X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Loudon
    Seattle
    • Apr 2020

Re: Small Boat Sailing

In my little 9.5 ft row/sail dinghy I've had a couple of unintentional gybes in strongish winds here on Elliott Bay in Seattle, in part due to my general lack of small boat experience but particularly due my not getting on with the boomless main. I'm now building a boom for the sail which should settle this, and also make reefing easier.

After my last gybe and near capsize I beached the boat, took down the rig, and continued on with oars. Very pleasant exercise and less fiddly than sailing. Years ago I didn't have the patience for rowing but now in my dotage it seems just right. This fall I'll build a dedicated rowing boat, probably Flint.

Comment

• WI-Tom
      Seaside Expat
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Jack Loudon
      In my little 9.5 ft row/sail dinghy I've had a couple of unintentional gybes in strongish winds here on Elliott Bay in Seattle, in part due to my general lack of small boat experience but particularly due my not getting on with the boomless main. I'm now building a boom for the sail which should settle this, and also make reefing easier.
      Sailing a boomless standing lugsail my ownself, I'm curious why your experience has persuaded you that gybing might be better with a boom. I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to learn from your perspective. I find gybing a boomless rig quite simple--the key for me has been to manage the sheet by hand, and when it's windy, to reel in most of the slack on the sheet before gybing.

And keeping your heading far enough off the wind to avoid unintended gybes. But there's certainly less damage you can do to passengers with a boomless gybe, which is worth something, maybe.

I do, however, dispute the claim that reefing is easier with a boom. I suppose it might be a bit quicker if you're set up with lines to pull the new reef points down to the boom with a quick pull at each end. And, I suppose, you can choose not to tie in the nettles at all. So, quicker? Yes.

But all I need to do to reef a boomless sail is roll up the foot and tie in each reef point. That's really really easy. And, I think, maybe not much slower than it would be with a boom.

I stand ready to be corrected--or at least disagreed with--by others. What do y'all think?

Tom
      Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• WI-Tom
        Seaside Expat
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Yeadon
        Over 20 knots and our little boats are starting to run out of options. Over 20 miles to row and you’re going to need some current under you.
        What is this "current" thing of which you speak?

Tom
        Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• Jack Loudon
          Seattle
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by WI-Tom
          Sailing a boomless standing lugsail my ownself, I'm curious why your experience has persuaded you that gybing might be better with a boom. I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to learn from your perspective. I find gybing a boomless rig quite simple--the key for me has been to manage the sheet by hand, and when it's windy, to reel in most of the slack on the sheet before gybing.

And keeping your heading far enough off the wind to avoid unintended gybes. But there's certainly less damage you can do to passengers with a boomless gybe, which is worth something, maybe.

I do, however, dispute the claim that reefing is easier with a boom. I suppose it might be a bit quicker if you're set up with lines to pull the new reef points down to the boom with a quick pull at each end. And, I suppose, you can choose not to tie in the nettles at all. So, quicker? Yes.

But all I need to do to reef a boomless sail is roll up the foot and tie in each reef point. That's really really easy. And, I think, maybe not much slower than it would be with a boom.

I stand ready to be corrected--or at least disagreed with--by others. What do y'all think?

Tom
          Tom, thanks for your reply.

My problem with boomless rigs is almost certainly due to my lack of experience, and due to habits learned on larger boats with boomed main and unboomed jib. On past boats when going downwind, the main usually behaved nicely but the jib needed attention to keep it full, and a whisker pole was often needed, especially going wing and wing. My current boomless sail wants to collapse or switch sides when going directly or nearly downwind, so like you suggested, I need to keep the wind more to one side. Maybe that's the whole of it right there. With more patience and experience (and unlearning my habit of going directly downwind) the boomless rig would likely be fine. But I was thinking that a boomed sail, especially on an unstayed rig where the boom could be could be swung forward of perpendicular, would be easy to control.

Another obvious attraction to a boomed main is that no sheets need be touched when tacking; just move the tiller and switch sides. When tacking my current rig, hauling in the new leeward sheet one handed (2:1 purchase), while keeping the other hand on the tiller, while simultaneously scooting my butt to the new uphill side, I feel like the one-armed paper hanger.

That said, my boomless sail sets beautifully on a reach, and is in other respects easy to handle. It is clearly safer (though the boom is above my head) and arguably simpler, though the sheet leads aren't that simple.

When reefing my boomless rig, I could only think of fully dropping the sail in the boat, gathering the foot of the sail, tying the reef points, and re-hoisting. If the sail is not fully lowered, the wind will cause clew end to swing over the side and out of reach (my sail has full length battens), so I can't just partially lower the sail, tie the reef in the tack end, snug up the halyard, then grab and tie the clew reef. My thought with my new boomed main is to install jiffy reefing with a cheek block on the boom at the reef clew position, with the reefing line led to the forward end near the boom. Standard jiffy reefing. Then the entire job is done at the mast, and it doesn't matter if the boom end has swung out over the water. My boat is small and my home waters are bouncy. If I can accomplish the entire reefing process while seated at the mast, so much the better.

Again, these are the thoughts of someone new to the workings of small unballasted boats. My reaction is to apply bigger boat solutions, which may be misguided.

Comment

• WI-Tom
            Seaside Expat
            • Jan 2009

Jack,

that makes sense. I agree you certainly can't reef a boomless sail without dropping it entirely first--or at least, not easily or efficiently.

I've always done the same even when sailing with a boomed balance lugsail, though I suppose it would be possible to reef with the sail still partially up. If I remember right, a lot of the PNW lugsail enthusiasts (boomed balance lug yawls) tend to sheet in the mizzen and drop the mainsail entirely to reef anyway--but they have the mizzen to hold the boat into the wind, so the sail drops nicely into the boat. Maybe it'll work just as you envision to set up to reef with the sail still partly up, with all controls at the mast.

It'll be interesting to see what happens--thanks for posting!

As for running, I think even with a boom that the small boat consensus is, dead downwind isn't a desirable heading. Too easy to gybe, and also slower speed. I think the usual tactic--certainly what I do--is to "tack" downwind so gybing is always predictable.

A boomless sail can't be let out as far without risking an accidental gybe, so I've found this is even more important with a boomless sail. It pretty much removed all my worries about gybing.

Tom
            Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• Toxophilite
              • Nov 2010

I've always dropped my boomed lug rig into the boat to reef. When I need to reef, having everything calm and down in the boat seems better than things lashing about above me.

Comment

• Jack Loudon
                Seattle
                • Apr 2020

Thanks Tom, and Toxophilite, for your excellent advice. I built the boom, but in use it added complication and was a head banger, so the drawbacks outweighed the usefulness. I will revert to the original boomless rig, and will learn to tack downwind

An aside, one of the great pleasures of small boats, especially owner-built boats, is problem solving and then making small modifications. Building and rigging my boom was a great learning experience, even if it seldom gets used. Other examples below.

I've heard you should never cleat the sheet in a small boat, but don't see how it's possible to never let go of the sheet. I first began jamming the sheet under my foot when I needed a free hand, and then installed the pair of cleats shown below, which are used with caution. They are close at hand, and release instantly, and are mounted on the daggerboard so are removed with the board when rowing.

Next is a cart for wheeling the boat from my pickup bed to the water. The fin slots in the daggerboard trunk and is very secure. When I lift up one end of the boat, the cart just drops out. The cart is small enough to take with me in the boat.

These are not especially brilliant and probably not original (though original to me) but very satisfying to figure out and then build.

Comment

• John Meachen
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jack Loudon

I've heard you should never cleat the sheet in a small boat, but don't see how it's possible to never let go of the sheet. I first began jamming the sheet under my foot when I needed a free hand, and then installed the pair of cleats shown below, which are used with caution.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115529[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]115530[/ATTACH]
                  Cam cleats!

Comment

• Scott de M
                    • Jan 2008

I posted this in another thread, but it seems to fit here too. One of the dangers of these small boats is dipping a rail and downfloading leading to capsize. So something to lessen the influx of water would seem to increase safety. In bigger boats this might be decking or a washstrake. Has anyone employed or considered some sort of spray cover along the gunwales to decrease the risk of downfloading? I don't think it would have to be completely waterproof just something to slow the inflow for the second or so that the rail is under. I'm envisioning something that could hang from the gunwale when not needed but then be tightened with a line or bungee when wanted.

Comment

• WI-Tom
                      Seaside Expat
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Scott de M
                      I posted this in another thread, but it seems to fit here too. One of the dangers of these small boats is dipping a rail and downfloading leading to capsize. So something to lessen the influx of water would seem to increase safety. In bigger boats this might be decking or a washstrake. Has anyone employed or considered some sort of spray cover along the gunwales to decrease the risk of downfloading? I don't think it would have to be completely waterproof just something to slow the inflow for the second or so that the rail is under. I'm envisioning something that could hang from the gunwale when not needed but then be tightened with a line or bungee when wanted.
                      In practice with my boat, I've concluded that downflooding isn't an immediate threat for capsizing. Here's the boat:

DSCN1212 (2).jpg

As you can see, low freeboard. The reserve stability doesn't really kick in until the leeward gunwale is right down at the water's surface. I've taken in water over the rail many times that way. Once I got comfortable knowing how the boat behaves, I've never thought that I was in danger of capsizing just from taking in water that way. Plenty of time to react appropriately once the rail dips--so far, anyway!

It's often a good signal that it might be time for another reef.

I suppose a wash strake would keep the boat drier in rail-dipping conditions, but from what I've seen, I don't think that would make it less likely to capsize.

Tom
                      Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• Scott de M
                        • Jan 2008

Great picture Tom. I've been getting more comfortable sailing my Caledonia Yawl with the rail right near the water and it seems very stable that way but I've never actually dipped the rail. I've been caught by gusts a couple times and I was sure the rail would dip but it just rounded up with out dipping. But this experience has got me thinking about what if it dips. Maybe it is not such a big deal - guess I need to push further and find out....

Comment

• WI-Tom
                          Seaside Expat
                          • Jan 2009

Great picture Tom. I've been getting more comfortable sailing my Caledonia Yawl with the rail right near the water and it seems very stable that way but I've never actually dipped the rail. I've been caught by gusts a couple times and I was sure the rail would dip but it just rounded up with out dipping. But this experience has got me thinking about what if it dips. Maybe it is not such a big deal - guess I need to push further and find out....
                          Well, I spent the entire first season with my boat sailing with one reef in the mainsail because I didn't trust the reserve stability yet, and thought that downflooding would mean capsizing. Gradually, I've come to believe otherwise.

I also did 2 capsize tests, and on the second one (2 people aboard), we leaned to leeward while sailing in 15+ mph winds (small lake, no waves). The rail dipped, we kept leaning to leeward, and the boat flooded. It was obviously "sunk" so we jumped out over the leeward rail to recover it. But then, once we were out, it re-righted itself. That also helped me not worry about downflooding quite so much.

But, every boat is different... It's wise, I think, to be thinking about these things, and to push the boundaries gradually, rather than suddenly!

Tom
                          Last edited by WI-Tom; 07-28-2022, 07:55 AM.
                          Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• The Jeff
                            • Nov 2010

I rather like the narrow side decks my First Mate has, they serve as a good warning that you're about to go over. On occasion I've sailed along with the rail buried and water halfway up the deck just for fun. Whenever I've had water actually come in I've been able to round up before it became dangerous.

One plus to sailing small boats is the ability to go 70 MPH to windward! I made it to New Jersey today to help my in-laws move and I hope to get some sailing in. Here's how to bring two trailers with you.

http://sailingmoga.com/

Comment

• WI-Tom
                              Seaside Expat
                              • Jan 2009

Hmm... One boat, two trailers. I've done it the other way 'round, too:

DSCF6296.jpg

Small trailer boats sure do increase your ability to reach distant cruising grounds quickly!

Tom
                              Last edited by WI-Tom; 07-29-2022, 07:29 AM.
                              Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• sp_clark
                                Here Before, Earlier Life
                                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by WI-Tom
                                It's wise, I think, to be thinking about these things, and to push the boundaries gradually, rather than suddenly!
                                100% in agreement there Tom, and your signature tag serves to remind of that axiom.

Good luck with your new adventure across the Big Pond to our east! Let us know of your new experiences when you have time.
                                "Because we are not divine, we must jettison the many burdens we cannot bear."

Mark Helprin, 2017

Comment

Working...