Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Festival of Speed 2022

Default Goodwood Festival of Speed 2022

While some of you are gadding about at the WBS,I took myself off to the south coast,braving extensive roadworks and avoiding striking railways.The travelling was more trouble than it should have been but unavoidable and the selection of cars present was back up to normal standards after last year's slightly thin selection.I do have quite a lot of image files but re-sizing them is a bit of a chore.

SF90.jpg

Austin 7 van.jpg

Delahaye 135MS.jpg

Default Re: Goodwood Festival of Speed 2022

Very nice! Thanks for those!

Thanks John.

Was the Billy Fiske Blower Bentley there this year?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

And now for something different.

What is the McMurtry Spéirling? It's an all-electric, rear-wheel-drive weapon that uses two fans to suck air out from underneath the car and pull the car to the road. It's ground effect at its finest, because the car doesn't need to be moving and have airflow over the car to generate downforce - in fact with the fans on, even stationary, there's 2,000kg of downforce pressing the sub-1,000kg Spéirling into the tarmac. At 150mph, there's 2,250kg of downforce. Oh, and did we mention it hits 62mph in 1.5 seconds? One point five.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-c...wood-hill-run/

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    While some of you are gadding about at the WBS,I took myself off to the south coast,braving extensive roadworks and avoiding striking railways.The travelling was more trouble than it should have been but unavoidable and the selection of cars present was back up to normal standards after last year's slightly thin selection.I do have quite a lot of image files but re-sizing them is a bit of a chore.

Delahaye 135MS.jpg
    Thank you for the pictures.

What is this car? It's lovely!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
    And now for something different.

What is the McMurtry Spéirling? It's an all-electric, rear-wheel-drive weapon that uses two fans to suck air out from underneath the car and pull the car to the road. It's ground effect at its finest, because the car doesn't need to be moving and have airflow over the car to generate downforce - in fact with the fans on, even stationary, there's 2,000kg of downforce pressing the sub-1,000kg Spéirling into the tarmac. At 150mph, there's 2,250kg of downforce. Oh, and did we mention it hits 62mph in 1.5 seconds? One point five.
    The Chaparral had gas driven fans to do that back in the 60s. No 0-60 time like that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Thank you for the pictures.

What is this car? It's lovely!
    Ça doit être un Delahaye - peut-être le modèle 165? Français- et complètement de trop!
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 06-26-2022 at 06:52 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Merci!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Was the Billy Fiske Blower Bentley there this year?
    The only blower Bentley I saw was this one and I suspect it may be one of the continuation models.

Blower Bentley.jpg

the blower.jpg
    The Delahaye was a 135 MS and rather splendid.

Those of you who enjoy mechanical complexity might find things to admire in this BRM H16.

BRM H 16.jpg

A few more and then I think I will post others on the epic car thread that has just been bumped a dozen or so pages.

C8.jpg

Sharknose Ferrari.jpg

teapot.jpg

The Chaparral had gas driven fans to do that back in the 60s. No 0-60 time like that though.

I recall guys hating to drive behind that thing because it threw every rock and bit of tire chunks behind it...sort of like driving through a rockstorm.

Not even sure what I am looking at. Is that two V-8s sitting at 90 degrees to normal?

On doing some research I guess it's two straight 8s sitting on top each other. Cool.

Ok try number 3, two V-8s sitting on top each other.
    Wikipedia seems to cover the car much more the the motor, more pictures would be nice.
    Last edited by ShorelineJohn; 06-27-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    Not even sure what I am looking at. Is that two V-8s sitting at 90 degrees to normal?

On doing some research I guess it's two straight 8s sitting on top each other. Cool.

Ok try number 3, two V-8s sitting on top each other.
    Wikipedia seems to cover the car much more the the motor, more pictures would be nice.
    2 "flat" 8's geared together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRM_P83

So that seems even stranger, the term "flat" is not used much, maybe because the motor is not very popular.
    Much more on the motor type.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine
    But very little on that time period.

So that seems even stranger, the term "flat" is not used much, maybe because the motor is not very popular.
    Much more on the motor type.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine
    But very little on that time period.
    Ummmm... Subaru, Porsche, & VW. All Subarus are flat 4s or 6s. 911s are flat 6s & every bug & bus was a flat 4.

Some referred to the BRM as an H16.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Ummmm... Subaru, Porsche, & VW. All Subarus are flat 4s or 6s. 911s are flat 6s & every bug & bus was a flat 4.
    Those are "Boxer" motor, not the same thing at all. I have owned more Corvairs than some people have owned cars. The horizontal-opposed motor is very different if the heads of the piston face each other.
    If it is 2 boxer 8s on top of each other does it have 16 exhaust pipes? Wish there was a better view.

Two flat eight boxer motors (same thing in UK English) on top of one another; 16 pipes.
    Jim Clarke's Lotus BRM seems to be in trouble.

h 16.jpg
    Last edited by birlinn; 06-28-2022 at 04:27 AM.

Those are "Boxer" motor, not the same thing at all. I have owned more Corvairs than some people have owned cars. The horizontal-opposed motor is very different if the heads of the piston face each other.
    If it is 2 boxer 8s on top of each other does it have 16 exhaust pipes? Wish there was a better view.
    Yep - 16. As far as flat vs. boxer, I too always understood them to be the same thing. My apologies for forgetting the Corvair - though I only owned one. Here are some other pics (can't copy them): https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...50.html#agal_3

nice thread john
    thanks for putting it up
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thanks for the picture, it shows that much better. I guess it's a "Pancake double stack 16".
    It is a compact setup for a 16 cylinder motor.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Two flat eight boxer motors (same thing in UK English) on top of one another; 16 pipes.
    Jim Clarke's Lotus BRM seems to be in trouble.

h 16.jpg
    Made a glorious noise during the fleeting moments when it actually ran. What the B for in BRM?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I thought BRM referred to it as an "H-16"...but that was from over 50 years ago. There's a nice youtube of one being started and run briefly online. Sounds great

BRM
    British Racing Motors.
    That engine was usually referred to as an H-16.
    Napier built twin crank H-16 and H-24 aero engines- the Sabre could eventually churn out 5,000 bhp without letting go, in WW2.

AFAIR, it was always referred to as an H-16. Lotus used it as a stop gap, before they got the Cosworth/Ford V8 DFV.
    BRM had form with 16 cylinders, the ambitious V-16 1.5 litre centrifugal blown engine could manage something like 700hp, but was a 'little' difficult to manage, due to the exponential output from the blower. Raymond Mays and his engine designer were basically talented amateurs, who got lucky from time to time.

It is I think generally known that the British FI cottage industry got its real start not from Raymond Mays and ERA which morphed into BRM but from Tony Vandervell losing patience with Mays, going on his own and getting ripped off and taken for a fool by Enzo Ferrari.

The Law of Unintended Consequences…
    Colin Chapman, Frank Costin, Harry Weslake…
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 06-28-2022 at 12:44 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I'd add John Cooper to the list since he introduced the idea of the engine behind the driver. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_T51

Interesting thread, thanks from here too. The complexity and weight of that H 16, man.
    In my little world the six cylinder in my MG underperforms in stock guise partly because of the extra friction caused by a 7 bearing crank. It makes a strong and smooth engine compared to the big 6 Healey motor , which had 5 bearings ,but the MG 6 had less power with the same specs. When you look at that H 16 and its complexity... 2 crankshafts for goodness sake, it must have been a hard lesson.
    Last edited by John B; 06-28-2022 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Interesting thread, thanks from here too. The complexity and weight of that H 16, man.
    In my little world the six cylinder in my MG underperforms in stock guise partly because of the extra friction caused by a 7 bearing crank. It makes a strong and smooth engine compared to the big 6 Healey motor , which had 5 bearings ,but less power . When you look at that H 16 and its complexity... 2 crankshafts for goodness sake, it must have been a hard lesson.
    MGA 3 bearing cranks would whip out of shape dramatically. I don't think it's the friction of your 7 main bearings - but more likely cylinder head/combustion chamber design. A 4 valve cross-flow head would make a big difference I bet. Heck, Jag had 1 HP/ cubic inch in 1948. Only 2 valves, but far more modern design - and 7 mains.

MGA 3 bearing cranks would whip out of shape dramatically. I don't think it's the friction of your 7 main bearings - but more likely cylinder head/combustion chamber design. A 4 valve cross-flow head would make a big difference I bet. Heck, Jag had 1 HP/ cubic inch in 1948. Only 2 valves, but far more modern design - and 7 mains.
    Its often commented on Garret, the crank effect might not be much but I've seen that referrred to over a few sources over the years and not just with my particular motor. Absolutely agree on the cross flow, even the inlet manifold design on the MG is pathetic. Guys get massive improvements with revised intake and exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Its often commented on Garret, the crank effect might not be much but I've seen that referrred to over a few sources over the years and not just with my particular motor. Absolutely agree on the cross flow, even the inlet manifold design on the MG is pathetic. Guys get massive improvements with revised intake and exhaust.
    For sure 7 shell bearings have more friction than 5 - but I kinda like solid support on each side of the rod journal. As an aside, I've always wondered why more companies didn't adopt head designs more like the Jag's much earlier. Of course double overhead cams are more 'spensive, but I'd think the crossflow concept could be used in a pushrod engine. Of course Triumph was using a tractor engine & Volvo a ship's pump engine, but still...

the big three all made hemispherical cross flow heads for most of their major pushrod engine families
    chevy and ford have certainly shown in their well developed racing small blocks that cross flow valve orientation isnt necessary for good breathing
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Chevy and Ford small blocks are cross flow, no?
    Drift:
    crossflow engine 1902
    https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...car_engine.jpg
    20F8E22E-CE14-46BE-9EB8-E3725CF779B7.jpg
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 06-28-2022 at 10:22 PM.