Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prayer and sports

Default Re: Prayer and sports

Does a prayer concentrate the mind, or does it mean that concentration is lost and reliance placed on the entity being prayed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
    Sounds like you are giving a non existent deity credit for success. Mentioning all the atrocious things that happen to the unlucky god fearing people around the world seems superfluous at this point.
    I have often heard: "there but for the grace of God go I". One would think believing this would lead one to have compassion and understanding for those who are injured or different. Instead, I see a lot of hate for those who are different.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I am not crediting anybody or any thing. You are moving the goal posts.

The question regarded a single athlete with a belief in god thanking that god for a win but not blaming the god he believes in for a loss.

Now you have moved on to a much broader brush.

Note: whether the deity exists, or has any effect is not as relevant as whether the individual believes it or not. The question regarded individual action and intent.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Here's the problem with that. I've often asked questions along the lines of, "Why does God not keep people safe inside a house of worship?"

The answer comes that He never gets involved in the affairs of man, which begs the question of why people pray. If He never gets involved, why would you think him for winning a game? Why would you ask him to get involved in anything if He never gets involved.

I do believe we, as a people, often overreact. School concerts have become much less enjoyable since they've taken Christmas carols out of them.

One not need be Italian to like pizza, and one need not be religious to enjoy "O Holy Night" or other carols.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Borowitz had a funny take on it, saying that god issued a ruling that said he doesn't pay attention to prayers from sporting events.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Religion is a for profit enterprise.
    Sports are a for profit enterprise.

Any more questions?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Prayer and sports

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Here's the problem with that. I've often asked questions along the lines of, "Why does God not keep people safe inside a house of worship?"

The answer comes that He never gets involved in the affairs of man, which begs the question of why people pray. If He never gets involved, why would you think him for winning a game? Why would you ask him to get involved in anything if He never gets involved.

I do believe we, as a people, often overreact. School concerts have become much less enjoyable since they've taken Christmas carols out of them.

One not need be Italian to like pizza, and one need not be religious to enjoy "O Holy Night" or other carols.

This whole argument comes from the wrong place. As I have stated before, non religious commenting on the actions or intent of religious people is like non sailors commenting on the actions or intent of a sailboat skipper. They are certainly free to comment, but they will mostly be interpreting things incorrectly.

Believers who I have known, and what I was taught in 12 years of religious school, do not pray so that something happens. They will pray for the focus required to do their best or the patience to wait something out or the stamina and energy to go that extra two percent.

They, most, anyway, do not pray for the puck to magically appear in the net or for the opposing fielder to drop a catch.

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If non-sailors don’t want to sail, sailors usually leave them alone.

I pray for rain, unless I am sailing

Like wise with prayer at games why is The National Anthem a feature of them?
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

The exhibitionists who pray in public schools on the sports field are just that. Trying to convert others and a rude display of religious virtue signaling. F um.

for any of you into religiosity,read this>
    "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.”

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    This whole argument comes from the wrong place. As I have stated before, non religious commenting on the actions or intent of religious people is like non sailors commenting on the actions or intent of a sailboat skipper. They are certainly free to comment, but they will mostly be interpreting things incorrectly.

Believers who I have known, and what I was taught in 12 years of religious school, do not pray so that something happens. They will pray for the focus required to do their best or the patience to wait something out or the stamina and energy to go that extra two percent.

They, most, anyway, do not pray for the puck to magically appear in the net or for the opposing fielder to drop a catch.

Kevin

Everyone I know that ever confesses to praying prayed for something, be it different hair, passing an exam, etc......

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Like wise with prayer at games why is The National Anthem a feature of them?
    I think the National Anthem is to tell everyone the game's about to start.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    You are obviously prayer illiterate.
    \

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment