Thread: Class Globe 5.80 DIY kit boat and race thoughts

Default Class Globe 5.80 DIY kit boat and race thoughts

Class Globe 5.80 is kind of a new-ish thing I've recently learned about and haven't seen mentioned here. A search turned up nothing. There's also another guy trying to get a 6.50 (Wave Rover 6.50) class going. The Class Globe 5.80 is pretty specific and most boats are spec built from a wooden CNC kit. A builder can build directly from the plans if they so chose, but it's a hell of a lot of cutting for an origami design. I like the idea because it comes down to seamanship and not all about the better boat. However, the build price is around $30,000 + US. I know as far as 19 foot race boats go, that's cheap. There is builder's help through the forum and the Facebook group. There's also a video showing and detailing how the boat is built. I believe there's around 50 boats that are done and sailing, and with just over 100 plan sets sold so far. Those numbers are surely changing. There have been several races so far with many boats involved. The one thing that puts me off is acquiring the plans. There's a whole back and forth thing with paper work between the builder, Don McIntyer the Class Globe inventor, and the boat designer Janusz Maderski, to get the build plans in hand. That seems cumbersome and unnecessary. Anyway, here's the website. https://www.classglobe580.com/ What are your thoughts?
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Default Re: Class Globe 5.80 DIY kit boat and race thoughts

Looks like hard work.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

And that's just sailing it 40 years ago I'd have been all over it, though. Must be getting old!

Yeh looks like a bumpy ride. And how’d you be two-up, kill each other inside a week

Somehow small boats seem better suited to odd numbers of crew.
    I guess, if you are going to sail it offshore, you'll be really careful with the building.

Looks like it moves along pretty well.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I think the designer is competent, some in the sail racing community have a negative opinion of Mr. McIntyre. I have no opinion on him myself.
    As a fast compact cruiser, the boat would be pretty nifty if it was 10% longer but then it would be a different boat...

With regard to the Class Globe 5.80, junk rigged boats attract wierdos. Not all junk sailors are goofy, but the odds are what they are.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

They’ve been ocean racing those Setka boats for a while. They’re neat, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    I think the designer is competent, some in the sail racing community have a negative opinion of Mr. McIntyre. I have no opinion on him myself.
    As a fast compact cruiser, the boat would be pretty nifty if it was 10% longer but then it would be a different boat...

With regard to the Class Globe 5.80, junk rigged boats attract wierdos. Not all junk sailors are goofy, but the odds are what they are.
    It's not junk rigged, it's either masthead or fractional.

I've also heard there's a few that have a conflict with Don McIntyre. I've never heard of him before seeing the Class Globe 5.80 stuff.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Yeh looks like a bumpy ride. And how’d you be two-up, kill each other inside a week
    Most people do the long distance races solo. Only day races are there more than one crew.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Somehow small boats seem better suited to odd numbers of crew.
    I guess, if you are going to sail it offshore, you'll be really careful with the building.
    Building as laid out and the specs even tell you exactly what weight cloth and how many layers along with where and how to lay them on/in. It really is like building a life size model. There's very little that the rules and regs for the boat allow for modifications. That's one big turn off for me. They even spec colors for the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    They’ve been ocean racing those Setka boats for a while. They’re neat, I think.
    I'm not a racer but I'll check those out. This 5.80 just kind of seems like a starting point for some people with limited funds and experience. I'm limited in both ways.

The Setkas raced something called the SPA, I think? Raced them across the Atlantic. They’re sweet little boats, and I’d love to build and own one.

This new class is just an evolution, as I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The Setkas raced something called the SPA, I think? Raced them across the Atlantic. They’re sweet little boats, and I’d love to build and own one.

This new class is just an evolution, as I understand.
    Yeah, I was just looking at them. I agree with you, a new evolution to an older class.

The boat looks kinda painful, a bit slow for a new development, a very tight cabin and shows it likes to hobby horse. I can see the build working off France though.

I would rather go with something like a i550 which has a coffin for a cabin but could work for long distance racing. a similar stitch and glue planing build would take you only a couple of months to complete. In the end, faster is more fun if you are seeking a race boat.
    Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.22.50 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-17-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Building as laid out and the specs even tell you exactly what weight cloth and how many layers along with where and how to lay them on/in. It really is like building a life size model. There's very little that the rules and regs for the boat allow for modifications. That's one big turn off for me. They even spec colors for the boat.
    That's kind of the point for a "class" boat, isn't it? Even the El Toro plans I have kicking around here someplace talk about needing to have the boat measured if you want to go racing.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

http://setkaatlantyk.blogspot.com/2013/

Found the blog of the OG. Loads of nice pictures of the boat and trip. They still seem cool, to me. These older jobs, I mean. Of course, I’m no great sailer.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    It's not junk rigged, it's either masthead or fractional.

I've also heard there's a few that have a conflict with Don McIntyre. I've never heard of him before seeing the Class Globe 5.80 stuff.
    Yeah, I see that. Somewhere I got my wires crossed, thanks for catching it.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous;[URL="tel:6696340"
    6696340[/URL]]Yeah, I see that. Somewhere I got my wires crossed, thanks for catching it.
    There has been recent interest online in a new boat design with a similar numeric name in the same size range that is junk rigged, The Wave Rover 650 https://www.etsy.com/listing/1065483706/wave-rover-650-study-plans, maybe that was what you were thinking of?
    Dreaming of sailing in Iowa, building a Carnell Nutmeg.

Yes, that's the one!
    ♦ George Orwell

I am building a Setka A at the moment in the azores, I will be putting a build thread up shortlyI have both the plans for the class globe 580 and the setka and have decided to build the Setka for various reasons, one being that there have been 16 transatlantic crossings in the Setka, some have done double transats - sailed back from the Caribbean
    Last edited by tunznath; 07-24-2022 at 07:01 PM.