
    It is often better to avoid the chock altogether in this scenario, and make off directly to the cleat leaving the line free to swing rather than rip the chock from the boat.
    I often lead around the outside of the stem using chafing gear rather than use a poor lead through the chock

From Harkin: https://www.harken.com/en/support/te...of-deflection/
    (Imagine the lead through the sheave as a chock)

2F3B0BC1-5BAF-4E35-B6AA-A6B8DD85D6B4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    What kind of 'search argument' did you use to find it ?

Rick
    Bow Chock. He knew what it was, just didn’t think anyone would use it for that. Also I got some really interesting results when spell check kept changing it to bow chick.

Properly mounting bow chicks is a whole nother thing...

Jake, I agree on the lead angle. Theses are skene chocks with a pretty good angle forward and would usually be okay with a bridle if the tow was from straight ahead. But this guy took off sharply to starboard putting huge stress on the port chock. I was hollering at him but to no avail. We’re lucky that chock didn’t come through the pilot house window.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Bow Chock. He knew what it was, just didn’t think anyone would use it for that. Also I got some really interesting results when spell check kept changing it to bow chick.
    They are more than $49. A lot more.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!