Thread: Success Selling a Small Boat?

Default Success Selling a Small Boat?

Where have you listed for good results? I've had success on Craigslist, and the now defunct Messing About In Boats.
    I know I can list in the WB magazine, but it might takes weeks to see print. Has anyone sold in the online WB listings? Or Ebay? Facebook Marketplace now wants my SSN, so that's out. I would like to get this dinghy out of my yard before my wife gets tired of looking at it. Thanks.

Default Re: Success Selling a Small Boat?

For speed of dispatch I'd go with facebook marketplace.
    What color are their hands now?

I would recommend:

Sailingtexas.com (not just for Texas, there are a lot of boats on there)
    Local Craigslist, because there are search sites like searchtempest.com that let buyers do national searches for keywords

I sold off a lot of excess marine accessories over the last year and FB Marketplace beats Craigslist hands down. It even facilitates shipping and payment, if needed.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The last boat I sold was through an online classified on Small Boats Monthly.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I sold off a lot of excess marine accessories over the last year and FB Marketplace beats Craigslist hands down. It even facilitates shipping and payment, if needed.

Kevin
    I think a lot more people see the ad on Facebook than Craigslist, thoughI've got a Vespa scooter listed on both, and the illiteracy and ill-mannered quality of the responses from Facebook beggar the imagination. Out of at least 10 responses, only one of them has been civil and what you might call adult.

Watching with interest. I have eight small boats and should at least sell the 15' dinghy to free up space.
    I don't do Facebook so that's out.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

I've never had a bad experience with Craigslist. Whereas I have had, in the distant past, a bad experience using Facebook. Why do people think that FB, a site that is known to harbor all sorts of trolls and misinformation merchants, is a better place to do business?

Jeff

I have sold a number of boats donated to our Sea Scout ship on Craigslist. Never any issues
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Is the dinghy home built or from a manufacturer? I sold a used dinghy through the manufacturers used boat listings. There was a selling commission, but the price it got was far higher than a CL sale would have brought.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I've never had a bad experience with Craigslist. Whereas I have had, in the distant past, a bad experience using Facebook. Why do people think that FB, a site that is known to harbor all sorts of trolls and misinformation merchants, is a better place to do business?

Jeff

I put my Vespa on Facebook because I buy lots of stuff there, it's easy, and it's free. I also put it on Craigslist, which I've never really thought of as a classy place, but compared to Facebook, it's like black tie. Meanwhile, Craigslist now charges $5 for a vehicle listing, which I think probably winnows out a lot of garbage posters.

I favor Craigslist. Also, if there's a regional club that caters to people who use what you have for sale, put it on their facebook page. For example, kayaks on area kayak clubs' facebook pages go quickly and you usually find yourself dealing with decent people.
    -Dave

Thanks guys. I made posts in The TSCA and WoodenBoat groups on FB, not yet on Marketplace. I'll do Craigslist soon. The boat is a glued lap dory tender, I don't think there are any local groups for such a boat.

I decided not to. keep my CLC Peeler Skiff and put it on Craigs List. Could have sold it 4 times the first day. Went to a nice couple down in Portland ME.

With Facebook being more streamlined, and people being so incredibly lazy, Craigslist is only a shadow of what it was 2 or 3 years ago. I keep hoping it makes a comeback, because I hate FB, but the fact is, you'll never get the same money on Craigslist, because the amount of traffic is far less than FB Marketplace.

Facebook Marketplace
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I don't know if you have this down in the States, but in Canada Kijiji is the go-to for used stuff. I get pretty much everything there. Cars, boats, teakettles, etc. Kind of an updated Craigslist.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

The boat sold today through Craigslist. A man with kids is taking it to his family summer home. He says his dad will cry when he sees it, as the grandfather previously had a gray lapstrake wooden rowboat out there.
    I got my only serious contacts through Craigslist. The Small Boats Monthly ad generated only spam ("I want to buy your item"), the WB online ad no replies. CL resulted in two serious enthusiastic buyers, a couple of casual inquiries, and a couple of possible spam ("Is this available?")
    I'm very glad that I owned it, and that someone else will enjoy it now, especially the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    For speed of dispatch I'd go with facebook marketplace.
    I 2nd FB Market place