Thread: Quote of the day.

Default Quote of the day.

CNN: "What do you say to those families that say, 'listen, we can't afford to pay $4.85 a gallon for months, if not years?"

BIDEN ADVISOR BRIAN DEESE: "This is about the future of the Liberal World Order and we have to stand firm."

Default Re: Quote of the day.

I'd say

"We're trying to tax all of those ultra billionaires who don't pay any taxes to help with all of your we can't afford issues, but you keep electing congress people who won't let us even try. Boy is it frustrating!"
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    CNN: "What do you say to those families that say, 'listen, we can't afford to pay $4.85 a gallon for months, if not years?’"

BIDEN ADVISOR BRIAN DEESE: "This is about the future of the Liberal World Order and we have to stand firm."
    Giving money to the poor - however it is done, causes inflation. I guess we could give the poor money to not go to work and save on their gas costs and by reducing demand for gas lower the price of gas.

But Biden's advisor is either ill-informed or the Democrats have the wrong goal.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Giving money to the poor - however it is done, causes inflation. I guess we could give the poor money to not go to work and save on their gas costs and by reducing demand for gas lower the price of gas.

But Biden's advisor is either ill-informed or the Democrats have the wrong goal.
    How about taking money from the rich?
    What does that cause?

Tell them to sell their $70,000 full-size pickup or SUV. BTW, vegetable oil is still free.

According to World101, an online course from the Council on Foreign Relations think tank, the "liberal world order" refers to a "series of international organizations and agreements to promote global cooperation on issues including security, trade, health, and monetary policy." It was created by world leaders in the wake of World War II in an effort to prevent the world from devolving into such violence again, and the U.S. has "championed" the system since, according to the explainer.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

And we still have cheaper gas prices than most of the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    How about taking money from the rich?
    What does that cause?
    Regardless of where the money comes from, the poor spend their money. That increased spending for goods and services that both the poor and the middle class want causes inflation.

I have been in favor of taking money from the rich for a long time. By the rich I mean those who have more than twice the median income - with a definition of income that includes unrealized gains and whatever other ideas are necessary to make the definition meaningful.
    Life is complex.

Unfortunately even the poor have to eat, and maybe drive to work.
    They could save some money by sleeping in their cars

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    According to World101, an online course from the Council on Foreign Relations think tank, the "liberal world order" refers to a "series of international organizations and agreements to promote global cooperation on issues including security, trade, health, and monetary policy." It was created by world leaders in the wake of World War II in an effort to prevent the world from devolving into such violence again, and the U.S. has "championed" the system since, according to the explainer.
    But what does that have to do with the price of gas in the US?
    Life is complex.

Hey Alvin, no comment about TFG wanting armed supporters to bypass security checks then expecting them to go armed from his losers rally to the Capitol?

$4.85!!! Bobbys, if you were a bit better informed you would know that you still pay very little for your gas/benzine/petrol. It's 1.94 to the litre near me, 3.785 litres to the US gallon, $1.21 to the pound, = $7.71 per US gallon. Perhaps one of the reasons why American cars sell very poorly in the rest of the world is that they're so expensive to run.
    Dwedais "Gwirion", nid "Twp"

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Unfortunately even the poor have to eat, and maybe drive to work.
    They could save some money by sleeping in their cars
    If my wife were to die sometime soon, one of my dreams is to travel and sleep in my car. Not quite the same motivation. Certainly not the same situation.

But paying the poor enough so they do not have to work, would give them the option of moving where they could afford to eat and sleep.

I think the concerns I express for the poor are similar to the concerns parents have for their kids.
    Last edited by Too Little Time; 07-02-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post

I think the concerns I express for the poor are similar to the concerns parents have for their kids.
    I'm inclined to agree with you, but not for the same reasons

6FDF18C8-725C-45B1-BAFD-0296C73131D7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
    $4.85!!! Bobbys, if you were a bit better informed you would know that you still pay very little for your gas/benzine/petrol. It's 1.94 to the litre near me, 3.785 litres to the US gallon, $1.21 to the pound, = $7.71 per US gallon. Perhaps one of the reasons why American cars sell very poorly in the rest of the world is that they're so expensive to run.
    bs really doesn’t understand what he c&pastes. He does not care one whit about the content.

