Thread: Planning another European Ride - Alps & Dolomites

Default Planning another European Ride - Alps & Dolomites

A great ride is what I need. 10 day plus booked weekends. Looking at airfares. Traveling very light (everything must fit into the two bike panneirs) staying at 2 star hotels with some grand exceptions. 2500 miles.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 9.20.36 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 9.25.31 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 9.27.05 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 9.27.38 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-26-2022 at 12:06 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Planning another European Ride - Alps & Dolomites

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-26-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-26-2022 at 11:59 AM.

What time of year Ted?

Might I suggest a detour to Piran, Slovenia?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    What time of year Ted?

Might I suggest a detour to Piran, Slovenia?
    I am shooting for August depending on life and airfares. I would like to pick up airfare for around $1,000 which would mean more money to spend on the bike and road travel. Insurance will be for the month; 200 euros. I already owe 300 for the storage for this year. I would love to go to Slovenia but have concerns about riding my 42 year old bike there. Solo riding means I have to be more situationally aware and careful of the bike, treating it more kindly. I may be wrong but having a place to safely stash the bike if it poops out is a pretty valid concern. Also being registered outside the EU makes my collectors bike a certain interesting target among those inclined to take it from me. My riding plans are not your style but I do love both the nice simple and dashes of luxury. I often think that a new 300cc two lane bike and a tent is the ticket for further exploration to places further east - it may becoming that time in the next years and bringing back home Villia.

I really need a weekend to sort out my much loved airhead - she has now sat 2 years. Tires may be needed, battery may not hold a charge, fluids changed, things lubed. Of all the things I think I may possess, it is my most favorite. I have tried to ride Stelvio but has been snowed in or work was being done every time I am near. The other passes are fun too. I do like to ride and at the end of the day I know I have a safe place to park, a nice inexpensive dinner and a single glass of beer or wine, sleep in a comfortable bed and wake up to a breakfast of good coffee and morning foods set out with love and care. And although I love riding my other motorcycle that I have here in the states - it is not the same.

I need a head clearing riding trip as I am so wound up. Personal changes and directions. I spent the day solo sailing yesterday sailing miles and going out in a few minutes again. It might be my last summer with these amazing boats that take so much time and hard earned cash. They certainly do not give the sense of freedom that delivers that road blankheadedness i need to be free of personal criticisms that race across my thoughts; when i get on my old bike on a series of a beautiful well cared for roads in gorgeous places that i do not speak the common language i am for those hours and days free.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-26-2022 at 12:58 PM.

What a trip! Hope it works out.

I checked a while back and the price drop in September was dramatic.

The route looks incredible and ambitious as always! August is hot, my advice, stay high, but you know that.

Not sure why you feel Slovenia has an increased theft risk, or why you'd not enter it because of worrying over mechanical problems more than any other place you ride. I'm also not sure why you say a 42 year old US import (originally from DE) would be a theft target. Ok, old airheads are desirable, but an airhead is an airhead, no matter where it came from but I imagine way down on the theft list from easier flippable bikes. An Abus Granit disk lock with alarm, and a GPS tracker (Minimoto etc hidden in the guts) pretty much take care of security concerns. I'd be more worried about Italy personally, but anyway.

August probably isn't going to work for me, but anyway it sounds like you need to be on your own, doing your own thing. Reset, I get it.

Amazing plan Ted. Go do it.

Martin.

i must admit, ted, this is grabbing life by the short and curlies.

cheering for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

I really need a weekend to sort out my much loved airhead - she has now sat 2 years. Tires may be needed, battery may not hold a charge, fluids changed, things lubed.
    Do not forget to get a new vehicle road worthy test certificate, or your insurance will be invalid. Book ahead, they are busy in August.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i must admit, ted, this is grabbing life by the short and curlies.

cheering for you!
    Thank you.

As Rob has said. If not now, When?

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim 68 View Post
    Do not forget to get a new vehicle road worthy test certificate, or your insurance will be invalid. Book ahead, they are busy in August.
    Won't need it. It is not going to be tested and I am just passing through on my green bonded insurance California plated bike along with a passport, valid driver licence, health insurance, evacuation policy and a valid vax card. the issuer of the green insurance holds on to the title of the bike in my name. authorities assume I am bringing home my bike this year and i renew the bikes paperwork each year showing it is passing through. September may also work as other members have shown interest joining me in part of the ride.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-26-2022 at 02:17 PM.

TUV or DEKRA may not see it that way Ted. Are you sure you don't need such a cert just because your bike is has American paperwork, even though you'll be riding in EU?

I'd be very surprised at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Won't need it. It is not going to be tested and I am just passing through on my green bonded insurance California plated bike along with a passport, valid driver licence, health insurance, evacuation policy and a valid vax card. the issuer of the green insurance holds on to the title of the bike in my name. authorities assume I am bringing home my bike this year and i renew the bikes paperwork each year showing it is passing through. September may also work as other members have shown interest joining me in part of the ride.
    Why do the authorities "assume" you are bringing the bike home at the end of the year, have they had that assumption for the past 7 years? What have you written on a form that makes them assume that?
    So your bike has no legal test certificate to be ridden in the EU, and you have not had one since the bike has been in the EU , yet you say you are insured. Have you disclosed to your insurer that the bike has been in the EU for the past 7 years and has no current valid test certificate ? For some one who says they have insurance, you seem to worry unreasonably about theft . Like others, I wish you a safe trip, and hope you avoid blue flashing lights in your mirrors, and any awkward questions regarding the import date of your motorcycle..

It would be a service to others to divulge your insurer, that let people ride in the EU with no valid vehicle test for 7 years, with such low premiums, considering the risk involved.

If you ever have an accident and your health insurance find you are riding a vehicle that is not legal (forget your loopholes) , they will treat you as they would as someone who had an incident while diving under the influence of alcohol or drugs......your cover will cease to exist.

If the bike is still registered in US I don't think it needs TUV check.
    Regular tests don't exist in all europeans countries.
    They will be introduced next october in France. Supposedly.

However over 6 months after import in Europe, the VAT has to be paid, along with other smart taxes...
    But for sure, Stefan where the bike is kept, knows everything about that.
    Last edited by Rapelapente; 06-27-2022 at 03:21 AM.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

If the bike is inspected in the country of origin and has the green card insurance, it's gonna be ok. You're covered by the insurer in the country of origin.

If I were you, I'd spend more time in Swiss Alps.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by WszystekPoTrochu View Post
    If the bike is inspected in the country of origin and has the green card insurance, it's gonna be ok. You're covered by the insurer in the country of origin.

Yes and no.

Yes, if he temporary imported the bike to enter the EU as a tourist and then left the block with the bike within 12 months.

No, because the bike was imported into Germany and has been based in Germany for 7 years, but without re-registering (illegal).

What is the validity term of a Californian motorcycle test?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapelapente View Post
    If the bike is still registered in US I don't think it needs TUV check.
    Regular tests don't exist in all europeans countries.
    They will be introduced next october in France. Supposedly.

However over 6 months after import in Europe, the VAT has to be paid, along with other smart taxes...
    But for sure, Stefan where the bike is kept, knows everything about that.
    Stefan has this squared away. There are a few more folks that do this too in Spain both in Barcelona and Madrid, in Tours, and even Bulgaria. Stefan has it really squared away and works directly with BMW Motorrad who actively support him in Germany and throughout Europe.

The real issue is that non residents usually can not register them. I understand there is place in Ireland that will register the bike (or car) for patrons so they could get EU plates.

I have found there are many great reasons to have a California plated bike in the EU. Some of them are significant and not evident on its face. The last time I was stopped, the Italian border police officer and the Swiss counterparts just wanted a photo of him on the bike to send to his wife and buddies.

If all I/we did was Alp riding, a Lake Como overnight and a dip in the Mediterranean - that would be fantastic.

ohhh...

Definitely take some on board video with you Ted. Even a GoPro or DJI Osmo or some such. I have 2 flexible goosenecks mounted, one on handlebars, one facing rear from pannier rack... How I shot this, and numerous other short films. I don't publish them much, but passes such as what you are proposing demand more than a few stills I would have thought. Especially for a man of your talents.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Definitely take some on board video with you Ted. Even a GoPro or DJI Osmo or some such. I have 2 flexible goosenecks mounted, one on handlebars, one facing rear from pannier rack... How I shot this, and numerous other short films. I don't publish them much, but passes such as what you are proposing demand more than a few stills I would have thought. Especially for a man of your talents.

Nice video!

I do want to take the my DJI pocket and a gopro on the ride. it has to fit in a tank bag in this minimalist planned adventure.

I had a boat returned to me, Paul and sailed it hard in the Master Mariners regatta, now I have to fix up and sell to go. Slip fees for July just ate up some more fun ride money or about 4 days on the road. If I hadn't taken it back I could have been gone for a month.

37056580263_2ba44fe27c_b.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-29-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Geeze it sounds complicated. I’m walking next time.

Nice itinerary. I’d love to do a ride like that. For now it’s only more local