Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Reich: Liz Chaney for President

Default Robert Reich: Liz Chaney for President

https://robertreich.substack.com/p/l...-for-president

Liz Cheney for President?

Is she the person America will need?

Friends,
    I trust Joe Biden’s steadiness and judgment, and if he runs again, I’ll probably back him in 2024. But today I want to suggest someone who isn’t even a Democrat, and whose positions on many issues I (and I suspect you) strongly disagree with — but who could possibly be the best president of the United States for the perilous time we’re entering.
    I’m referring to Liz Cheney.
    Before you reject this idea out of hand, please bear with me. Even if you still end up thinking it’s a ludicrous notion, let me take you through the argument.
    I’ve been in and around American politics for well over a half century. I’ve never seen this nation as bitterly divided as it is now — not during the Civil Rights movement, not during the Vietnam War, not during Watergate. And it looks as if the current division is growing deeper and even more dangerous.
    Donald Trump didn’t just attempt a coup. He attempted to push America into a civil war. And he’s still at it — endorsing candidates who will repeat his Big Lie that the 2020 election was stolen from him, encouraging states to change their election laws so Republican lawmakers can disregard the popular vote, and pushing them to install secretaries of state and other election officials who will count votes in ways favorable to Republicans — especially him, should he run for president again in 2024.
    In short, Trump wants a civil war centered on himself — on his Big Lie, and on the racist nationalism he fueled to build his political base. Trump’s narcissism is so poisonous that he is committed to splitting the nation over its commitment to him. As president, Trump never understood that he was president of America as a whole. He considered himself to be president only of his supporters, whom he called “my people.” Those who didn’t support him were his enemies. Since the 2020 election, he has done everything possible to stoke war between his supporters and his perceived enemies. Clearly, that’s his aim in 2024.
    It will be impossible to reunite this nation without a leader who is the exact opposite of Trump — driven not by narcissism but by a passion for the rule of law and the Constitution — someone who has staked everything on opposing Trump’s demagogic authoritarianism, someone with huge stores of courage and integrity.
    Since the attack on the Capitol, Liz Cheney has demonstrated more courage and integrity than any other politician in America. Democratic lawmakers have opposed Trump’s Big Lie, to be sure, but most knew they wouldn’t pay a price for their opposition. Cheney knew she would pay a price — and she has.

As I said, Cheney is a firm conservative and I have opposed many of her positions. But we are at an inflection point in this nation over a set of principles that transcend any particular positions or policies. If we cannot agree on the sanctity of the Constitution and the rule of law, we are no longer capable of self government. The real battle in 2024 will not be between Democrats and Republicans. It will be between forces supporting democracy in America and those supporting authoritarianism. Trump is the de facto leader of the forces supporting authoritarianism. Liz Cheney has become the de facto leader of the forces supporting democracy.
    Liz Cheney’s courage and integrity are closer to Paul Wellstone’s than to almost any current politician I can think of. All of America needs her to run for president in the Republican primaries for the 2024 election. Do we need her to win as well?
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Robert Reich: Liz Chaney for President

Out of your ever loving mind to suggest Liz should be prez.

I don't have a high opinion of Robert Reich because of some of the things he did while in the Clinton administration, and Liz Chaney voted with Donald Trump most of the time, but she is honorable when it comes to the Constitution. So no, but I respect her.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Out of your ever loving mind to suggest Liz should be prez.
    Robert Reich, not me. He does have a point. We saw it today.

Who better to go up against Trump world?

Liberals, you had an agenda. There's been an amendment. There's a new number one; rather, it's been number one all along, but you've been denying it for various reasons. Now you are again proved to be wrong.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Robert Reich, not me. He does have a point. We saw it today.
    He has a point that Republicans have to reform their party and she is perfect for that job. If you want the continuation of a militarized foreign policy from the Whitehouse like her father’s accomplishments she would be good for that. It does take a functioning gov’t to marshal resources to kill people in other countries. TFG was about undermining every instutuion even the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Who better to go up against Trump world?

Liberals, you had an agenda. There's been an amendment. There's a new number one; rather, it's been number one all along, but you've been denying it for various reasons. Now you are again proved to be wrong.
    “Trump world” is collapsing. The segment of the population yearning for authoritarian rule could be happy with Liz. I bet she’d rise to the expectation.

A good way to get her out of the senate, I don't think she is stupid enough to go for that ploy

Impossible, she's pro life.

She may be the nearest thing you have to a 'neutral' candidate.

I don't have a high opinion of Robert Reich because of some of the things he did while in the Clinton administration
    How about the other things he did?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Impossible, she's pro life.
    Yeah, that invasion of Iraq really embodies concern for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    A good way to get her out of the senate, I don't think she is stupid enough to go for that ploy
    She's not in the Senate, she is a member of the House.
    But not for long. She is going to get trounced in the primary by the Trump Hate Machine.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    She's not in the Senate, she is a member of the House.
    But not for long. She is going to get trounced in the primary by the Trump Hate Machine.
    Oops!
    I wonder if she will get trounced though. The money noise say's maybe not

Liz is a traitor to her party, thats a winning resume to become a liberal.

Liz Chaney for Prez; AOC for VP. Might as well continue the rift all the way to the top. Actually, as a conservative-leaning independent, I could vote for Chaney. I'm all for a woman POTUS from either party, but the ones they keep coming up with I cannot vote for. I haven't voted for POTUS in the last two elections. In SC, you can't write in, and the offered candidates have been ridiculous in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Liz is a traitor to her party, thats a winning resume to become a liberal.
    You aren’t equipped to determine whether someone is a traitor to party or country but since you opened your yap think about which is more important, loyalty to party or country THEN maybe try and articulate what you are loyal to in party or country. Heavy task I’m pretty sure you cannot take on but this isn’t your safe place for self gratification.
    Last edited by LeeG; 06-29-2022 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek
    ... as a conservative-leaning independent...
    ...the offered candidates have been ridiculous in recent years.
    as a liberal leaning independent, I agree.. and would also love a woman POTUS (I supported Ferraro as VP way back when, had hopes for Warren.. militaristic HRC, not so much) tho an AOC/Cheney ticket sounds better.

