Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biden's Betrayal?

Default Biden's Betrayal?

[IMc - If this is as it appears, Biden could not have done more to ensure catastrophe in November. I can see the reasoning - Better to sacrifice one seat in exchange for McConnell's not blocking everything else. If one could trust McConnell, not bad. But McConnell has proven utterly perfidious. Many will ask how Biden can ask for pro-choice votes after this?]

'Massive Betrayal': Biden Cuts Deal With McConnell to Nominate Anti-Abortion Judge
    "At a time when we are fighting to protect human rights, this is a complete slap in the face."

JAKE JOHNSON
    June 30, 2022

President Joe Biden has reportedly struck a deal with Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to nominate an anti-abortion lawyer to a lifetime federal judgeship in Kentucky, news that comes less than a week after the U.S. Supreme Court ended the constitutional right to abortion.

According to Louisville's Courier-Journal, Biden has agreed to nominate Republican attorney Chad Meredith once there's a federal court vacancy in Kentucky, where abortion was outlawed immediately following the high court's ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization on Friday.

In exchange, McConnell (R-Ky.) has purportedly agreed not to obstruct the president's future judicial nominations—a vow that was met with deep skepticism from outside observers, given the Kentucky Republican's long record of cynical machinations that have yanked the Supreme Court and lower courts to the right for decades to come.

The broad sketch of the agreement between Biden and McConnell was confirmed Wednesday by the office of Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.), who voiced opposition to any deal to elevate Meredith to a lifetime post on the federal judiciary, which McConnell has succeeded in filling with far-right, young, and often badly unqualified judges handpicked by the Federalist Society.

"That last thing we need is another extremist on the bench," Yarmuth said of Meredith, who defended state-level attacks on abortion access as Kentucky's solicitor general.

Kentucky U.S. Senate candidate Charles Booker also slammed the agreement, which he characterized as a "complete slap in the face."

In the eyes of reproductive rights advocates who are working to defend basic freedoms from the Supreme Court and GOP legislatures, the timing of Biden's deal with McConnell—which would've drawn outrage in any case—couldn't have been worse.

"We elected you to PROTECT abortion access, not nominate anti-abortion judges as our rights are stripped away!" tweeted Women's March, which has promised a "Summer of Rage" in response to the Supreme Court's decision striking down Roe v. Wade. The organization has also said it would support primary challenges against Democrats complicit in the right-wing takeover of the nation's judiciary.

Planned Parenthood Alliance Advocates East added that "lifetime appointments to federal courts for people with records like Chad Meredith are unacceptable and the reason we have lost the federal right to abortion."

"We deserve better," the group said.

The outlines of the president's agreement with the Senate's top Republican came as the White House is facing backlash for failing to do everything in its power to defend abortion rights in Republican-led states that are moving aggressively to ban the procedure, throwing pregnant people across the country into chaos and endangering their health and livelihoods.

In an interview that aired earlier this week, Vice President Kamala Harris said the White House is not currently discussing a proposal—backed by prominent progressive lawmakers—to utilize federal property to ensure abortion access for people in GOP-controlled states.

As Reuters reported Wednesday, "the White House is pursuing a more limited set of policy responses while urging voters and Congress to act. The White House's plans include a range of executive actions in the coming days, as well as promising to protect women who cross state lines for abortions and support for medical abortion."

"Biden and officials are concerned that more radical moves would be politically polarizing ahead of November's midterm elections, undermine public trust in institutions like the Supreme Court, or lack strong legal footing," the outlet added.

But with public confidence in the Supreme Court already at an all-time low, critics are warning that the White House's refusal to act boldly to reform the court and shield abortion care could have devastating consequences, allowing Republicans and their allies in the courts to trample more rights as the GOP looks to seize control of the federal government in the upcoming midterms and in 2024.

Denouncing Biden's deal with McConnell as a "massive betrayal," Jezebel's Laura Bassett argued late Wednesday that "if Democrats are going to continue asking people to vote to make up for what we lost on Friday, they are going to need to show us something much different than this."

"Biden is under a lot of pressure to fill the current court vacancies he has with judges who are friendly to reproductive rights. And instead, he is making deals with McConnell to allow more anti-abortion judges into the fray," Bassett wrote. "There is no excuse for it."

