Thread: starter?

Default starter?

Have a brand new honda 8hp outboard (3 hr lake time). I am not a mechanic but the starter will not work. I know I have power to the motor, and I checked the fuse. The nearest marine mechanic is several hours away. Anyone with experience with this issue?

Gary

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: starter?

Ground … check the ground
    if that duz not work, check the ground

But it does start with the pull cord? How about the various safety circuits in these motors now -- dead man's switch, must be in neutral, etc. etc.?
    -Dave

Can you be more specific? That is, does the starter motor turn, but the engine does not start?

If so, Dave's suggestion to make sure the kill switch lanyard ( now called an ECOSL) is connected.

Next, make sure the spark plug wire is on tight.

Next, make sure you have fuel and it is flowing the engine. ( Again give details, ie, is it a built in tank or a remote tank, etc)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Gary, in post # 1, you state '3 hour lake time' - does this mean that the motor did run for 3 hours, then would not start ?

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

yes, 3 hours total run time everything worked perfect. Left it sitting for a spell (^ months) now starter will not engage at all, ie it does nothing. The ECOSL is connected. Battery is brand new and fully charged. even used another good battery, and nothing. will double check the ground, and all other suggestions.