Thread: Unpacking SCOTUS

Default Unpacking SCOTUS

Instead of packing SCOTUS, how about we make them term-limited? Suppose a SCOTUS judge sat for 9 years, or even 11 years. Make it an odd number and stagger them. Make it long enough that even a 2-term POTUS can't remake the entire court. Then every POTUS will appoint 1 judge every year or two, perhaps renewing their appointment and perhaps changing the politics of the court.

Imagine if Clarence Thomas came up for renewal? I am salivating at the very idea of it!

Yes, SCOTUS would have waves of liberal and conservative influence, but it would be slow. More importantly, a POTUS can't appoint 45 year old who poisons the court for 30 years.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Unpacking SCOTUS

Great idea if you can figure out how to implement it.

Given the current state of things politically, I won't be surprised if someone decides to "unpack" some of the court through violence. N.B. I do not condone killing justices, but when lifetime appointees, who arguably lied (or at least were intentionally misleading) in their Senate approval hearings, are perceived to overstep the bounds as egregiously as they have done recently...

Well, what recourse is there? Votes? Nope. Lifetime appointment. Impeachment? Nope. Not without 67 votes to convict.

How long before "bullets" or "bombs" start to seem like options to some?

Radicalism, extremism, etc. are a real threat to our political stability. We have gone a long time without significant political violence--targeted killings of political figures. I fear that streak of (mostly) peaceful reactions might be brought to an end soon. Sow enough wind, and eventually there will be a whirlwind somewhere. The only thing we have going for us, I think, is that violence has historically been much more of a tool for the right wing than for the left in U.S. culture.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

The Constitution says they are to be appointed for life, so your idea is a complete non-starter in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Article 3
    The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour,
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 06-26-2022 at 09:33 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

It would make the Court more democratic. But there are reasons why it was made un-democratic in the first place.

"The left" badly needs to focus on the fundamental weaknesses of the enemy.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

^Which is what? They seem to be doing pretty good despite being in the minority.
    Steve Martinsen

I was wondering how long before the 'second amendment solution' came up.

It would seem that the US does have codes of ethics, we call them Codes of Practice, that you public servants are required to sign up to.
    https://www.unodc.org/documents/corr...itedStates.pdf

Maybe they need tightened up to require that the Supreme Court justices et al. leave their religion and politics at home when working.
    They should require impartiality in their work.
    Yous guys will know best how to amend the wording to the desired ends.

Is there an independent oversight body with teeth to deal with oath breakers? Do you need one?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I think terms would be a good idea. Implementing it would take a constitutional amendment. Don't bet more on it than you want to lose.

Impeachment is easier, but not under current circumstances.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

load the court.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I think terms would be a good idea. Implementing it would take a constitutional amendment.
    It's been done before.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Choose one reform. Seek to implement it through a Constitutional Amendment. Should be easier that the Religious Right's multi decade political activism to eventually have the Presidential court nominations.

Oh by the way, our Right Wing worse nightmare is a Constitutional Convention. And its funny how an Amendment nearing passage can spontaneously erupt into a Constitutional Convention. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conven...s_Constitution
    Last edited by Landrith; 06-27-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    The Constitution says they are to be appointed for life, so your idea is a complete non-starter in the real world.
    So. Maybe, just maybe, the constitution is faulty?

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    load the court.

So if libs load the court in a emotional fit then if Republicans win they should load it more, right? Dont think libs thought this through.

Nah. Even the yahoos know that the Republican gamed the system, resulting in a remarkable imbalance in the USSC. Need a correction.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Nah. Even the yahoos know that the Republican gamed the system, resulting in a remarkable imbalance in the USSC. Need a correction.
    They know the first part, George. And they celebrate it. But I am quite sure most of them do not accept or understand the bolded bit.

I'm all in favor of packing the court to create a correction. But make no mistake, it would trigger right-wingers to a frenzy.

My argument is, you can't make Republicans worse than they are anyway. They will continue to ignore the rule of law and subvert democracy whether the court is packed or not. The only question is, do we want to pack the court and at least have some fairness for at least a little while? And possibly longer, if Democrats win the White House in 2024?

Or do we want to cave now and let Republicans do whatever they want with no consequences?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Not so true. We used and abused our religious right social conservative wing of the party. They were often the only manpower the mainstream moderate GOP had. Usually only translating into the national office and wins in the presidency. It must have been an endless joke to the Bush family dynasty.

Just like under Trump, the numbers for legislative success were rarely there for the moderate GOP presidents to implement policy. All they could usually do was get nominations for judges through the confirmation process. Even then, like with Judge Bork, there sometimes wasn't enough strength in the Senate to do that.

Decades later it may seem like a masterful plan, but it was just an unintended consequence of being the weaker party. Trust me no Bush president or cabinet member or loyal senate retainer to the Bush family ever had reversing Roe v Wade as a goal. It was just to exploit the Religious Right through fraud.
    Last edited by Landrith; 06-27-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Agree with you 100%.

How often does that happen?

Agree with you 100%.

How often does that happen?
    Lol never. Its like there really is only one reality!