Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the 'good' things Trump did for this country?

Default Re: What are the 'good' things Trump did for this country?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Presidents have the privilege of nominating whoever they think is the best candidate. FDR appointed 8 in his tenure and nominated the chief justice. He completely changed the makeup of the court for decades as he deliberately chose young nominees who would be there a long time. His first appointment (which replaced a conservative justice) was someone that in his mind needed to be a "bible thumping new dealer" and he settled on Hugo Black - a well known racist and member of the KKK. Depending on whether you are liberal or conservative there have been plenty of opportunities to complain about the makeup of the SCOTUS.
    Right, so this is my opportunity. Speaking of despicable characters what do you think of what McConnell did to Obama’s SC nominee?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Right, so this is my opportunity. Speaking of despicable characters what do you think of what McConnell did to Obama’s SC nominee?
    I think it is dirty political tactics. Not a fan of Mitch for a number of reasons.

I think putting a justice on the court SHOULD need more than a simple majority, and more than just votes of one party.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I think putting a justice on the court SHOULD need more than a simple majority, and more than just votes of one party.
    It would be nice if all nominations were nearly unanimous. But if we did that we would probably never have a successful nominee and SCOTUS would dwindle in size until there are none.

Trump skirted all prior practice and regulation with respect to creating and making available a new vaccine to fight COVID. This was a bright spot in a mostly dismal record.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Trump skirted all prior practice and regulation with respect to creating and making available a new vaccine to fight COVID. This was a bright spot in a mostly dismal record.

Kevin
    I agree, his "Operation Warp Speed" far exceeded the predictions of people like Fauci. 13 million people had already been vaccinated by the time Trump left office and that was on 10 months after the outbreak hit the US in earnest. Fauci had said that moving at top speed would require 18 months maybe longer.

Kevin
    All while publically undercutting the professionals tasked with pandemic response. What a turd.

It would be nice if all nominations were nearly unanimous. But if we did that we would probably never have a successful nominee and SCOTUS would dwindle in size until there are none.
    Going back to Clinton and earlier, it was typical for a president's Supreme Court nominations to be approved by 80-90% of the Senate. We're talking 96-0, 98-0, 99-0 type approval votes.

I place the blame for today's hyperpartisanship squarely on the GOP, starting with Newt Gingrich and ramping up under McConnell.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Going back to Clinton and earlier, it was typical for a president's Supreme Court nominations to be approved by 80-90% of the Senate. We're talking 96-0, 98-0, 99-0 type approval votes.

I place the blame for today's hyperpartisanship squarely on the GOP, starting with Newt Gingrich and ramping up under McConnell.

Tom
    I agree it should be that way and it was also typical that if the nominee was from the senate it was a unanimous vote.

regarding hyperpartisanship.......It takes two. Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi did their share. I don't give a pass to Gingrich or McConnell - they were and are despicable, but they are not alone. Unless it is a bipartisan effort to change the dynamic it will remain this way forever.

The Republicans blame it all on the Bork nomination. Bork's record favoring poll taxes, literacy tests, and opposition to the unenumerated right to privacy, not to mention his gleeful execution of Nixon's "Saturday Massacre", caused his Supreme Court nomination to fail after bitter hearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The Republicans blame it all on the Bork nomination. Bork's record favoring poll taxes, literacy tests, and opposition to the unenumerated right to privacy, not to mention his gleeful execution of Nixon's "Saturday Massacre", caused his Supreme Court nomination to fail after bitter hearings.
    There is no one person, party or cause that is to blame. I miss the days the Ted Kennedy and John McCain could argue bitterly on the floor and then go out to dinner that night as colleagues. There was a civility that allowed for bipartisan efforts and compromise.

There is no one person, party or cause that is to blame. I miss the days the Ted Kennedy and John McCain could argue bitterly on the floor and then go out to dinner that night as colleagues. There was a civility that allowed for bipartisan efforts and compromise.
    True.

But there IS one party that is primarily to blame, because Acton Dictum.

One party has almost totally embraced the concentration of wealth & power among those already having both. The other party has not been immune, but has substantially more broadly resisted that trend.

And that trend is the root cause of most of the ills we currently suffer from. While the one party doubles down on their embrace.
    Last edited by David G; 06-29-2022 at 04:54 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

One of the catch-phrases politicians in Alabama use to praise Mr. Trump is that he did so much to support our military. Exactly what did he do to help our military at all? He set the deadline to give Afghanistan back to the Taliban, but other than that I can't think of anything substantial.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Kevin
    True, but he did nothing in regards to distributing it. Meanwhile he told people to drink bleach.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I agree it should be that way and it was also typical that if the nominee was from the senate it was a unanimous vote.

regarding hyperpartisanship.......It takes two. Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi did their share. I don't give a pass to Gingrich or McConnell - they were and are despicable, but they are not alone. Unless it is a bipartisan effort to change the dynamic it will remain this way forever.
    I believe the GOP began a change under Reagan. Gingrich gave that change a boost. The Tea party changed it farther. Now it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I believe the GOP began a change under Reagan. Gingrich gave that change a boost. The Tea party changed it farther. Now it is what it is.
    True, except it started earlier. It started with Nixon and his gang of thugs. Watergate. The Southern Strategy. Etc. Back then, though, they were the minority of R leadership. Now - the vast majority are thugs. Either cynical thugs (the bamboozlers): tRump, McConnell, etc... or ignorant foolish thugs (the bamboozled): Boebert; Gomert; MTG; Rand Paul; etc. The latter group includes all of the sympathetic BilgeRats, as far as I can tell.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Right-Wing Lawmaker's 'BEST' Trump Question Backfires

Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Texas) asked a question on Twitter on Wednesday, but he probably didn’t like the answers he received.

Jackson, a conspiracy theorist and Donald Trump acolyte who as White House physician once claimed the then-president could live to 200, wrote:

"What is the BEST thing about president Trump?"

He received some 20,000 replies over the course of the day. However, many of them were variations on the same answer:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ronny...b00a9334e3cc74
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Helet the "First Lady" demonstrate for all of us just how horrible bad taste can be when it comes to Christmas decorations in the White House.