Thread: Bilge cleaner

Default Bilge cleaner

In case you forgot where you posted.

C548CF81-FC56-4C90-8646-74055E6D2BD1.jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Bilge cleaner

When do we see the photo when it is cleaner?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That bilge is way too clean to describe this place.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Some places are meant not to be clean.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    In case you forgot where you posted.

C548CF81-FC56-4C90-8646-74055E6D2BD1.jpg
    Is that garboard rabbeted into the ballast casting?

They are rabbited but to a level unusually good even for the best yachts known for such things. The build of this boat is exquisite. None of the boards have been replaced and are in such unbelievably good condition for 55 year old planked boat. Moreover nearly all the planks run the entire length section, very, very little scarfing. Where applicable all the planks are singles that run bow to stern in the best mahogany. Priceless really. There is only bottom paint that covers her and it seems nothing likes to eat on her. She is bone dry sitting in the slip and take a just a little water from the deck. The icebox drains into her which is a drag but not that bad all things being even.

it is a real pleasure to see her construction. I am so torn working on her as I know I could never have a better wooden boat than this and yet I have to sell her as a working man can only have one mistress at a time. Had I had the money to repower her I would and sell the other Mull. This boat - Lively Lady maybe the best example of a neoclassical wooden racer of the 1960s and early 70s. She is maybe Gary Mulls finest designs and winner of numerous world class races. The likes of crew of hers grew her to become America Cup captains and sailors. She is one of those one in a generation boats inspiring folks like Sparkman and Stephen's to design a new class of boat that could compete with her in the CCA later becoming known as the IOR class.

C2E9F35C-2738-4460-93D2-9A14BC91AB6B.jpg

worst of all she will be sold for a song and a promise by the new owner to be a solid caretaker.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-03-2022 at 11:11 AM.

She originally had a Palmer in her but that rusted away. Removed that. She could easily be repowered with electric motor with all the bronze in a box in my garage or better yet a pod drive with a battery pack.

FA700732-2B9D-4E43-8A4C-F6230222E532.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-03-2022 at 12:23 AM.

Wish I were younger, Ted. I'd grab her up in a hot second. As it is all I can do is offer you an old 2GM-15 Yanmar from my J-30. It's sitting there ignored. Probably needs a good flush out as it's been sitting for ten years, but I like the electric idea better!

Hugh - That is a very kind offer. I know you would have really enjoyed her. If you ever come down the coast to the Bay area - i would be more than happy to take you out for a sail and show you what you are missing. The electric pod drive would be perfect. I still hope a friend or a person who would be a good friend come get her. I gave myself another month and each day I am putting several hours into her. The next owner/caretaker will be in very fortunate do to all the love and commitment I am putting in, the new sails and the other things she comes with. I have no doubt that it is this boat can be set up as one's perfect daysailer/racer that makes shorthanding simple with a design still capable of doing well no matter where she goes and winning history and spirit that sets her apart.