Still, Reich might have a point re: bringing the nation together. Certainly no likely (AOC will not likely get a Dem nod) Dem candidate can do it. Dems seem clueless on stopping the anger and Reps, intent on stoking the flames..

we live in strange times.

leunig-world.changing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    You aren’t equipped to determine whether someone is a traitor to party or country but since you opened your yap think about which is more important, loyalty to party or country THEN maybe try and articulate what you are loyal to in party or country. Heavy task I’m pretty sure you cannot take on but this isn’t your safe place for self gratification.
    We have plenty of rhinos..

Liz is pandering to democrats now to fund raise.

Just like john McCain libs love a turncoat to our party but in the end will hate them.

Liz is a traitor to her party . . .
    If that's the case, then she had to choose between loyalty to a party led by someone who attempted a coup to overthrow the government, and loyalty to her country.

And here we come to the questions again. Are you also a traitor to your country? Answer them.
    1. Did Mr Biden legitimately in the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere with the electoral vote count by force on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Actually a consideration I've been mulling, as well. LC stands against most of what I support - but I do believe she's honest, smart, and truly patriotic; IOW, the antithesis of all things trumpkin. That said, unclear how she might be elected - I don't see her winning the Repub nomination (I could be wrong), in which case, never make it to the general - unless a bunch of Dems continue the ploy of switching parties, and voting her in. As well, Dems would need to be on board, in the general. I imagine that decision would come down to who they have nominated, and chances of success.

interesting conundrum.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Yes - bbbbbys is a traitor to his country.

Onward.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

We have plenty of rhinos..

Liz is pandering to democrats now to fund raise.

Just like john McCain libs love a turncoat to our party but in the end will hate them.
    Like I said you aren’t equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    She will not make it through the next election. She is a virtual lame duck

Default The argument against

Would four years of Liz smother Trumpismo? Does Red cognitive dissonance have the power to survive it?

There were intimations of a cult beginning to form around the Chimp, and they dropped him like a bad habit. He was too goofy, only frat-boy mean and cruel. They now denounce him. So the cult doesn't absolutely need a Fuerher.

Remember the "Republican Autopsy" after Obama won? They denounced that too. These questions are now settled:

There’s been a long running debate on the intellectual right about whether the GOP suffers from “epistemic closure,” a condition in which conservatives block out all dissenting voices until eventually their own arguments sound nonsensical to anyone who doesn’t already agree with them. The RNC report concludes this is a real and growing problem.

"The Republican Party needs to stop talking to itself,” its authors write. “We have become expert in how to provide ideological reinforcement to like-minded people, but devastatingly we have lost the ability to be persuasive with, or welcoming to, those who do not agree with us on every issue. Instead of driving around in circles on an ideological cul-de-sac, we need a Party whose brand of conservatism invites and inspires new people to visit us.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/6-b...e-2012-autopsy
    Obama didn't kill the cult in two terms. Why would Liz be able to kill it in one? Would she really de-Trumpify the government -- clean house? Or just replicate MAGA under a different name?
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

If Trump is disqualified to run, the doors are open.

What would a Nikki Haley/Liz Chaney administration look like? What would the country look like after 8 years of two R women in charge?

What would a Nikki Haley/Liz Chaney adminsitration look like? What would the country look like after 8 years of two women in charge?
    I would not hate to see Haley as the nominee, but you will not see a woman for both offices on the same ticket. At least not in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I would not hate to see Haley as the nominee, but you will not see a woman for both offices on the same ticket. At least not in the foreseeable future.
    I think we would see a deflective campaign. In a heated debate both these women would eat Biden up. Such a show of strength would be enough to topple the older man. They also could bring unity to their post Trump party.

If Trump is disqualified to run, the doors are open.
    Possibly open for someone just as dreadful, but not so nuts and much more component. Ron DeSantis? (shudder)
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I think we would see a deflective campaign. In a heated debate both these women would eat Biden up. Such a show of strength would be enough to topple the older man. They also could bring unity to their post Trump party.
    I do not believe you will see Biden. His popularity is near a historic low, he is clearly having cognitive difficulties. For the Democratic party to have a chance they will need to jettison him - preferably by convincing him to announce he will not run for re-election. I'm not even convinced he won't stroke-out before the next election leaving us with President Harris running for reelection. And if this were to happen after Jan 20, 2023, she could complete Biden's term plus run for two more - 10 years of Kamala scares the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Possibly open for someone just as dreadful, but not so nuts and much more component. Ron DeSantis? (shudder)
    I don't agree with the "dreadful" part but yes hopefully not someone not as "nuts"

Of all the politicians in both parties today Liz Cheney has taken the largest risks and suffered the greatest damage to defend our democracy.

So if that is the most important issue to you, you ought to be thinking about her. Hard.

I had not thought that through until I saw this thread, but I am sure its true.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Yes - bbbbbys is a traitor to his country.

Onward.
    I think he made mention of this country wanting him for military service, but went quiet upon inquiry, very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hunter View Post
    Of all the politicians in both parties today Liz Cheney has taken the largest risks and suffered the greatest damage to defend our democracy.

So if that is the most important issue to you, you ought to be thinking about her. Hard.

I had not thought that through until I saw this thread, but I am sure its true.
    Country over party, yo.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Well.... that's 'one'. Just need a few more.