Thread: Melonseed bottom repair

Default Melonseed bottom repair

I am repairing the bottom of a Barto melonseed. There was rot in the bottom near a plugged drain.

I can taper towards the bow and the stern of the hole. Should I taper the sides to get the required 12:1 ratio since the rot went to the edge of the bottom?

Plan is to fiberglass to the 1/2" thickness with 737 fabric or similar.

Rick
    IMG_5147.jpgIMG_5152.jpg

Default Re: Melonseed bottom repair

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_NJ View Post
    I am repairing the bottom of a Barto melonseed. There was rot in the bottom near a plugged drain.

I can taper towards the bow and the stern of the hole. Should I taper the sides to get the required 12:1 ratio since the rot went to the edge of the bottom?

Plan is to fiberglass to the 1/2" thickness with 737 fabric or similar.

Rick
    IMG_5152.jpg
    I would make the hole rectangular, tale it out to the seam with the garboard strake, and fit a ply patch, with at least 1:6 tapers.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I would make the hole rectangular, tale it out to the seam with the garboard strake, and fit a ply patch, with at least 1:6 tapers.
    This is something I have considered as well instead of making the entire bottom fiberglass.

If I refit a drain in the same area I am thinking a fiberglass bottom would prevent a repeat of what happened.

The hull seems to have been cold molded. You can see the diagonal lamination edges in the photo so there is not a garboard strake.

Any thoughts about what to do for the rear of the centerboard case area since you cannot taper into that area. Maybe just sand down that area and apply fiberglass tape to joint to the centerboard case?

Rick

I would also use a ply patch and maybe even glass on top of it.
    It would be hard to match that complicated shape and taper.
    As suggested a rectangle maybe going up both sides of the board with a slot or just going up one side of the board.
    I wonder about just using a built of glass patch like you were saying. I could see it working but I guess I would want to patch the hull with a similar material.

If a ply patch, there's a ledge along the bottom of the centerboard that you will be gluing/fastening too yes?
    Wouldn't that do the trick?
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 06-24-2022 at 10:58 PM.

It looks like the damaged area is confined to the flat part of the Barto hull. A plywood patch notched to fit the CB trunk, tapered elsewhere, fastened to the CB trunk base, floors and inner keel, then glassed or Dyneled should do it.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

I followed the advice and squared off the hole. I made a template and I have roughed out the patch from 1/2 Marine Ply. When I lay the epoxy and fiberglass in the taper should I cut each fiberglass strip narrower to fill the taper or lay the fiberglass tape at full width and then sand it down flush after the resin has cured?

AF37DE4B-BECB-4311-BAE7-D720F6D9D5D2.jpg

IMG_5535.jpg