Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When your neighbor is a paranoid prepper....

Default When your neighbor is a paranoid prepper....

...it can result in an eyesore and a nuisance. The neighbors are not amused. The Shepherdsville, KY police say there is nothing they can do.

Is there a difference between a prepper and a lunatic?

Check out this report by WLKY in Louisville, see the house, and decide for yourself: https://www.wlky.com/article/neighbo...risks/40437692
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 06-28-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Default Re: When your neighbor is a paranoid prepper....

Wlky is too embarrassed to allow me to read the piece.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Neighbors complain about unusual Shepherdsville home posing risks

WLKY Updated: 7:04 PM EDT Jun 27, 2022
    Alexis Mathews
    Reporter

SHEPHERDSVILLE, Ky. — Hundreds of sandbags piled high, plastic in place of grass, fishing lines across the yard and dozens of peanut butter jars make up the house on Fifth Avenue.

Some neighbors say it's an eye sore and could lower their property value.

“We're here in the city and we want our place to look good,” said Valerie Moore, a next-door neighbor. “That makes the whole community look horrible.”

Moore says it’s also attracting unwanted attention in the Shepherdsville neighborhood.

“I bet you we have five or 10 cars that stop get out and take pictures of it. I guess they've never seen anything like it,” she said.

Jonathan Cooper, the homeowner, says the reason the home is like this is because he's concerned about security, specifically a foreign attack.

“Part of preparing is being in a state as much as possible of that condition already, so you might have noticed I'm not using my vehicle right now,” Cooper said.

A bicycle is his only transportation, he shut off electricity in the home, and every entryway in the house except for one opening in the back is blocked.

“Some of them seem very supportive, some of them are not, a lot of them are quizzical,” Cooper said. “Before I went this direction with everything, I actually gave a handout in the community to everyone in the neighborhood.”

Some neighbors, like Moore, are also worried about the smell, and how the state of the property could affect their health. They reference the standing water and bugs.

“My husband has stage three kidney failure, lung problems, and is diabetic,” she said. “We can't even sit outside and enjoy our lives; I think it's terrible.”

Moore and others have reached out to city officials to complain, but Bullitt County officials tell us Cooper is not violating any codes right now. Yet Moore is determined to keep the issue at the forefront until it’s resolved.

“They tell me I need to get a petition and have all the neighbors sign it,” Moore said. “I don't care what it takes, but it needs to go. I mean we have been fighting this for two months.”

Without electricity, Cooper says he is cooking on a propane grill in the house. He also has a stock of propane tanks to last him for two years.

https://www.wlky.com/article/neighbo...-risks/40437692
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

"Without electricity, Cooper says he is cooking on a propane grill in the house. He also has a stock of propane tanks to last him for two years."
    and only one exit partly blocked? Asking for a fire and being trapped. But then he obviously has a mental problem. I do hope he's not armed……….

^ reference post # 4 - 'a stock of propane tanks to last 2 years' - in a partly-barricaded house - what could possibly go wrong ( side note : few of us would keep any propane tanks inside a closed up boat )
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

There's almost no risk, or....;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr15rPHEmeQ

I think he has the largest chances of dying by using gas grill indoors. We seem to lose a family every major power outage to it.

The sandbags should protect the neighbors from the imminent propane explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ...it can result in an eyesore and a nuisance. The neighbors are not amused. The Shepherdsville, KY police say there is nothing they can do.

Is there a difference between a prepper and a lunatic?

Check out this report by WLKY in Louisville, see the house, and decide for yourself: https://www.wlky.com/article/neighbo...risks/40437692

The authorities could breach that sandbag castle in less than a minute. What on earth is he protecting himself from?

Random bullets.

His own paranoia.

That stock of propane in an urban situation is surely a danger the law, or fire regulations should enforce action.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    The authorities could breach that sandbag castle in less than a minute. What on earth is he protecting himself from?
    Defending against his own worries, albeit unsuccessfully. These guys really don't seem to understand that in the event of real trouble (his imaginary 'foreign invasion' or something similar) their amateur defenses attract attention, and would be about as much trouble to a real military force as stepping on a cockroach.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

From a European point if view this is a form of pathological paranoia just as buying the complete range of attack guns is.
    You can have serious doubts about the mental health status of these extreme "preppers", they probably need some serious psycho therapy.