Let's start by establishing a clear report of what was said. This is from Newsweek:

Biden was asked by a reporter: "How long is it fair to expect American drivers and drivers around the world to pay that premium for this war?"

The president replied: "As long as it takes," insisting that Russia could not be allowed to win the conflict against Ukraine and then potentially menace other nations.

When asked a similar question, Deese spoke about American families holding firm. The clip of that moment has gone viral on social media and has been viewed more than 800,000 times on Twitter.

"What do you say to the families that say 'we can't afford to pay $4.85 a gallon for months, if not years, this is not sustainable," Blackwell asked.

"What you heard from the president today was a clear articulation of the stakes," Deese replied.

"This is about the future of the liberal world order and we have to stand firm.

"But at the same time, what I would say to that family and Americans across the country is you have a president and an administration that is going to do everything in its power to blunt those price increases and bring those prices down."
    https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-l...eo-cnn-1720878

So, Biden's adviser is an idiot, and he gave a mostly correct response with one monumentally stupid and entirely unnecessary line. He should be gone.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
    ^ This.
    Several European countries pay north of $7 or $8 per gallon, including Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. At the top of the expensive list is Hong Kong, where prices per gallon are higher than $11, followed by Norway at more than $10.
    "European energy prices of all kinds are higher than what consumers in the U.S. pay," Peter McNally, Global Sector Lead for Industrials, Materials and Energy at Third Bridge told Yahoo Finance. "This was the case before 2022, but it has only become wider since."
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ga...181512839.html

To (mis) quote a UK Prime Minister. "You have never had it so good".
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

CNN: "What do you say to those families that say, 'listen, we can't afford to pay $4.85 a gallon for months, if not years?"

You left this part out>>>"But at the same time, what I would say to that family and Americans across the country is you have a president and an administration that is going to do everything in its power to blunt those price increases and bring those prices down."

The first part about liberal world order, the op may not understand what that means. There is a war going on. Perhaps he would rather have a world order composed of dictators, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post

The first part about liberal world order, the op may not understand what that means. There is a war going on. Perhaps he would rather have a world order composed of dictators, most likely.
    It is arguably the worst phrase that he could have formed. I bet any one of us could give you 100 different ways to say what needed to be said that are better than that.

Sadly, that is the problem. It's perception, not substance.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    You left this part out>>>"But at the same time, what I would say to that family and Americans across the country is you have a president and an administration that is going to do everything in its power to blunt those price increases and bring those prices down."

Entirely possible. But it makes no nevermind. For a certain segment of the RWW, it's all about the 'gotcha'. Having no real arguments, they'll seize on any opportunity - legitimate and fair or not - to make the other side look bad.

My experience is that bbbbbbbys shows very little grasp of the actual issues - he just parrots the latest RWW talking points. Usually without attribution.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

oh hell guys the advisor also left out the fact that the major oil exporters have little to no spare production capacity, that after peace breaks out, supply chain disruptions are eliminated, other sanctions against Venezuela and Iran are eliminated, and US tight oil manufacturers get the labor and materials they need …. we are still at a place where global demand is stronger than global supply and whiny Americans who have gotten a slight subsidy through undertaxed fuel for over 20 effing years have to suck it up and somehow survive with wimpy 4 cylinder passenger vehicles
    that get 30-40 mpg like the rest of the world.
    But Biden won’t say that because the average American can’t believe finite resource means finite for them.

Hey Alvin, no comment about TFG wanting armed supporters to bypass security checks then expecting them to go armed from his losers rally to the Capitol?

At my local store 91 grade petrol is $2.30 a litre. I have no idea how much premium is per litre.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

I drive a diesel Smart car. Diesel is $2.59 a litre in Vancouver BC Canada which is ridiculous as it needs less processing. About $9.80 a gallon. I think regular gas is around $8.75/gallon
    $4.85 per gallon. Whoopee do!

CNN: "What do you say to those families that say, 'listen, we can't afford to pay $4.85 a gallon for months, if not years?’"

What do you say ?

1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment