Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayer and sports

Default Prayer and sports

Every time this subject comes up, I find myself with two questions.

Does praying help the team win more games and/or suffer fewer injuries? If not, what's the point?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Default Re: Prayer and sports

Injuries could be prevented by just competing in pray-offs instead of play-offs. Two teams line up and start praying until God decides who he likes best.

Monumental nonsense. You might as well wish upon a star.

Note that religious athletes like Russell Wilson, the ex-Seahawks quarterback, are quick to praise their deity concept when things go well, but are mum about the whole thing when things go bad.
    Last edited by Gerarddm; 07-02-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Monumental nonsense. You might as well wish upon a star.

Note that religious athletes like Russell Wilson, the ex-Seahawks quarterback, are quick to praise their deity cioncept when things go well, but are mum about the whole thing when things go bad.
    I've seen BB players thank God when they hit a homer, but never blame him when they strike out. Pretty good gig.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I've seen BB players thank God when they hit a homer, but never blame him when they strike out. Pretty good gig.
    Not really.

Someone gives us a gift, we thank them, yes?

Someone does not give us a gift, what do you suggest be done?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Prayer is complicated. If anyone is looking for a definitive answer here in the Bilge, they will be disappointed.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Perhaps they should print "Gott mitt uns" on their jerseys.

I am quite happy for people to believe in what they wish. But to think it helps them in their chosen sports, well, 'God is on our side' tends to make the other side look like sinful chancers. They are likely just other sports people, hoping to win.

There is the school of though that prayer is aught but a form of meditation. Invoking an attitude or spirit via incantations isn’t that odd of a practice, really, no matter where the words are aimed.

The end result is a self programming of our own minds and spirits.

But, I’m sure there is a school that believes prayer is talking to an old dude in a robe on a cloud, too.

Either way, this is the least offensive display of religion I can imagine; a person dealing with their own spiritual life in their own way is no concern of mine.

Pray all you want; just don’t expect me to have the same beliefs, and don’t consider me less than for having my own beliefs.

It seems that all the Jesus nuts republicans love to jump to the republican conservative bandwagon and only look at amendments that mean something to them. Funny how it’s almost like there is only the 2nd amendment but everyone seems to forget about the FIRST AMENDMENT that says and I quote

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I wonder the reaction of a Muslim at the fifty yard line spread out his prayer rug and kneeled facing Mecca to pray?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I wonder the reaction of a Muslim at the fifty yard line spread out his prayer rug and kneeled facing Mecca to pray?
    Iím not a Muslim, but my very good friend sent some zam zam water from his second Haj, so I know at least one real deal guy fairly well.
    I know he is serious and devout about his prayer, and I doubt he would ever be so frivolous as to profane the act for a sports game.

And, heís one of the best human beings Iíve ever met; I love him like a brother. I have MANY devoutly religious friends who actively LIVE the tenets of their preferred beliefs, and they all prove to me time and again that the principles, well applied to a human life and society, are sound.

It is, as with all things, the humans that are the weak link in the systemÖ

Does praying help the team win more games and/or suffer fewer injuries? If not, what's the point?
    Considering that the prayer was after the game, it seems to be prayer of thanks.

Perhaps it would be better to thank those more closely involved in preparing for the game. But I acknowledge that everyone has the right to thank those they want to.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Injuries could be prevented by just competing in pray-offs instead of play-offs. Two teams line up and start praying until God decides who he likes best.

There have been sports pray offs in China for years.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

You are obviously prayer illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    There have been sports pray offs in China for years.

Kevin

I wasn’t going to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Which books does your god read?

The guy can pray in a bucket of Gatorade for all I care. But when doing so causes peer pressure on those who don’t want to, it’s a problem.

I was a fan of the 62 mets, found out praying did not do much. In fact i pray for no sports teams anymore. Im pretty sure it has something to do with flunking alter boy school., yeah, you would think thr big guy would have let that go by now.

