Thread: Scotlandís Places to see too!

Default Scotlandís Places to see too!

Being inspired by Fitzís Ireland must see post, and as Andy G suggested, I thought Iíd submit a post to get some of dead of things to do, places to see, restaurants, pubs, nice friendly places off the heavy tourist path, etc.
    we fly in to Glasgow, using it as a hub for a while, then to Inverness for a few days. From there we drive to Aberdeen for a couple days, then drive to Edinburgh. We have some day trips planned, but weíd love some advice from others on those local must see places.

Default Re: Scotlandís Places to see too!

All depends on what your interests are.....

The Burrell collection - The Kelvingrove Art Gallery - The Hunterian - in Glasgow.

The Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel.

The Millenium Clock in Edinburgh.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

There are some hiking paths across Scotland and tour groups that move your luggage between pubs. You get up, pack a day bag, hike until it's time for a drink, and settle in for the night. I had a friend do it twice and he loved it.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

All but the Millennium clock are on our itinerary. We will check that out! We will have a day out on the Jacobite. With the exception of our time in Edinburgh, we will be driving. We had some great suggestions from folks we met while we were in Ireland. That’s where we heard about the South Pole Inn. The man who started that pub was with Shackleford’s exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    All depends on what your interests are.....

The Burrell collection - The Kelvingrove Art Gallery - The Hunterian - in Glasgow.

The Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel.

The Millenium Clock in Edinburgh.
    The Burrell is a must.
    I would add Charles Rennie Mackintosh in Glasgow
    https://www.thelighthouse.co.uk/
    https://www.mackintoshatthewillow.com/
    https://www.thechaoticscot.com/charl...ntosh-glasgow/

In Edinburgh, Mary King's Close under the City Chambers on The Royal Mile is of interest.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

If you're a MacKintosh fan then the Scotland Street School would be high on the list - I believe that it's currently closed don't know when it might re-open but the exterior alone is worth a glance.

Hill House. - classic in great scenery.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I'm not surprised at not driving in Edinburgh it's now very car unfriendly.. however the combined tram and bus all day ticket is a bargain.
    Edinburgh,
    The national gallery, my sister was a guide till she retired.
    Edinburgh castle, of course, where Dad worked which was great for free parking for me no use to you..
    Underground Edinburgh, historic streets shops houses all under ground.

14 ish miles to the east, the Bo'ness and Kinneil Steam railway and museum. Just south of that Linlithgow palace and they're not far from the aforementioned Kelpie's, which I'll see again in a couple of weeks..
    Last edited by The Q; 06-26-2022 at 12:41 PM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Glasgow to Inverness by car ... I'd go the Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Fort William, Great Glen route in preference to the eastside A9, any day.

Aberdeen? It's not a 'must-see' in my book, but if you do go that way before heading south, Dundee is good - at which point you have a difficult choice. Perth and Stirling (especially) are stunning, but so is the coastal route via St.Andrews around Fife, and (cross county) the Fife countryside. Tough choice.

When you're in Edinburgh, don't forget that you're an hour away from plenty of attractions outside the city. Public transport is good - I've vowed never to drive in Edinburgh again...it's horrendously unfriendly for cars, as mentioned earlier.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

i' VE BIKED (PEDAL) QUITE A FEW TIMES AROUND SCOTLAN, LOVED IT...HAVE NO IDEA WHAT PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR BUT, i'VE HAD FANTASTIC TRIP.nEVER TOOK A CAR, SAW MOREBY PUSHING MYSELF A LONG AT MY PACE.

Default Scotland’s Places to see too!

What AndyG said. Also Isle of Skye. Drive on south (east?) shore of Loch Ness from Ft Augustus to Inverness.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the Hop Scotch ferry to other end of isle of skye. nice bike ride and ferry is fun.

I would always want to visit the Western Isles.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Beautiful Andrew. the road less travelled for sure

Unfortunately the closest we will get to the western isles will be Oban. We are taking a train from Glasgow to Oban for just a short day trip. Thanks for the heads up on the Burrell collection. And MacKintosh. Amazingly, most of the rest are already in our plans. Ft. William, we will catch a ride on the Jacobite from there. We will see the last evening of the Military Tattoo at the castle (I think) in Edinburgh. It’s exciting. On my dad’s (maternal) side, my great (x4) grandfather emigrated from Scotland.

Default Re: Scotland’s Places to see too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Sawyer View Post
    Also Isle of Skye. Drive on south (east?) shore of Loch Ness from Ft Augustus to Inverness.
    Skye is stunning. And, yes, the less driven south side of the Great Glen is so much better than the north.

(During our honeymoon in a far-distant hunting lodge SW of Inverness, we discovered a road dropping off the mountain to the main(ish) road south of Loch Ness that was both hairpin bends and a primordial Nessie hang out...awesome, and that was mid October.)

No midgies, short days but - if the weather works - they can be the best places on the planet.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

I really like Oban, and of course you must take the train.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I biked, Oban highland games...good time!

Note's for Edinburgh Tattoo,
    It's held on the outer Bailey, known in Edinburgh as the esplanade. Mostly tarmacked these days.

The viewing stands for the general Public hang out over the walls on the higher levels. The VIP stand is above the entrance to the Esplanade from the Royal Mile.
    Being very high up it can be very cold and sometimes wet and windy. Even the old VIP Stand was chilly and that was in Boxes!!
    Take full covering waterproofs, certainly windproof clothing.

The show is 90 minutes but with arrival time and waiting to get out expect to take 2.5 to 3 hours.

The seats are Hard in the general public stands, something soft to sit on is a good idea..

Yes, Oban is a nice place been there many times for the ferry to the outer Hebridies..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Thank you for the advice. We were told the weather can be cold and wet at the tattoo. Thanks for the advice on the seating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk