Thread: Fourth of July rant

Default Fourth of July rant

Fourth of July, Independence Day in the US, is a week away and already there's an asshole in our neighborhood lighting off explosions at various times of the night, from about ten in the evening to about two in the morning. Suddenly a bunch of small pops like a string of firecrackers, followed a minute or two later by a huge, window-rattling boom that feels like it's right over the house, with a following shower of incandescent stuff that sounds like loud radio static for a few seconds. I can visualize the raining sparks. I wish there were a way I could find the asshole and punch him several times after telling him to fcking stop the juvenile bullsh!t.

Every year. Fourth of July and New Years. It'll go on like this until well past the fourth. There are at least two other places, I think judging by the direction, residences within earshot, that light off similar barrages, but without the one big one that sounds like it's coming through the roof. Every time one of those happens, it jerks me out of my night-time revery, and the dogs and cats act like it's the end of the world. What I feel like doing, besides giving the asshole some wall-to-wall counseling, is to go outside right after and yell ASSHOLE as loud as I can. Punctuate his unlawful activity with that one word judgement. Let him and all his neighbors know my irritation. It's frustrating because of course I can't do that. And even if I were to do that and somehow get past my Wife, it prolly wouldn't stop the jerk.

It's bad enough that we live within earshot of a minor league baseball park, home of the River Cats, a farm team for the Oakland A's, that has a regular fireworks show after games. It's not so close but I can definitely tell it's the ballpark, and it goes on non-stop for at least twenty minutes.

Besides disturbing my peace and upsetting the pets, the illegal ones are a real fire danger, and in this time of extreme drought and record high temperatures, anywhere, even residential neighborhoods with canopies of green trees, are tinder ready to become instant wildfire. The kinds of fireworks that shoot up in the sky land somewhere, and if it happens to be my roof, or a neigbor's, at two in the a.m. we could very well wake up in the dark to a burning house. We have been having the hot dry winds here, as well, and it doesn't have to be in the forest or the woods or a rural area for a fire to quickly escape and turn devastatingly large.

I remember reading about a phone app that some municipalities use, you can download, to use to report the explosions to the local cops, who can then use the reports to triangulate and locate the source, but when I searched, there doesn't seem to be one for my area. I feel like the local cops are probably unlikely to investigate, let alone do anything, and I even have the unfounded suspicion that the assbite doing it actually is a cop.

Another thing that would be fun, but is strictly a revenge fantasy, would be to find out who it is and then go to his house at a time when he's likely to be involved in something other than making explosions, like having family time, watching the big game, or sleeping, and do a couple on his front porch or next to his bedroom window.

If this stuff had started happening a week ago when my Wife was out of town I'd've been inclined to go out and wait in the dark to follow the sounds to the source. But She'd come unglued and lecture me no end if I did. When I was a kid, my Old Man used to refer to Mom as 'the federal cops,' or just 'the feds.' Now I understand why.

Give me a break. She came home from Her junket last week with covid, and now I'm positive, too. They don't tell you one of the symptoms is an enlarged tendancy to impatience and irritation. It's a good thing, I guess, that my doc has me on a med to help with that.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Fourth of July rant

i hate the fuggin things....worse than rotokayaks.
    it's the confederates blowin em off

If you watch the news, every year, there's generally a spate of 'suspicious fires', same time. Arson? or just another misadventure?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Jim, I 'feel your pain' - One year, my BIL was living on our farm property and his (ne'er-do-well) son came to visit - they bought $150 of fireworks (not legal where the son lived - big city ) and proceeded to set them off on the property, despite my warnings of tall, dry grass - I was finding bottle rocket 'carcasses' in my hedgerows for weeks thereafter.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Fortunately they are not legal here, and the state puts up big displays for new year and other significat occasions. But as a kid the big fireworks day was Guy Fawkes Day where a few kids always blew off a couple of fingers.

Decades ago our infant son was scared witless by a-holes blowing off 4th of July fireworks for a week.
    I could have killed 'em.

Here in Vermont, we do have a few that blow the stuff off, but it's far enough in the distance to not be so bad.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

It's party time where I live, the weekend before and then the entire holiday weekend with sputterings for a couple weekends after that.

The problem is, it's party time for those who don't set them off as well as those who do. My local FB page has people asking where they're coming from so they can go get a good sightline and watch them.

Few want to stop the shows.

Last year I could see 5 shows from a single spot at the town beach. Keeps people away from the rat race town event. Fewer cars, fewer parking problems, more food for mosquitoes all around town.

Not having a dog, or being a dog like-er, I thrill to good fireworks. I love them, they evoke "awwww"s and "wow"s from me, and getting out the good camera and tripod to shoot them is great fun.

So although I sympathize, I just can't go curmudgeon on the issue.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

We can't really celebrate when the dogs are so upset. I understand that the cops can't really handle this and they have bigger problems. In leu of vigilante justice we sought help from the veterinarian. We now have Trazadone in our stash of dogy drugs. This will be our first fireworks holiday to try it out.

The neighbors do some amount of popping for the entire time that fireworks are available. We can't keep the dogs stoned for 2 weeks but they will be high on the fourth.

At my place, it’s actual firearms most of the year. Occasional tanerite (boom). The fireworks are pretty tame by comparison.

I actually do not understand the "fun" in fireworks. Every year work puts on a huge show for the guests, They spend millions for a 15 minute show. I wind up spending a week outside running power for all the vendors, bars, reefers, and the radio station that broadcasts it. Then I spend all evening till the week hours putting it away.

I am glad for my hernia, first year in almost 20 I did not have to work that awful thing.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Art, we used to rent an apartment in Anaheim, CA. back in 1971 / 1972 - the back porch had a direct sightline to Disneyland, and we were regularly 'treated' to their end-of- evening fireworks displays. Well worth the rent ! !
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Our island city banned fireworks a couple of years ago. That didn't stop our idiot neighbors from lighting off one last year in the midst of a very dry heat wave. I heard one bang and yelled over that if I heard another I'd be on 911 in an instant. Got a "sorry" back. Good enough for me. Hopefully they'll remember this year.

The peninsula across the water still allows them though. It is a good show at that distance. Close enough to see but not loud enough to be a bother.

Jeff

geez. be sure you actually go outside and shake your fist in the air while you grump about the festive displays.