When the coach (the guy who decides who plays) is leading the prayer he is going to notice!
    I would ask the same question as I did in High School (catholic school ) is it even moral to pray to defeat the other High school (another catholic high school)?
    As a catholic I was taught a prayer for every occasion, but somewhere I picked the idea there can only be two moral prayers that can be spoken. 1. To understand god's will and 2. The strength to carry it out.
    Catholics like to pray for any and everything, and they really don't like a high school kid trying to beat them at their own game. By the next year I was in the public school system.

Why is the world such a mess? God's believers spend all their time asking him to fix football games.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I was a fan of the 62 mets, found out praying did not do much. In fact i pray for no sports teams anymore. Im pretty sure it has something to do with flunking alter boy school., yeah, you would think thr big guy would have let that go by now.
    Were you a fan of the insurrection on January 6th ?

1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

"It is, as with all things, the humans that are the weak link in the system…"

You got that corect Rob………...

Not really.

Kevin
    Striking out is simply not getting a gift? OH no, then the pitcher gets to thank God.

I thought God doesn't get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Prayer is complicated. If anyone is looking for a definitive answer here in the Bilge, they will be disappointed.
    I don't care if people pray, as long as they don't try to force me to. I've often been at affairs where, prior to eating, someone decides to bless the meal. A few have the courtesy to ask if anyone minds. I appreciate being asked. I don't object.

I am taken a bit aback, however, when not asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Considering that the prayer was after the game, it seems to be prayer of thanks.

Perhaps it would be better to thank those more closely involved in preparing for the game. But I acknowledge that everyone has the right to thank those they want to.
    Not long ago, the issue was prayer before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Is that even possible? When people pray, don't they ask for something?

Strange thing, this religious stuff. On one hand, when I ask things such as, "Why does God not protect people inside of house of worship", I am told God never gets involved, which begs the question of why people pray for him to get involved, or thank him for having been involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The guy can pray in a bucket of Gatorade for all I care. But when doing so causes peer pressure on those who don’t want to, it’s a problem.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Please answer Joe's questions:

Were you a fan of the insurrection on January 6th ?

1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

Intercessory prayer was shown to reduce length of fever and hospital stay, but not overall mortality in a hospital study. I am not aware of any studies of its effect, or lack thereof, in athletics. It would be a good study to get your professional profile up. You would get at least 15 minutes of fame, whichever way it came out.

Not really.

Kevin

Sounds like you are giving a non existent deity credit for success. Mentioning all the atrocious things that happen to the unlucky god fearing people around the world seems superfluous at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    There is the school of though that prayer is aught but a form of meditation. Invoking an attitude or spirit via incantations isn’t that odd of a practice, really, no matter where the words are aimed.

The end result is a self programming of our own minds and spirits.

But, I’m sure there is a school that believes prayer is talking to an old dude in a robe on a cloud, too.

Either way, this is the least offensive display of religion I can imagine; a person dealing with their own spiritual life in their own way is no concern of mine.

Pray all you want; just don’t expect me to have the same beliefs, and don’t consider me less than for having my own beliefs.
    Rob, I spent some 12 years ' cruising around the world' (courtesy of my 'Uncle Sam' ), wherever I went, I observed the various religions practiced in the area. You have 'the right of it' in this post, as well as post 12 - thanks for posting them..

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Default Prayer and sports

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
    Sounds like you are giving a non existent deity credit for success. Mentioning all the atrocious things that happen to the unlucky god fearing people around the world seems superfluous at this point.

I am not crediting anybody or any thing. You are moving the goal posts.

The question regarded a single athlete with a belief in god thanking that god for a win but not blaming the god he believes in for a loss.

Now you have moved on to a much broader brush.

Note: whether the deity exists, or has any effect is not as relevant as whether the individual believes it or not. The question regarded individual action and intent.

Kevin

Last edited by Breakaway; 07-02-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    See here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-59622430
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Striking out is simply not getting a gift? OH no, then the pitcher gets to thank God.

I thought God doesn't get involved.

Maybe, she does. If the pitcher believes in a god she may see it that way.

But the question is if she throws a pitch,and a homerun is hit, does she blame the god she prays to and believes in? Some might, but most wont, anymore than most people would not gripe if they did not receive a gift.

These are personal, individual reactions.