Thread: Stage 2 Roskilde - Nyborg

Default Stage 2 Roskilde - Nyborg

windy big bridge near the end

Default Re: Stage 2 Roskilde - Nyborg

I have been to Nyborg. Seen the bridge. Really cool engineering project.

Wish I was there right now, as I have only been in winter and it was brutally cold with the wind howling.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

And it finished with a big boys sprint.

scary and impressive

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...t-takes-yellow

Fabio Jakobsen, who in August 2020 was in an induced coma after suffering horrendous injuries in the Tour of Poland, won stage two of the 2022 Tour de France ahead of Wout van Aert of Jumbo-Visma, who moved into the leader’s yellow jersey for the first time in his career.

“This is what we train for, this is why we race,” Jakobsen said, after his success for Quick-Step in the stage from Roskilde to Nyborg. “A stage of the Tour de France is what I’ve been dreaming about for 15 years.”

The scale of Jakobsen’s comeback to the top of cycling cannot be overstated. Selected ahead of the multiple stage winner Mark Cavendish, it was his first Tour stage success and completed the journey from intensive care to Tour de France podium.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/fabi...its-aftermath/

Fabio Jakobsen’s crash in the Tour of Poland was one of the biggest news stories of this curtailed cycling season. The former Dutch national champion spoke for the first time after that fateful day in Katowice in an interview with Thijs Zonneveld in Dutch newspaper AD.

“I’d rather ride three Vueltas a España in a row than ever spend one more day in the Intensive Care Unit,” Jakobsen said.

The Tour of Poland was one of the very first races after the COVID-break and the peloton was eager to race again. The stage finish into Katowice on day two was a familiar one to Jakobsen too. He remembers the day well.

“I knew that local lap because I had ridden there the year before,” Jakobsen says. “The finish was at the same place, downhill. I remember feeling well, greeting my friend Julius van den Berg who was in the breakaway on the local lap. I remember being on the wheel of Davide Ballerini and Florian Sénéchal. After that it’s black and I don’t remember anything anymore.”

Dylan Groenewegen and Fabio Jakobsen battle it out in that last dash to the finish. Their speed was over 80 kilometres an hour when Groenewegen deviates, hits Jakobsen and sends him into the barriers. The barriers fall apart as Jakobsen hits them. He lands on a UCI commissaire who broke many ribs but softened the blow for Jakobsen.

“If that man would not have been there, I would have hit the finish gantry head-first and would not be sitting here,” Jakobsen says. His teammate Florian Sénéchal was one of the first ones to see Jakobsen. The French rider lifts Jakoben’s head, freeing his airways.

“Other people were frozen on the scene,” Jakobsen explained. “Florian saw the panic in my eyes. There was so much blood. In a reflex, he lifted my head so the blood could get out of my nose and mouth. He says I was more at ease after that but he doesn’t remember anything more. On the tv images you can see him crying and for days he wondered if he did the right thing lifting my head, not [potentially] making it worse by causing spinal cord damage. It was a choice between two evils and he made the right choice.”
    Last edited by LeeG; 07-02-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Is it written in the rules that day two should have numerous crashes and at least one major sprinter will abandon as a result.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Lanterne Rouge commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZQc7wDSKmg

I alway wonder that there are nit more crashes in those crowd squeezed peletons.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I alway wonder that there are nit more crashes in those crowd squeezed peletons.
    Yeah it’s crazy. These guys are putting out insane efforts in tight quarters.

I keep seeing this thread title as 'Stage 2 rockslide.'

But I'm not dixlesic.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    The bridge crossing was expected to have cross winds, and high speed echelons. More dangerous riding. And more chance for serious crashes.

Typical of bike race design. A good reason for not racing.
    Life is complex.