Our work is licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). Feel free to republish and share widely.

Default Re: Biden's Betrayal?

If he does this, he should require a public statement without any ambiguity from McConnell. At least then when he breaks his word, as he will, his lies are public.

Personally, I think this is a time to fight and not do deals.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

So if he made a deal, what does he get in return? I could see any benefit to him in the article. Maybe I missed it

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    So if he made a deal, what does he get in return? I could see any benefit to him in the article. Maybe I missed it
    A "promise" not to obstruct future Biden judicial nominees, apparently. Fat chance.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

He pretty much put Clarence Thomas in.

I guess this is that "incremental progress" that centrist Democrats are always banging on about.

And they demand that progressive voters support this guy, while blaming them for the party's every failure. And wonder why they get pushback on that.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    A "promise" not to obstruct future Biden judicial nominees, apparently. Fat chance.

Tom
    I'm with you on that. He can always publicly support a nominee while arranging for a "rogue" senate member to launch an opposition. He would appear to keep his word claiming that he can't control all of his party.

I thought that this kind of quid pro quo was forbidden by elected officials. Was this one of those "read between the lines" situations?

Another circular firing squad...

Ask yourself the question, "Would this be good politics if McConnell were an honorable man who would keep his word?" I think the answer is no, but for just 1 judge it's tough to call.

Now, knowing that McConnell is not an honorable man, I cannot understand Biden's thinking.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I have no faith that McConnell will live up to any bargains in the same way that I have no faith that Putin will honor treaties and agreements that Russia has made.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

'Betrayal' seems too strong, although I do think it's a mistake. It might just be worthwhile IF McConnell lives up to his side of the bargain.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Ask yourself the question, "Would this be good politics if McConnell were an honorable man who would keep his word?" I think the answer is no, but for just 1 judge it's tough to call.

Now, knowing that McConnell is not an honorable man, I cannot understand Biden's thinking.
    Remember that Biden is the same guy who said this:

...in a lengthy press conference just hours before the Senate spectacularly failed to pass voting rights legislation, Biden told reporters he “did not anticipate that there’d be such a stalwart effort to make sure that the most important thing was that President Biden didn’t get anything done.”
    He does not appear to comprehend who today's Republicans are. Even today. Yet many here argue he's the best possible leader for this moment.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 06-30-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

If McConnell made an agreement with democrats that he would keep breathing...
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Yet many here argue he's the best possible leader for this moment.
    You do seem to be indulging in a lot of straw men. 'Best possible'? Who said that? Better than some of the alternatives, and any with an 'R' next to their name, doubtless. But, yes, sometimes ha doesn't realize how insane the Republicans have gotten, and how people he managed to work with for years are now terrified of the Redhats.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    You do seem to be indulging in a lot of straw men. 'Best possible'? Who said that?
    I'm pretty sure that's what Baxter's posts about Biden amount to, but of course he can always post a clarification if I misunderstood him.

I would have thought it might apply to you and twodot as well. If it doesn't, who do you think would be a better leader for the Democrats right now? If you can't name anyone specific, then I think that puts you squarely in the camp of "Biden is the best possible leader for this moment."

Edit to add:

You sure are quick on the draw with that "straw man" accusation, though. Careful with that--you'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 06-30-2022 at 08:09 AM.
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

who do you think would be a better leader for the Democrats right now?
    Obama would be much, much better, but he had his shot. Amy Klobuchar or Pete Buttigieig would have been better presidents, for all that the right would have gone insane about a female or gay president. But Biden is who we have, for all his imperfections, and he beat Trump handily, which is the most important thing.

And again, I think the deal with McConnell was probably a mistake.

Richard Feynman

Biden is past his best before date. Nobody in Canada would entertain a candidate so old. Hell, our senators and SC justices have to retire at 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Amy Klobuchar or Pete Buttigieig would have been better presidents, for all that the right would have gone insane about a female or gay president.
    OK--you're clearly not in that camp. I'm pretty sure Baxter has posted things in the line of "Biden is exactly the leader we need right now" because he promotes a "non-extreme, steady, quiet competence" (rough paraphrase) to chill out the hyperpartisan divisions in the country.