The rich have much more elaborate defenses. More soldiers, more guns, more fortifications, more sophisticated systems. Nobody thinks anything of it. The politicians even more. Again, not a second look. A poor man wants to feel safe, and he’s crazy. Perhaps “Because his method is unsound.”

15210CDC-0E07-4D80-81DD-437415A37D03.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Ranger View Post
    The sandbags should protect the neighbors from the imminent propane explosion.
    But I really hope the video of it going BOOOOOM makes it onto YouTube. All those sandbags should direct the blast upwards. It’ll be spectacular.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Does anybody know what function the jars of peanut butter are supposed to serve?
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Nearest neighbor is a good foot ball field away or more. Only dumb, illegal thing he's done is shoot across a paved road at a fox. HE MISSED AND THE FOX GAVE HIM THE FINGER

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Tom, preppies are inherited...

How much does concrete and rebar cost in the US that a common working man can not afford some proper protection? The minimum standard is not very demanding, 4ft walls, 5ft ceiling, 19lbs cement/cuft of concrete, #4 rebar in a 6in cubic mesh.

That guy is seriously whacked.

Any idea what the point of disconnecting the electricity might have been? Does it carry mind control waves?

Or the covering the ground with plastic sheets?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I think ‘doggie has found a kindred soul…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

The guy is a straight out nutter. A few sandbags aren't going to do much when all hell breaks loose and I fail to see anything to be gained by turning off the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

Any idea what the point of disconnecting the electricity might have been? Does it carry mind control waves?

The electricity has to do with developing the needed skills, it's a big thing for them. He is learning how to cope without it.
    The plastic sheets are probably to inhibit vegetation so he has a clear field of fire and the fishing lines with jars an alarm system to wake him up when the enemey is sneaking up on him.

No electricity, rides a bicycle, cooks only on propane not using electric or gas, eats peanut butter ( only hope its skippy)and recycled the jars.he is self sufficient, sounds more like a paranoid liberal environmentalist. .

Unless of course he has 2 broken down tar pots in the yard with big propane tanks and stacks of tar and roofing.

The bags provide thermal mass.

I just feel sorry for people like that. It is a mental problem, because whatever happens, he can't defend himself against it. Meanwhile, his life is consumed by what might.

Chatting to an older friend. Resident in NYC and a escapee from the Nazis. At the time, the East/West relations were a bit bad. Gold came up as a thing to buy against disaster. He said he would rather go in the first flash, than deal with what remained. (Nearly all his relatives perished in the camps)

He has a low carbon footprint and does less damage to the world than most of us.

Someone ought to wind him up- tell him that all gas (propane) containers have concealed tracking devices and mikes these days- the Deep State has to keep track of all these off grid types.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Someone ought to wind him up- tell him that all gas (propane) containers have concealed tracking devices and mikes these days- the Deep State has to keep track of all these off grid types.
    Bit surprised at that Phil, the bloke is obviously a bit nuts and needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    He has a low carbon footprint and does less damage to the world than most of us.
    Only until the whole place goes BOOM.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Sell and take the loss before he kills you.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Colonel Karen from the HOA should tack a piece of pink paper to his sandbag wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

I've seen conspiracy theories that say thats a thing!
    But hey, if he's a bit crazy, surely that project means that people know where he is and its keeping him occupied. Thats not a bad thing.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    These guys really don't seem to understand that in the event of real trouble (his imaginary 'foreign invasion' or something similar) their amateur defenses attract attention, and would be about as much trouble to a real military force as stepping on a cockroach.
    Seems like if one were the invading force, and ran into the sandbag redoubt, one might be inclined to light it up with a couple of RPGs, just on spec, especially if somebody inside were to take a shot or 30 with their AR.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Are those sandbags UV resistant?