Thread: '57 42 foot Constellation. Trying to reduce 14' 6" height for road transport

Default '57 42 foot Constellation. Trying to reduce 14' 6" height for road transport

I hope to take possession of this beauty in a week, pending successful engine tests.
    My plan: possession in Erie then hire transport to go to Pittsburgh
    Problem: having trouble finder a hauler who will even quote, likely due to the height/permitting

New Plan: take possession and spend a few days at the marina carefully removing the inside wood trim and detaching the aluminum windshields(?) from the wooden bridge(?)

Perhaps someone has done something similar before or sees a flaw with my idea. I cannot find info on the exact construction. Looks like Al frames attached to wooden sub-base

I appreciate any thoughts
    regardsIMG_0223 (1).jpgIMG_0224 (1).jpgIMG_0225 (1).jpgIMG_0992.jpg

Default Re: '57 42 foot Constellation. Trying to reduce 14' 6" height for road transport

I haven't. I think with caution and patience you can remove the top. Does she float and run? You might have her delivered by water.

Default Re: '57 42 foot Constellation. Trying to reduce 14' 6" height for road transport

That looks easier said than done.
    Is there a water route available?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

My experience with removin things from these Connie’s is easy cuz they all rot up under the varnish.

I know nothing of these boats. But if a water route isn't an option, then I'd adopt my usual philosophy: Somebody built that, therefore it can be taken apart.

Jeff

Trim poppin off the roof .. rot
    Third photo of the window sill….rot
    Shiny metal bits screwed into the plank ends at the transom? I’ve found rot there on at least 6 of these boats, they sure not supposed to extend underwater.

This museum's library in North Carolina holds the, "Chris-Craft Archives." Plans or info about your model may be available and may or may not prove helpful.

https://www.marinersmuseum.org/library/

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Area under and behind the lower window…rot
    doorway into the porch…rot
    sorry i just can’t help it
    remember “I see dead people”… well I see rot . It’s a curse

The owner will take the boat across Lake Erie from Canada to Erie for me to take possession. So it floats/runs. There I inspect and make final payment.
    No water route that my research found as was confirmed by the Captain.
    I'm aware of some of the rot and this will be part of inspection/acceptance
    Breakaway- I ordered a set of info from the Museum. thanks

Sure, it can be carefully removed. You will need a small crane as that’s a lot of weight and area up there.

Chris crafts are nicely built boats, and pretty simple construction, so it should all just come apart.

We bought our Chris Craft in East Tawas, Michigan ... had it trucked to St. Charles (St. Louis), Missouri. The windshield had to be removed for transport. Yours will be a lot more work due to hard top, but it can certainly be done ... you WILL have to rewire/reconnect anything going to the glass (think wipers) and anything running up/in/through the hardtop. We did it 25 years ago ...

LOVE that model, BTW!!! Good luck.
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.