I'd say Biden's failure to recognize Republicans for what they are (which, based on the information in the OP, is still the case) is an immediate disqualifier for this moment in history. But we're stuck with him until 2024. He's almost infinitely better than any Republican would be, I'll give him that.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

the horses left the barn in 2016.

biden is trying to get horses back in, one at a time.

some would prefer to build a whole new barn around the horses. but they have no idea how to actually build a barn.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    the horses left the barn in 2016.

biden is trying to get horses back in, one at a time.
    Starting with McConnell? Bless his heart...

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

On paper, it may be defensible.

But a deal with Yertle? Puh-lease. Don't make me laugh.

Biden is the new Bambi ( The NYTimes' Maureen Dowd used to call Obama that for believing that Republicans would be reasonable ).
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

horse trading with the wrangler of the (not really) loyal opposition.

i suspect biden is aware of his limited options.

i suppose it would have been better to do nothing than to risk having his negotiations with foes made public, with the horsewhipping to ensue at the hands of allies.

"run for president, they said, it'll be fun, they said"

^ I was just going to point out the Lucy-with-the-football thing.
    Biden thinks he can dance with the Devil and win.
    McConnell will go back on his word in a heartbeat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    If he does this, he should require a public statement without any ambiguity from McConnell. At least then when he breaks his word, as he will, his lies are public.

Personally, I think this is a time to fight and not do deals.
    Over and over again we have seen videos of Republicans blatantly contradicting themselves. They just don’t care.

horse trading with the wrangler of the (not really) loyal opposition.

i suspect biden is aware of his limited options.

i suppose it would have been better to do nothing than to risk having his negotiations with foes made public, with the horsewhipping to ensue at the hands of allies.
    No, you miss (or probably intentionally avoid) the real point here:

Biden's apparent belief that negotiating with McConnell is a reasonable option to pursue is the problem. NOT the fact that people who know better will rightly criticize him for it.

It occurs to me that I don't remember ever hearing you admit that anything Biden has done has been less than perfect. I guess that makes you a "Biden Bro," eh?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

No, you miss (or probably intentionally avoid) the real point here:

Biden's apparent belief that negotiating with McConnell is a reasonable option to pursue is the problem. NOT the fact that people who know better will rightly criticize him for it.

It occurs to me that I don't remember ever hearing you admit that anything Biden has done has been less than perfect. I guess that makes you a "Biden Bro," eh?

Tom
    meh. i've been critical of president biden. but, obviously not critical enough to satisfy those who thirst for catharsis.

it goes without saying that you and the guy who wrote this article know how to president better than the career senator and former vice president who won 80 million votes. i mean, has there ever been a president as good as you?

we missed a real opportunity when you decided not to run. heavy sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    He pretty much put Clarence Thomas in.
    Thank God.

meh. i've been critical of president biden. but, obviously not critical enough to satisfy those who thirst for catharsis.

it goes without saying that you and the guy who wrote this article know how to president better than the career senator and former vice president who won 80 million votes. i mean, has there ever been a president as good as you?

we missed a real opportunity when you decided not to run. heavy sigh!
    Cheer up, Baxter--you can start a write-in campaign for 2024. I'd come back from Poland if I'm elected.

As for the bolded bit:

Did you read the article? It reports at least 2 Democrats (a senator and a House rep) who are criticizing him. I think we can both be fairly confident that a LOT of people on his side are going to be, or already are, adding their own criticisms.

But who said anything about knowing how to "president" better than Biden? What I said was, many of Biden's supporters and allies know better than to trust McConnell.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 06-30-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

meh. i've been critical of president biden.
    Honest question: about what? I don't remember anything but praise for him from you.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I'd come back from Poland
    pamperin's betrayal?

Honest question: about what? I don't remember anything but praise for him from you.

Tom
    F98A604F-997D-45F7-AAC4-4AF6028AAF79.jpg

pamperin's betrayal?
    Too cryptic for me, I'm afraid.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

The obvious difference being, she answered the questions she was asked instead of dodging them.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

at this point, what difference does it make.

on a thread titled "biden's betrayal?" you are demanding that i prove my bona fides to defend the president's alleged attempt at dealmaking, by providing some non sequitor criticisms of my own.

shrug.