Thread: AOC: "Yeah, And?"

Default AOC: "Yeah, And?"

[IMc - The racist right Republicans would condemn AOC for assisting people with how to comply with the law.]

'Yeah, And?': Ocasio-Cortez Embraces GOP Freakout Over Helping Women Skirt Abortion Bans
    "Republicans are mad because I am sharing this information," said Rep. Ocasio-Cortez. "Too bad!"

JULIA CONLEY
    June 28, 2022

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Monday shrugged off condemnation from Republicans over the guidance she's offered to her millions of social media followers in recent days, explaining how to procure abortion pills and protect their digital privacy in the event that they need abortion care.

Former Washington Examiner reporter John Gage, who praised the U.S. Supreme Court ruling which overturned Roe v. Wade and stripped the right to abortion care from millions of Americans last week, posted on his Twitter account Monday that the New York Democrat was sharing information "about how people can skirt abortion bans."

Gage's post led several abortion rights supporters to thank him for the "signal boost," while Ocasio-Cortez simply replied, "Yeah, and...?"

"Republicans are mad because I am sharing this information," she added in a later tweet. "Too bad! Freedom of choice is an inalienable right. Your bodily autonomy belongs to you."

On her Instagram account, Ocasio-Cortez shared several posts—now permanently saved in a highlight reel for anyone who needs information about abortion access and rights—explaining pregnant people's options now that the Supreme Court has overruled Roe.

In reply to a supporter from Texas who asked about obtaining mifepristone and misoprostol—the pills prescribed for a medication abortion—the congresswoman posted a link to PlanCPills.org.

"Mifepristone and misoprostol (otherwise known as 'Plan C') is a safe, effective way to end a pregnancy under 11 weeks," said Ocasio-Cortez. "Make sure you get them from a reputable provider, which you can find at places like PlanCPills.org."

Ocasio-Cortez also recommended AidAccess.org, a service started by Dutch physician Dr. Rebecca Gomperts, where users can obtain abortion pills to have on hand in case they need abortion care.

"I encourage everyone to explore the options best for them," said Ocasio-Cortez. "If you live in a state where your rights are being violated, Plan C may be something you want to consider... In states that criminalize pregnant people for abortions, educate yourself about best practices and precautions for doing this."

Attorney General Merrick Garland last week said the Biden administration will combat attempts by Republicans to restrict access to medication abortion, which accounted for more than half of abortions in the U.S. in 2020.

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem said Sunday she would seek to bar women from obtaining abortion pills via mail, and more than a dozen states restrict the use of telemedicine to prescribe the pills.

Ocasio-Cortez also warned her supporters that "privacy and surveillance concerns will be a major concern in a post-Roe world," advising them to delete phone apps which track their periods if they live in states that have abortion bans and to plan for how to safely find abortion care online if they need it.

"Steps like using a [virtual private network], throwaway email addresses, private browsers like DuckDuckGo, and prepaid debit cards are all important steps you can take to stay safe," the congresswoman wrote, directing her followers to a video about "abortion OPSEC," or operational security, by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Ocasio's guidance came as Vice reported on a menstrual tracking app called Stardust, which states that it will comply with law enforcement agencies that request users' health data. As Common Dreams reported last month, a location data company called SafeGraph was forced to stop its sale of location information about its users after Vice reported that it had sold data about people visiting abortion clinics.

With companies regularly collecting health and location data about their users, Ocasio-Cortez said, "it is possible that states who criminalize people who get abortions may begin to take advantage of digital surveillance to track people."

"You can protect yourself," she added.

Our work is licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). Feel free to republish and share widely.

Default Re: AOC: "Yeah, And?"

I'm not her biggest fan, but I like this and I like the way she handled it! Good for her!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I'm not her biggest fan, but I like this and I like the way she handled it! Good for her!
    She came out of 'nowhere' and suddenly found herself in the House. She's smart, and she learns.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

yes. this is effective. not a display of impotence. something that can actually be accomplished.

an act of civil disobedience; defying unjust law from a moral position.

Migod the deplorables are miffed that people aren’t rolling over and playing dead from the SC decision. Idjits.

Default Deleting Your Period Tracker Won’t Protect You

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Ocasio's guidance came as Vice reported on a menstrual tracking app called Stardust, which states that it will comply with law enforcement agencies that request users' health data. As Common Dreams reported last month, a location data company called SafeGraph was forced to stop its sale of location information about its users after Vice reported that it had sold data about people visiting abortion clinics.

With companies regularly collecting health and location data about their users, Ocasio-Cortez said, "it is possible that states who criminalize people who get abortions may begin to take advantage of digital surveillance to track people."
    Careful with that defiance, Maxine ("We're going to defy the Supreme Court!" -- Maxine Waters, D-Calif) (New Pink Floyd Song)

Here's a story about period tracking. The headline is bogus. Calling the fire department may stop your house burning down. But "may not" means "it may".

Deleting Your Period Tracker Won’t Protect You

Tweets telling women to do that went viral after Roe v. Wade was overturned, but experts say other digital data are more likely to reveal an illegal abortion.

These apps allow users to record the dates of their menstrual cycles and get predictions about when they are ovulating and most fertile. The apps can also serve as digital diaries for sexual activity, birth control methods and conception attempts.

“We should start with the types of data that have already been used to criminalize people,” said Ms. Conti-Cook, who previously worked in a public defenders’ office in New York. “The text to your sister that says, ‘Expletive, I’m pregnant.’ The search history for abortion pills or the visitation of websites that have information about abortion.”
    A potential ocean of criminal prosecutions, which can have a surprising reach across state lines. Don't find out the hard way.

"Can you send me a burner phone so we can set up my trip to California?"

"OK."

"And after we get back, and you help me recuperate, we'll just tell everyone you're just visiting."

Caution. You should consider that maybe you're never going to Texas again. Also be sure that your state has a firm non-extradition policy.

How could a state abortion ban not mean that abortion is murder under state law?
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

“Condemnations from Republicans” is a badge of honor.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I find it amazing how many believe the GOP is for LESS government in our lives as it is putting MORE government in our lives.

What they do does not match what they say.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I though 'plan C' was code for Canada. I like AOC. You guys should make her your president.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I though 'plan C' was code for Canada. I like AOC. You guys should make her your president.
    in about 12 years dog willing and the creek dont rise.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Good for AOC.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I am appalled by Dobbs.
    I am in favor of whatever method can help women.
    Except, I asked a physician colleague if medication abortion pills will ever be an over-the-counter drug.
    Her answer was no, because in some cases like fallopian or ectopic pregnancy, taking these drugs could injure or kill the mother.
    So, I hope there’s a way to get these pills safely to women with appropriate medical care.
    AOC and others should communicate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post

Ocasio-Cortez also recommended AidAccess.org, a service started by Dutch physician Dr. Rebecca Gomperts, where users can obtain abortion pills to have on hand in case they need abortion care.
    The Dutch/Austrian organization Aid Acces reported that the number of help mails has grown from 600 till 4000 a day since the SC cancelled Roe vs Wade.
    The organization can legally supply US woman with the necessary subscriptions for the medication, because the company owner/physician operates under a Dutch license and the company is based in Austria, in both countries abortion is legal.

source ( in Dutch): https://www.nu.nl/economie/6209595/a...-in-de-vs.html
    Last edited by dutchpp; 06-30-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    in about 12 years dog willing and the creek dont rise.
    I'd guess the trick is to be pragmatic enough over the years to gain enough support without selling out all the virtues that make her who she is today.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Default Re: Deleting Your Period Tracker Won’t Protect You

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Careful with that defiance, Maxine ("We're going to defy the Supreme Court!" -- Maxine Waters, D-Calif) (New Pink Floyd Song)
    Can someone explain to me how Waters keeps getting reelected? What has she accomplished? She shows up at every rally, inflames everyone, and then what? It seems to me her time has passed if it was ever here.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I find it amazing how many believe the GOP is for LESS government in our lives as it is putting MORE government in our lives.

The GOP wants less government on corporations, but regulating people keeps them in line.

Default Re: Deleting Your Period Tracker Won’t Protect You

Can someone explain to me how Waters keeps getting reelected? What has she accomplished? She shows up at every rally, inflames everyone, and then what? It seems to me her time has passed if it was ever here.
    You can say that about any member of a party that hasn't enough votes to pass something into law.

The GOP wants less government on corporations, but regulating people keeps them in line.
    First of all: Republican is rapidly becoming synonymous with hypocrite. However, it has been noted elsewhere on this site that the new conservatism legal template is for laws that a) protect a class of people without binding them, and b) bind a separate class of people without protecting them.

In other words, "Don't tell me what to do--I'm busy telling other people what to do."
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I am in favor of whatever method can help women.
    Long way from spending a night in jail for disturbing the peace at a demonstration to held without bail for conspiracy to commit murder.

One could become a drug dealer, if one had a source of product.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Religion under the guise of "government"

AOC dispensing medical advice.

What could go wrong.?

bobbys can read and therefore he or she knows that AOC is not giving medical advice but is referring people to those who can provide advice and services.

but he can't pass on an opportunity to denigrate women

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    AOC dispensing medical advice.

What could go wrong.?
    Tell us

1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment